3DXChat Community

Error 1020 Access Denied

panther0299

4 minutes ago, Whitesnake said:

Cool, but I fail to understand what the crash could do that a restart can't solve. Servers are restarted "for maintenance" or other reasons often, and usually there is a pre-alert sent to users that the server will be off for several hours (that for maintenance) or even less. So what can a severe DDoS attack do to a server?

The DDOS attack keep bombarding the sever with requests for whatever, so turning it back on would just overload it again. At least this is how I understand it. Someone set a botnet to endlessly knock on the server door so to say.

Edited by BadWord

2 minutes ago, Whitesnake said:

Cool, but I fail to understand what the crash could do that a restart can't solve. Servers are restarted "for maintenance" or other reasons often, and usually there is a pre-alert sent to users that the server will be off for several hours (that for maintenance) or even less. So what can a severe DDoS attack do to a server?

From my (very loose) understanding, even after a restart the 'queries' would still be being sent so it would have the same effect even after a restart. To carry on IntroNatika's analogy, you could leave the room/building (restart) and re-enter the room and you would still have the 100s of people talking at you. It's the people that need to go away rather than you for it to end.

I could very well be wrong but that's what I take it as?

And i go nuts after 3 or 4 people talking to me at the same time, nevermind 100s lol

3 minutes ago, RaspberryKisses said:

From my (very loose) understanding, even after a restart the 'queries' would still be being sent so it would have the same effect even after a restart. To carry on IntroNatika's analogy, you could leave the room/building (restart) and re-enter the room and you would still have the 100s of people talking at you. It's the people that need to go away rather than you for it to end.

I could very well be wrong but that's what I take it as?

And i go nuts after 3 or 4 people talking to me at the same time, nevermind 100s lol

*facepalm* I see it now, is like my e-mail receiving thousands of spam e-mails per minute, I delete it but they keep coming. I mean... now I fail to understand why I did not understand :D

Edited by Whitesnake

6 minutes ago, Whitesnake said:

*facepalm* I see it now, is like my e-mail receiving thousands of spam e-mails per minute, I delete it but they keep coming. I mean... now I fail to understand why I did not understand :D

It´s fine, if someone here had asked me what DDOS is a few days ago, I would have guessed Dick Dick Oh Shit!

not that simple. The DDOS attack are done to the Server IP address, meaning that even if you restart the server, the attack will resume to the same IP, making it crash again. I can only guess that the DEV are working to deflect the attack somehow, but I am not an expert.

Edited by IntroNatika

6 hours ago, KimmyFox said:

Don't worry Gizmo has said the lost days will be compensated so you have not wasted any money, you just have to wait a little till things get sorted out with servers and the DDOS attack.

But.....I'm bored LOL

11 hours ago, redheadrider said:

It's actually unusual for us to hear anything on the weekends during outages, in my experience. Usually, things get dealt with in the beginning of the week. That does depend on if it can be fixable on their end, though... But hey, you'll get the same length or longer subscription out of this, since you seem to have subscribed just before it failed. (They're generally good with reimbursing for lost time, in my experience.)

Yeah, I was able to register and pay my subscription, then the site went down for me, couldn't even download the software for it yet LOL

On 5/17/2020 at 5:35 AM, WileCoyote said:

I hope you are joking, this is no way a regular user on a text forum can be mistaken for DDoS attack, especially just reading forum messages, about the lowest traffic thing on the internet. I participate in a number of forums and so far this is the only forum I have ever seen that penalizes users for using the service as designed, you know, reading messages. Most will suspend for posting too many messages, but reading to many, you gotta be kidding me, that is the entire point of a forum, so people can read the messages and in my case, I had not even read all of the messages under one topic. Been a member of the game for just a week and the forum for 2 days and I have to say, poor operations seems to be the theme so far.

Unfortunately this is part of what goes along with DDoS protection. I also cannot load the website or forums unless I am on a VPN, for some reason CloudFlare is blocking my IP address. A big part of effective protection is ensuring a low number of false-positives, meaning, legitimate users like you and me aren't being mistaken for robots or malicious traffic. :D It's not 100% possible because of how large the internet is, so they will likely just need to adjust the rules (which they control) for the WAF.

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200172016-Understanding-the-Cloudflare-Web-Application-Firewall-WAF-

Edited by DemonSoul