3DXChat Community

Rights to Edit Your Room/World

Rand

I know a lot of us have been having fun creating rooms/worlds for people to enjoy.  But the biggest problem I have is committing to the time in doing it all by myself.

Has there been though on allowing people to grant editing access to their rooms to a few people so that it can be a group effort?  Of course, limit the editing to one person at a time, no overlapping.  But it would be helpful.

Just a thought!

Thanks for listening.

Rand

I do know that having more people than the owner in the room while in the edit mode has been asked for quite a few times, the reasons asked for this was so knowledge could be shared in real time on how to get certain effects or building procedures, basically as a training tool.

The way you have worded this has confused me a little as youre meaning you want to be able to share the workload?  If that is the case, then just transfering the .world file along to people to make the additions/changes is simple enough. Discord is a great tool for this, or email or file transfer service. Tis only a tiny file that can be shared back and forth instantly.

Collaborative building efforts are common.
Using Discord or other file sharing options makes it trivial to toss the .World file around.
Person A Makes a room, tosses the file to person B, who adds something or tweaks something and then sends it to Person C or back to A.
It works like a charm.

Edit: This does however need a degree of TRUST between the persons involved. As they retain the files even when sending them onward. And this has led to drama in the past where people worked together on something and then accused each other of 'stealing' the designs.

Edited by Derai

if the world editor was easier and you could build it out of cubes, then perhaps the group building was present in the game. But our editor is more complex in it we can deform the figures it gives a certain load on the computer especially if in the location of several thousand such figures have already stretched, turned and changed their location on the coordinate plane. And if in the editor would build several people at once, then your computer would have to process not only your figures but also the figures of your friends who are nearby, and this is an even greater load than usual, for such things need good Internet and enough computer resources, which is not everyone...🙄

I believe he is referring to the ability to grant access to your property to Deco like you can in other worlds. Where you can have several working Real Time in the WE all at once. 

This is possible. It has been done before and only required a simple Slash command to enable it. Obviously, the back end of how to make that command works is a different matter. Keksy knows more about how it worked than I do. (yes, the Kek who made the arm thingies)

Edited by THX

2 hours ago, MeiLing said:

Is it so difficult to send a file via discord or google drive? Of course not. 

Its not really a question that such a work around is easy, what it is missing is the social and pleasurable element of being able to work along side another when building.

I do see a minor difficulty with how 3Dx is set up in so much as in opening the edit we go to a new room special edit. Where other worlds have for most part opened the edit directly in the same room. So both your avi and your guest remain together, they can watch you deco or if you give permission can open edit as well.

However I imagine its possible to add an additional invite to a friend to join you in the custom room.

Thanks everyone for your input -- it's the social part and teamwork is really what I was looking for -- not just "one at a time" and communicate via another website.  I'll just be patient and hope that one day we can work side by side on future worlds.

Thanks again!😁

I have shared versions of world fileson shared drives or even in a REPO on GitHub before, and i know at least one user who has a n AWS S3 bucket they use to collaborate, controlling permissions through the bucket policy .  Version control is important, I have seen too many people mess up their own worlds irretrievably.

7 hours ago, moondance said:

I have shared versions of world fileson shared drives or even in a REPO on GitHub before, and i know at least one user who has a n AWS S3 bucket they use to collaborate, controlling permissions through the bucket policy .  Version control is important, I have seen too many people mess up their own worlds irretrievably.

I love to build but I have no idea what you just said.

giphy.gif

Edited by BellaGirl

On 5/3/2020 at 3:41 AM, Rand said:

I know a lot of us have been having fun creating rooms/worlds for people to enjoy.  But the biggest problem I have is committing to the time in doing it all by myself.

Has there been though on allowing people to grant editing access to their rooms to a few people so that it can be a group effort?  Of course, limit the editing to one person at a time, no overlapping.  But it would be helpful.

Just a thought!

Thanks for listening.

Rand

the best work around is for each of you to build in sections in a certain build. One handles one section, the other will handle the other, and you simply merge it together since you both are basically working on the same room, having the same coordinates for object placement. Additionally you can remove duplicates after merging

3 hours ago, Cruna said:

the best work around is for each of you to build in sections in a certain build. One handles one section, the other will handle the other, and you simply merge it together since you both are basically working on the same room, having the same coordinates for object placement. Additionally you can remove duplicates after merging

Though important to note that lighting level changes are hard to merge if both change the same light source, one is gonna get overwritten. 

1 hour ago, moondance said:

Though important to note that lighting level changes are hard to merge if both change the same light source, one is gonna get overwritten. 

true. but one person can simply not mess with lighting at all maybe. Atleast both people are able to build objects and work on complex details. we can fix lights later

When i was working on really big maps, it was nearly impossible to edit them in the world editor as my computer was like it was going to explode.

However, i used to select all the objects of one building for example, then i saved the selected stuff to a new world file. After that, i grouped the whole thing and saved my map again on another file.

That way, i could work on the small part of the map, and when it was really, i simply had to go back to the main map, delete the grouped object, then merge the small part with it.

Even if at first i mostly used it for performance issues, two others players worked on my map that way, simply by editing the parts of the map i sent them.

It's not as perfect as being several players working at once on the same world editor but if you have a good base and split the map effectively from the start, you can work at then on the same map without any issue.