3DXChat Community

Roleplay guide for 3DX Chat

CuckoldMe

Hi to all. So this guide is mostly for the new and not experienced players, who wants to learn about the roleplay or improve their play style. Lets go!

Roleplay, in general, it's like a theater. Clue to this mean hides inside it's name. You choosing a Role and Playing it. Like in the theater, your role must be soild. Even minor characters got some personal story, character, desires, likes, dislikes and such. At first you should understand which role you want to take and which type of roleplay you want to have.

Roleplay is like acting in a play, but without a pre-written script. You have a character, and so do all the other players, and while you are playing in a scene, everyone involved acts out what their character is doing. The most important thing to remember about roleplaying is that In Character does not equal Out of Character, which means that it's just a game, and some other character's objection to something your character did or said shouldn't be taken as some personal offence against you. You are not your character, any more than Jack Nicholson is the Joker or Orlando Bloom is Legolas. When these actors leave the set, they stop acting as their characters, and go back to their regular lives. So should you.

Since you are not the same as your character, it can also be important to separate what you, the player, know about another character or situation from what your character knows. When you enter a room, in F-Chat, you can see the names of everyone there. But, unless your character has been introduced to these other characters, your character probably doesn't know their names. The same goes for other information in a scene that might not be immediately obvious. Does your character know the guy in the corner is a werewolf, or do you just know because you read his profile? Does your character know what's behind that locked door, or do you just know because you were looking at the map? Sometimes this gets a little confusing, so don't be offended if someone points out that you've done it. Just re-write the post, and it's fixed!

Another point that sometimes gets overlooked is that in-character actions will most likely have in-character consequences. This means that if your character breaks some in-character rule of the setting -- for instance, you're playing in a setting where the sheriff has said no dogs are allowed in town, and your character brings his puppy with him -- then you should expect that the in-character authorities of the setting are going to take action against your character. In our example, this might mean your character and his puppy getting run out of town. This can also apply on a smaller scale, to interpersonal interactions. If your character, Alan, is mean to another character, Beth, then Beth may go out of her way to avoid Alan, in the future, or if Beth is the type, maybe she'll even try to hit Alan.

So, the most important part of roleplay it's the character itself, and his interaction with other chars. Don't expect that all of them will react the same on your or your action. Good built character lives outside of his owner mind. Like IRL you  got acrofobia, but your char may be an alpinist, who doesn't have this fobia. Or we can make a little turning tables, and maybe your char got acrofobia, so when the girl who she loves will say "Hey, Jack, if you want to go on the date with me, jump from this bridge" So you char won't do it, or you should roleplay his emotion, show how much he scare/nervous, hard to do it.

Etiquette

In Character - IC - Action which you doing inside your char. Out Of Character - OOC - Action which you doing by yourself, not your char.  

The following are some points that are generally considered good form. If you are uncertain how things are done in a particular group, these behaviours are unlikely to be taken poorly.

• If you playing the group or Local chat where everyone is roleplayers - mark your OOC comments, to separate them from IC comments, if you must make them in an IC room. (Parentheses), [brackets], or even just putting 'OOC:' at the start of a line are good ways to make this distinction. OOC is often best taken to the OOC room, if there is one, or to PM, if it only involves one other player.
  • Do not assume that actions involving someone else's character succeed. It's wise to break up important actions that other players may not be expecting, in order to give their characters time to react. Do not, unless granted permission by the other player, act or speak for someone else's character.
    • Bad: * pours kerosene on Teal Deer and sets him on fire, laughing as he rolls around on the ground, screaming.*
    • Good: * sloshes kerosene over Teal Deer, from behind, and takes out a box of matches.*
  • If entering an IC space that is a business, have your character request the things they want, instead of serving themselves. Your character may be told to serve themselves, but it isn't polite to assume that they should.

Perspective

The first thing to become aware of is the perspective being used in the posts going on around you. Do characters refer to themselves as 'I' or 'he'/'she' in their actions?

First Person

The first person perspective makes 'I' the subject of the sentence. 'I purchased a tulip.' is an example of a sentence in the first person. 

Second Person

The second person perspective makes 'you' the subject of the sentence. 'You smell the scent of tulips on the air.' is an example of a sentence in the second person. There are very few times when this perspective is appropriate, and it is usually when a scene is being described. 'You can hear dogs barking in the distance' is an appropriate addition to a room description or a scene-setting forum post, but 'You slip and fall on the broken glass' is taking control of someone else's character, which is a big no-no, unless you partner allow you to do it.

Third Person

The third person perspective makes 'he', 'she', or 'they' the subject of the sentence. 'He tossed the tulip off the bridge, watching it drift down the river below.' is an example of a sentence in the third person. This is the most common perspective. Also if you talking about yourself, you may replace he-she words with your name. 'Michelle tossed the tulip off the bridge, watching it drift down the river below.'

