3DXChat Community

(RE-POST/NOT DUPLICATE) Through the Decades - Music Poll 70's, 80's and 90's

Raeign

Music of the Decades  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What is the single best hard rock/metal song from the 70's?

• Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
    • Scorpions - The Riot of Our Time
    • Deep Purple - Burn
    • Judas Priest - Victim of Changes
    • UFO - Rock Bottom
    • Alice Cooper - I'm Eighteen
    • Budgie - Breadfan
    • Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever
    • Motorhead - Overkill
    • Other - Please specify in comments section.
  2. 2. What is the single best hard rock/metal song from the 80's?

• Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train
    • Metallica - Creeping Death
    • Slayer - Raining Blood
    • Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name
    • Motorhead - Ace of Spades
    • Anthrax - Caught in a Mosh
    • Queensryche - Queen of the Reich
    • Megadeth - Peace Sells
    • Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King
  3. 3. What is the single best hard rock/metal song from the 90's?

• Megadeth - Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
    • Sepultura - Refuse/Resist
    • Metallica - Enter Sandman
    • Rammstein - Stripped
    • Testament - Souls of Black
    • Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
    • Tool - Ænima
    • Pantera - Walk
    • Judas Priest - Painkiller

THIS IS A RE-POST AS THE FIRST POLL WAS DELETED. IF YOU VOTED, PLEASE DO SO AGAIN. THANK YOU.

through the dec·ades at ab·so·lute

As we are coming to the end of our Through the Decades series, I decided to hear what YOU have to say

about songs that you favored through the decades and what influenced you in the music that you listen to today.

This is your chance to speak upbe heardget loud and define the very last set for Through the Decades series at Absolute.

The music you choose will be highlighted as we go through all the decades, from the 70's through today,

covering the hard rock and metal of each decade.

So, make your choice of which song you found to be the most impactful of each decade OR if a song is not listed,

write it into the comments section. Just keep it hard rock and metal please.

I look forward to seeing what YOU have to say and what you determine I play in two weeks.

This is post one of two. Make sure to check out the first post for the 2000's and 2010's decades.

(this forum only lets you ask three questions in a poll)

Rock on people!

I do love this poll, but in these golden era's of hard rock/metal there is no way I can pick 1 song to rule, find, and bring them all into the darkness and bind them, so i'm going to give an approximation of perhaps my top choices in each.  I absolutely know my choices won't ever be the popular ones, lol.....but they're mine ;)  And yeah, sorry for breaking format and not picking just one ;)  And btw, most of these probably are on my mixes as well....lol

70's:

Given a choice, i'm always going to go with Rush in the 70's when they had a very heavy sound.  "Cygnus X-1" is a great example of this:

Black Sabbath definitely belongs in here too, and while I do love the dark and full of gloom self-titled song listed in the poll, my choice for them would be "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath".  This song is equal parts dark and downright evil.

Led Zeppelin while not quite of the same ilk as Sabbath, definitely had some heavy tunes as well.  Their live version of "No Quarter" is fantastic.  Bonham's drums are thunderous and Page's guitar riffs are among his best.

The Who  I can't in good conscience leave out "Won't Get Fooled Again".  The Who redefined themselves with their landmark 1971 (my birth year) album, "Who's Next".  The studio version alone is powerful, but live versions are scorching.

Honorable mentions for me would be "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" by Pink Floyd (live versions from '77 are scorching and nasty...which had everything to do with Waters and his disillusionment with the crowd and Gilmour's growing hatred of Waters and just wanting to play the fucking show.  In Oakland, he throws his guitar down at the end of the show he was so pissed and goes off into the crowd while the rest of them try to do an improvised encore).  "Running With The Devil" by Van Halen did usher in a whole new era of Rock.  Can't deny that it changed the game.  There's a ton of KISS tunes that could have a spot:  Black Diamond, God of Thunder, Detroit Rock City, Shock Me.

80's

This is almost impossible to nail down to one song.  Too many to choose from.

Iron Maiden ruled the 80's.  "Hallowed Be Thy Name" certainly can be given top spot (and will be my choice), but so could "Prowler", "Phantom of The Opera", "2 Minutes to Midnight", "Revelations", "Powerslave", "Wasted Years"

Rush and "Tom Sawyer" deserves a spot at least for the hard rock category.

AC/DC:  "Hell's Bells", "Back In Black" and "For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)

Motley Crue:  "Looks That Kill"

Metallica:  "Seek and Destroy" (this could easily be the top spot for me) or "For Whom The Bell Tolls" and yes, "Creeping Death".

Van Halen:  "Girl Gone Bad", "Unchained", "Mean Street", "Panama"

Def Leppard:  man, almost anything from "Pyromania", but how about "Rock of Ages" (although as a dark horse, i'd go for "Too Late for Love" or "Stagefright"

Black Sabbath:  The Dio years produced some crazy good stuff.  How about "Children of The Sea"

Ozzy:  "Crazy Train", "Suicide Solution", "Diary of a Madman", "Mr. Crowley", "Over The Mountain" and "Bark at the Moon"

and as the 80's close out and music starts changing a bit, does NIN "Head Like a Hole" deserve a spot?

90's

Rush:  "Between The Sun and The Moon"

Iron Maiden:  "Fear of The Dark"

NIN:  "Closer"

Rage Against The Machine:  "Bulls on Parade" or "Killing In The Name"

Metallica:  "Sad But True"

Soundgarden:  "Black Hole Sun"

Thank you to those that have taken the time to vote and/or leave their thoughts.

There is still plenty of time to cast your vote or make a post to the music that defined what you listen to today.

Make your voice heard!