3DXChat Community

3DXChat + Radeon Software = Crash?

SeleneDeVeros

I've not been on 3DXChat long and almost gave up on it with the issue I've been having. After a few days in the game, I started to notice certain rooms would lead to freezes, and eventual black screens and my monitor temporarily showing the "No Signal" message before recovering. Event Viewer shows that the faulting application is my Radeon Software, since apparently getting drivers without a software suite anymore seems impossible. I tried doing a full uninstall of my drivers with a fresh install, nothing changed. Some of what I had found seems to indicate that there could be certain settings within the Radeon Software that conflict with the game's settings and essentially causing it to hurt itself in its confusion about which one to go off of. Even running in the Standard setup with nothing special active in the software suite, it happens. The only way I can currently play the game without any issues is on the low graphics settings, which feels a bit insulting. I have played around a bit with trying to find the exact game settings that trigger it, but just had kind of given up. Hoping maybe someone here knows something I don't or has already been through this and knows a fix.

System Specs:
GPU: Radeon RX590 8GB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

RAM: 32GB

SSDs: 256GB Boot, 1TB Storage (Both of which have a lot of free space yet)

• 2 weeks later...

So, this seems to have been more of an issue with the graphics card getting overheated, even though the temps weren't really out of the norm. Adjusting the fan controls to force them to run harder at lower loads seems to have kept it from crashing anymore.

1 hour ago, SamuelDunn said:

So, this seems to have been more of an issue with the graphics card getting overheated, even though the temps weren't really out of the norm. Adjusting the fan controls to force them to run harder at lower loads seems to have kept it from crashing anymore.

you can set ur graphic card run a lil lower so not overheating ..i dont know that card so forgive me cause i dont know the capabilities 

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I used to have these problems on my laptop using a GTX 1080 graphics card.  As I had purchased the extended warranty with home visit from the laptop manafacturer, I raised a call on the basis of disappointment in the performance considering it was billed as a top end gaming laptop.  A few days later they visited, changed the graphics card, and heatsink, motherboard, and screen cover (it had a dent in it).  Low and behold it worked perfectly with no more overheating....

...except a couple of years later it is doing it again, and the laptop gets scorching hot on 3dxchat and even hotter running a VR headset.  My suspicion is that the graphics card heat paste stuff is poor quality and after a while dries out, dramatically reducing the ability of the minimal heat management capability of a laptop to draw the heat away.

The foolproof workaround I have discovered is  1) use a laptop fan pad under the laptop combined with 2) a tower fan blowing directly at the back of the laptop where it gets hottest.  I have to do both, one one itcs own is not enough, but together the laptop stays beautifully cool and runs completely smoothly even under the most demanding of 3D VR games such as Half Life:Alyx.

Overheating is common if GPUs/CPUs run full throttel long time inside of notebooks. Cooling is not as effective as inside a tower PC.

Google for undervolting GPU or CPU, depending which chip is overheating, you'll find helpful advices.

Anther trick could also help:

Control Panel -> Hardware & Sound -> Power options -> Change plan settings -> Change advanced power settings

In the Power Options window, expand Processor power management, and then expand Maximum processor state.

On battery/Plugged In are the options. Lower them by 5%. If it's fine than, you can rise 1% stepwise as long it is still not overheating.

5% is nothing you'd really ever notice performancewise and for me 1% plus undervolting did the trick. Since I changed that, I had no issues with overheating anymore whatsoever. Even not during summer with 30+°C room temperature. (Well, I still had probs with overheating but the notebook didn't)

Note: undervolting can destabilize your system, if you lower voltage too much. Make sure to know what your're doing, before you do it. However, if you stick to the tutorials, it should work fine. I'm not that much of a techie, but I got it to work.

Manufactures tend to give by default more voltage than needed to make sure each produced chip will run stable. But most chips run perfectly fine with lower voltage. This does not hamper performance, but it affects the heat of the chip significantly. Before CPU went way over 90°C and since this tweak never over 75°C again.

A fan pad could also help, either on its own or in addition.

@Leopardus - heat paste can be the reason but it usually does not age that fast I guess. I think it is more probable, the vans are stuffed with dust. Maybe it is already enough to clean the air ways?

Edited by Pandorra

2 hours ago, Pandorra said:

Overheating is common if GPUs/CPUs run full throttel long time inside of notebooks. Cooling is not as effective as inside a tower PC.

Google for undervolting GPU or CPU, depending which chip is overheating, you'll find helpful advices.

Anther trick could also help:

Control Panel -> Hardware & Sound -> Power options -> Change plan settings -> Change advanced power settings

In the Power Options window, expand Processor power management, and then expand Maximum processor state.

On battery/Plugged In are the options. Lower them by 5%. If it's fine than, you can rise 1% stepwise as long it is still not overheating.

5% is nothing you'd really ever notice performancewise and for me 1% plus undervolting did the trick. Since I changed that, I had no issues with overheating anymore whatsoever. Even not during summer with 30+°C room temperature. (Well, I still had probs with overheating but the notebook didn't)

Note: undervolting can destabilize your system, if you lower voltage too much. Make sure to know what your're doing, before you do it. However, if you stick to the tutorials, it should work fine. I'm not that much of a techie, but I got it to work.

Manufactures tend to give by default more voltage than needed to make sure each produced chip will run stable. But most chips run perfectly fine with lower voltage. This does not hamper performance, but it affects the heat of the chip significantly. Before CPU went way over 90°C and since this tweak never over 75°C again.

A fan pad could also help, either on its own or in addition.

@Leopardus - heat paste can be the reason but it usually does not age that fast I guess. I think it is more probable, the vans are stuffed with dust. Maybe it is already enough to clean the air ways?

Speaking from my own experience, I've tried all these options previously. Undervolting at levels that didn't just gave me a blue screen of death made no noticeable difference to heat problems  I keep the air vents clean using compressed air, but the fans are in an inaccessible place without dismantling the whole laptop - I mean literally everything inside. I have done that previously - never again.  So, as a fan pad and tower fan work perfectly well for me, that's what I'm sticking with.