Speaking

When speaking to other characters, surround the words you're saying with quotation marks. If the spoken text is followed by an attribution -- 'he says', 'she laughs', 'it drones' -- end your spoken text with a comma (unless it's a question), and keep the attribution lowercase. If an action that does not generate those words follows, end with the usual punctuation, and follow with a capital letter and a new sentence. Or you can do it in another day and mark you actions, not text, with * *

• Good: "Hello, Marty," he says.
  • Good: I'd like a pint of the nutbrown ale. * He nods and sits down on a barstool *
  • Not so good: hello marty he says and sits down.

Speech can also come after an action. If the action causes the speech -- 'He says', 'She shouts', 'It burbles' -- then there should be a comma and then the speech should start with a capital letter, inside the quotation marks. If the action is not directly related to speaking, then there should be a period, before the speech starts.

• Good: Finally, he answered, "Yes, let's do it."
  • Good: *She put down her beer * Let's get this party started!
  • Not so good: she put down her beer and said lets start the party.

Spelling and Grammar

It's important that other players can decipher what your character is doing. Since this site focuses on written RP, spelling and grammar really do play a part in that. Take, for instance, the sentence 'I helped my uncle jack off a horse.' Add some commas and a capital letter, and it becomes, 'I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse.' It's a whole other thing.

If your English skill isn't really good, and you think that you'r partner got the better one, just let him know that you're not a native speaker. It's will save you and him from despair of dropping the play in the middle or beginning, because one of you got a bad English skill.

Character list/profile

For the new role players, the best way to make a solid character - making his profile or list. Topic of the beautiful Eroaulon http://3dxchat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/641-character-sheets-template/&do=findComment&comment=23267  will help you with that. Just try to write answers on all the questions, from the side of your char, and post them there, or keep as document on your computer.

Also there is beautiful site https://www.f-list.net/ where you can make a character profile, putting in lots of info. You can set character kinks and fetishes there by choosing from the offered list, or writing your customs, can attach the pics of char appearance, set chars height/weight/breast size/penis size and etc. And it's easy to share with everyone, just follow the link in my Signature to see my profile on this site, and imagine how may looks yours.

So, that's all I wanted to let you know for now. Ask me any questions about Roleplay. that  you want to know, here.

Guest Eddster

You know I was trying to write something like this up for the longest time. I wasn't sure how to word it well without offending anyone since I lack grace most of the time. This is an amazing starter guide, Cuck! Thanks for taking the time to make this up. *Claps*

P.S. Is English your native language? (Just some grammar errors here and there but it's a great guide either way)

You know I was trying to write something like this up for the longest time. I wasn't sure how to word it well without offending anyone since I lack grace most of the time. This is an amazing starter guide, Cuck! Thanks for taking the time to make this up. *Claps*

P.S. Is English your native language? (Just some grammar errors here and there but it's a great guide either way)

I'm just truing to improve the community where I'm planning to stay for at least.... a year, while my sub is active :)

No English is not my native language, but I'm improving my skill.

Awesome guide :) I have seen similiar guides in a few text games i used to play. In here there at least 3 problems when it comes to RP:

1. Most people here dont RP so i can only imagine that you character will have tough time starting a conversation with someone. 

2. People here are not familiar with terms of RP like OOC so putting it there creates more confusion simple brackets will do the trick just fine. And most used perspective in here is first person so get used to that one :D

3. Speaking of perspective this game is RP unfriendly since there is no systems in place to make it proper for RP.

What i mean for system for RP is a command like /s (just na example). So you would write this: /s look at John. And there are 3 results you get from that:

1. what will you see:   you look look at John

2. What will John see:   Millia look at you.

3. What will others see:    Millia look at John

This system would make things so much better for people trying to RP but it is not here so it will always be kind of awkward :D. But i am glad that this is out here so people can learn about RP more ^^

Awesome guide  :) 

Thanks  :lol:

1. Most people here dont RP so i can only imagine that you character will have tough time starting a conversation with someone. 

2. People here are not familiar with terms of RP like OOC so putting it there creates more confusion simple brackets will do the trick just fine. And most used perspective in here is first person so get used to that one  :D

3. Speaking of perspective this game is RP unfriendly since there is no systems in place to make it proper for RP.

1) Right. Most of people don't RP, or think that RP it's a casual talking with :))) and such. But, you know, many peoples glad to learn. If I'm meeting person with potential I'm trying to explain him/her what is it. And now, when I made this topic, it's will be much easier. The problem of the lack of RP is that no one really didn't cared to spread the Roleplaying community, to learn peoples.

