3DXChat Community

DDos Attack !

Maxinejuicer

Because magic and fairy dust.

Playstation network was DDoSed for several days to weeks couple of years ago.. well in the era of PS3.

Blizzard battle.net went down for a weekend twice in row this year due to DDoS and that wasn't first time in their history. 

Am sure there were many more attacks on different companies, I do remember BBC(not the 3DX kind) few years ago.

You can use google to find out more, I doubt our mighty overlords Gizmo and Lisa can prevent DDoS if big companies like these can't. Obviously there are security tools and measures that can and I am sure are implemented all over networks. But even that might not be enough in some persistent cases. So ignore opinion of the armchair administrators that it can be solved in seconds.

I have my opinions about developers but in this case not much they can do.

Edited by Riela

37 minutes ago, Maxinejuicer said:

Why is 3dx chat getting a DDos Attack, this has happened before, why isn't the server protected from such attacks ?

It the same over again Friday, like last time. Remember right it was Friday until Wednesday the following week.

I thought that sorted all this out since last time 3dx chat got attacked.

Because, @Maxinejuicer, this game has enemies and these people can only do one thing about it, which is resort to cowardly attacks. Now, like it's been said before, big companies like Sony and Blizzard have suffered DDoS attacks before, and of course they've taken measures to prevent such attacks, but that doesn't mean they're foolproof. In fact, some can easily be circumvented, providing you know what you're doing.

13 minutes ago, Charlie Masterson said:

Because, @Maxinejuicer, this game has enemies and these people can only do one thing about it, which is resort to cowardly attacks. Now, like it's been said before, big companies like Sony and Blizzard have suffered DDoS attacks before, and of course they've taken measures to prevent such attacks, but that doesn't mean they're foolproof. In fact, some can easily be circumvented, providing you know what you're doing.

If so why is there a monitoring service and some like cloudflare to protect this, what is the point of such protection if it doesn't work. I do more investigation on this.

2 minutes ago, Maxinejuicer said:

If so why is there a monitoring service and some like cloudflare to protect this, what is the point of such protection if it doesn't work. I do more investigation on this.

Well, I could go into detail and explain the whole technical aspects of DDoS attacks, but I don't want to bore you to death, but to simplify, it's pretty much like wearing a bulletproof vest. It will provide you with some level of protection, but that doesn't mean a bullet can't penetrate it, depending on many factors (caliber, distance, etc.). 

I doubt it's that easy to solve a DDoS. Considering the downtime, this DDoS is well organised, possible using hundreds of infected PCs as hosts to carry out the attack. The simple solution would be to start blocking IPs, but that would probably mean blocking out some players in some cases. Again considering the downtime, at this point the DDoS is either sabotage or ransom. At work, I had to go through this multiple times unfortunately. When the attackers are good and have a big enough network it's very hard to stop them.

The use of special protection technologies is required for DDoS mitigation or DDoS protection. These are available both as an appliance for use on premisses and as a SECaaS service. The latter variant is not throttled by the available bandwidth of the own connection and can therefore be used far more agile. DDoS protection solutions clean the incoming traffic and thus differentiate between valid inquiries and harmful access. Companies that are particularly often affected by DDoS attacks leave their DDoS protection permanently active - others only use the solutions when necessary to reduce effort and costs Why don't you buy such protection?

6 hours ago, AntoniaXOX said:

The use of special protection technologies is required for DDoS mitigation or DDoS protection. These are available both as an appliance for use on premisses and as a SECaaS service. The latter variant is not throttled by the available bandwidth of the own connection and can therefore be used far more agile. DDoS protection solutions clean the incoming traffic and thus differentiate between valid inquiries and harmful access. Companies that are particularly often affected by DDoS attacks leave their DDoS protection permanently active - others only use the solutions when necessary to reduce effort and costs Why don't you buy such protection?

Mhm, sure. Very fancy read, looks more like copy pasted from some random article and not something from your brain. Oh here I found it https://www.myrasecurity.com/en/what-is-a-ddos-attack/  . Next time, talk about something you understand instead trying to look smart and pasting some random article.

Tell me if it took Blizzard / PSN / Other major multi - billion companies days to week to solve. Why you think about small indie dev team with less members than you have fingers on hand can solve or prevent this?

As far as I know no protection is perfect, and you don't have enough knowledge to know if they have protection or not. Not to mention we don't know their infrastructure or if they can even afford protection if there's not one in place.

I do remember when there was last DDoS on WoW around time the last expansion released. There were issues and downtime for several hours each day or perhaps even full downtime for day or two in row. There was police and brightest of engineers working on that attack to solve it as thousands were cut from their services and yet they couldn't restore it fully for days.

IF a company worth 20$ billion ain't capable of resolving DDoS in a day. What makes you think 3DX can?

Edited by Riela

29 minutes ago, AntoniaXOX said:

Do you think you stupid cow would have more experience, your blah blah shows that you also have no brains and especially if you can only insult.

Actually, the only one who tossed insults here is you. I given you a reply and then you insulted me and in indirect way developers in your previous post.

I wrote earlier on this topic why not. You came here obviously not reading a second post in this topic and then using a few sentences that aren't your own calling developers out that they have no protection, which you again have no clue about.

If you were educated in basic IT security or just little bit interested in tech world you would know that many major companies that face these issues were shut down for days while someone done attack like this. All I did was called you out on something you done and then gave you two examples of large multi-billion worth companies that faced same problems, so you could check on your own. 

But I guess I am stupid cow while you paste articles trying to look smart without even understanding what's going on.

And to answer your question directly. ->

Yes, I obviously have more experience than you in this matter. Since I said enough why, several posts before you even wrote your awful question which you stole from some PR article that tries to sell a product.

Edited by Riela

I know Unity3d has peer to peer connections.  I actually tried to use the unity3d free app to make my own 3dxchat once and took 10 courses to learn how o use it from udemy.  That would simply be ddos proof as only you and I would be connected and one of us would declare our computer as the server.  We probably couldn't have 100+ people in a room any more but we could get together with a few friends while waiting for repairs like ddos attacks.  The hardest part of course was the networking course.  There are a thousand different routers out there and ISPs and some of them will just not allow us to use our PC as a server under our residential quality of service.  But some of could host.  I think that would be an excellent money making opportunity for the 3dx chat members that could host.  No more fake gold.  If you can host you are a first class citizen and a bank and the rest of us need you desperately.  We could use a social service to meet up online and share links to whoever is hosting.  My point is that with minor modifications 3dxchat which was built with unity3d could become globally distributed and hosted by its members so there is never any down time.  

3 hours ago, belphegor said:

why they lie about a ddos attack?say that the servers dont have the capacity for all the people thats all say the true dont lie or at least make all in the game be informed

That wouldn't explain the servers being relatively stable with those people one day and suddenly all their systems are down the next. Also, afaik, this attack targeted all their systems, and there's at least three I think. (profiles, game, and web, also if I recall correctly) If it were a population issue, it would have likely been more gradual.

4 hours ago, belphegor said:

why they lie about a ddos attack?say that the servers dont have the capacity for all the people thats all say the true dont lie or at least make all in the game be informed

So you just create your own theory on your own based on nothing, and now you're claiming that people you say otherwise are liars.

I for one would like for these kind of attacks to be held at a higher priority law enforcement wise. They will only get worse if there isn't significant punishment to deter it and it will push into other segments of your lives. A basic investigation starts with competitors, who else wins here? Its not a attack against the payment provider, so that is my best guess. I'm probably wrong...I usually am, but I bet I am over the target close.

18 minutes ago, mikeyd said:

I for one would like for these kind of attacks to be held at a higher priority law enforcement wise. They will only get worse if there isn't significant punishment to deter it and it will push into other segments of your lives. A basic investigation starts with competitors, who else wins here? Its not a attack against the payment provider, so that is my best guess. I'm probably wrong...I usually am, but I bet I am over the target close.

To your first part -> DDoS is punishable by law in about every modern country. Random google search shows 10 to 30 years in prison + penalties upwards to 250 000 $ obviously It's case by case and I am no lawyer just good old google jutsu.

To the second part -> Competitors have more to lose than to gain, company usually acts in good of shareholders so not 1 person.
This is either some troll, some hacker group flexing or someone trying to blackmail for whatever reason.

4 hours ago, Riela said:

To your first part -> DDoS is punishable by law in about every modern country. Random google search shows 10 to 30 years in prison + penalties upwards to 250 000 $ obviously It's case by case and I am no lawyer just good old google jutsu.

To the second part -> Competitors have more to lose than to gain, company usually acts in good of shareholders so not 1 person.
This is either some troll, some hacker group flexing or someone trying to blackmail for whatever reason.

It also tends to be nearly impossible to trace because people are just paying someone to do it from one of the places it IS still legal and then walking away. There have been a few high profile prosecutions, but the number is almost completely insignificant.