2) Yes, I know that, but if you a beginner in RP, it's will give you a good lesson of how better to divide RP messages from casual one's. As I said this guide is for beginners and peoples who never roleplayed.

3) Perspectives could be used even here. I already seen peoples who writing for the First and Third persons well. Usually it's depends on who this person plays - him/herself or his/her char. But I agree that such command as /s or even emote command is needed. But it's all up for developers, if peoples will ask for it, they will add it I'm sure.

This is a great guide. I'm sure a majority of the people who come to this game don't come from an online chat/game role-playing background and have no idea what it even means. I'd love to see a community of the players who are more skilled in this and seek out other players who are as well become more prominent.

This is a great guide. I'm sure a majority of the people who come to this game don't come from an online chat/game role-playing background and have no idea what it even means. I'd love to see a community of the players who are more skilled in this and seek out other players who are as well become more prominent.

Thanks  B)  Yes, many peoples comes here, and even got no idea what is Roleplay, and how good is that thing. Many peoples doesn't visiting this forum, so, I'm making ingame messages, sending them to this topic, from time to time. I'll try to search for the new ways to improve roleplay community here.

Fairly decent guide for newbies.  I agree with the majority of it.  F-list is a good tool as well... It doesn't give too much information away about your character, but does give enough information to know whether or not your character would be compatible with theirs.  I already posted on the other character Bio/list that's posted on this forum so I won't go into that one.

Here's my little bit to extrapolate on it.

Roleplaying is most simply put as a writing a novel together as a group to detail actions/setting, write the story, and act it out as you go along.  Books can be First, Second, or Third person and the style is different from one writer to the next. So what you're essentially doing is blending the styles of multiple writers together into one story.  You may not always agree on what should come next but everyone should want to further the story arc twoards the logical next step.  This applies to short term or long term roleplaying sessions equally.

You can also look at as getting a group together to write the script for a movie while acting it out at the same time.  It's not too hard to do as long as the people you're doing it with are concious of the fact that you may not be the best writer or have a vastly differing style than they do.  Don't be afraid to ask out of character if something confuses you or if something doesn't seem right with their previous action.  It's a friendly sort of pastime and a everyone makes mistakes now and again.  Don't be afraid to go roleplay with someone and suck at it because the only way to get better at it is through practice.  Just like with anything else you'll do in your life.

• 1 month later...

hehehe... Im Know about this a my night life. but i see in here no have main dancers so suck.  come at room using man account no one dance tease me.coz they are busy at other guest. mofo..

you need great teamwork if wanna make roleplay in here.

Role play at club so different strategy not much club same.

They used leeder of dancers

- No Touch, No Private Talk, Just try make guest comfortable and safe. 

- Throw clever word who is able to make him excited.

- Not easy to eat crocodile word of entrants.

- Directed to another dancer.

- Good English not much. but easy to understand.

about style chat word. idk coz everyone has their style

more you can describe it yourself ..

Just past.

You can make the best screenplay of the story, and hire the best director in the world, but if your actors do what they want   the film will be a shit .        

I am not expert in RP but I know  that all good RP requires a Master  who says to  players  which one will be its task/action in the game.

We could create a club and to establish minimum rules... Well , it`s  only  an idea  :)

hehehe... Im Know about this a my night life. but i see in here no have main dancers so suck.  come at room using man account no one dance tease me.coz they are busy at other guest. mofo..

you need great teamwork if wanna make roleplay in here.

Role play at club so different strategy not much club same.

They used leeder of dancers

- No Touch, No Private Talk, Just try make guest comfortable and safe. 

- Throw clever word who is able to make him excited.

- Not easy to eat crocodile word of entrants.

- Directed to another dancer.

- Good English not much. but easy to understand.

about style chat word. idk coz everyone has their style

more you can describe it yourself ..

Just past.

I'll answer shortly. I don't want to force perople to roleplay. I'm just giving them possibility, guide from where they can learn. And since I did it, I seen much more Roleplayers in game. Yes, some of them already was here, but some of them is newbies and they still learning. To make a good roleplay community on the new resourse, like 3dx chat, should pass a year of active work on it.

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

I'm new in this community and just started to have a look at the forum. Even though this post was not very active since some times now, it made me stop for a while and made me a bit confused on the purpose.

I'm a gamer since quite some times now and I think I kind of get it in terms of RP. It makes a lot of sense to "role play" a Paladin or an Orc since there is little chance that I might be one irl... However in this community, it seems much more interesting to keep the suspense around the personalities, don't you think?

What is the point of role play a young little slut and tell everyone that this is a role? Wouldn't it be much more exciting not to know and simply guess? Or perhaps I didn't understand anything in this game.

About the guide itself, it's excellent, even though I personnally think it might not be applicable in game here.

See you all soon IG