#1 Rockster

Rockster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:26 PM

Hi Gizmo.

I am writing about the changes to existing textures within the World Editor which have happened with this latest patch.

It is not acceptable that existing textures have been altered. We builders need you to understand something, and that is when building and designing, it is not as simple as us just shoving a texture onto an object in one easy step and thinking 'that will do'. We spend hours getting it just right, pausing on one item or surface and painstakingly choosing just the right textures so they give the exact effect or look we are after, often we have a choice of several different ones we can use in any given situation, and after much careful deliberation we will go with one particular one because it gives the exact feel and style we are after, over and above other textures available. Often it can be the most subtle difference between two final options which will be the decider on what is used. Further, once a texture has been chosen we will tweak the colours and other aspects to create the exact effect we are after. It is a multi-layered and exacting process and decisions are made on the tiniest of details. Changing any single aspect of that texture later on can ruin the entire effect and make all that hard work a waste of time. Lots of thought is given to what we decided to use. What gives a build it's main effect and impression and feel is not so much the objects we use, as the textures we put over them.

If any of these textures we have used already on builds are to change, it can often ruin an aspect of a build and in some cases we would need to go back and change it to something else because it was no longer up to the standard we settled on in the first place, we may even need to go back and re-work an entire idea or concept to something completely different. However because of the nature of building, where many of us try to help 3DX to become a better place and upload our finished creations to a server so others can download them and use them themselves in the game, this means that there are now build files all over the place which we will never be able to find or fix and no longer look as they did when we made them and ticked them off as a standard to which we are happy. If I go to my file hosting service and look at the amount of downloads for each file, they number in the hundreds. So now there are many people out there with build files which are not as they were designed and no way for me to fix them.

I appreciate you are trying to improve the game by adding more content and updating things, but changing existing textures people have already used and signed-off on and given to others is not the way to go and will only cause anger and resentment which is not what you are wanting.

Can I request that even if you are unable to unwilling to revert the textures you have changed during this last patch to their previous state, at the very least you do not change any more of them and only add to the existing library instead with new textures or new versions of them and leave the existing ones exactly as they are. This causes a lot of trouble to builders who have put out builds to be downloaded by others, and is impossible to address after it has happened.

Thanks for reading.

• chloe, Cordelia, Desirea and 16 others like this

#2 Dantelle

Dantelle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 05:48 PM

any on else have problem with server 

• GoddessAthena likes this

#3 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:10 PM

Textures are returned to their original state (build 389)

• OLESYA, Robi, analiza and 3 others like this

#4 Rockster

Rockster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:25 PM

HI Lisa. I took 2 screenshots and put in another thread, this was done after all patches had been completed and nothing has changed since I did them which was when I noticed the changes. I'll put them in this post as well plus the vid of the faster Caustic movement which u can see when compared to the preview tile which used to be the same speed as the final effect an an item. It was slower. Also a prior vid I did which shows how the floor used to look if u want to wait and see where the camera pans along it. You can see it was different to how it now is. I just logged back in and checked the glass texture I have on the floor and it still has marks all over it which were not there before and the refection is still pixelated which is was not before, so it has not reverted back to how it was. As I explained in the other updates thread, this glass texture was used as a floor and was virtually invisible, now it is covered in what looks like masses of fingerprints and the reflections of the smooth lines from above are looking very strange. It was not like this prior. Pic 1 shows the marks and pixelation, pic2 shows where the pixelated reflection is coming from (which is a straight line). The Caustic animation is faster than it was before and faster than it is on the preview tile, so as far as I can see nothing has changed since they were altered and they are not back to how they were.

changed-textures.jpg

changed-textures2.jpg

• Rodin and Cassey like this

#5 MeiLing

MeiLing

The fool who dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:40 PM

Textures are returned to their original state (build 389)

Hi Lisa;

I confirm the fireflies are broken. I used them to underline the path. They have vanished. I have no other elegant solution.

• Rodin and Cassey like this

#6 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:46 PM

Hi Lisa;

I confirm the fireflies are broken. I used them to underline the path. They have vanished. I have no other elegant solution.

Attached Files

• Cassey likes this

#7 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 163 posts
  • LocationMars

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:47 PM

HI Lisa. I took 2 screenshots and put in another thread, this was done after all patches had been completed and nothing has changed since I did them which was when I noticed the changes. I'll put them in this post as well plus the vid of the faster Caustic movement which u can see when compared to the preview tile which used to be the same speed as the final effect an an item. It was slower. Also a prior vid I did which shows how the floor used to look if u want to wait and see where the camera pans along it. You can see it was different to how it now is. I just logged back in and checked the glass texture I have on the floor and it still has marks all over it which were not there before and the refection is still pixelated which is was not before, so it has not reverted back to how it was. As I explained in the other updates thread, this glass texture was used as a floor and was virtually invisible, now it is covered in what looks like masses of fingerprints and the reflections of the smooth lines from above are looking very strange. It was not like this prior. Pic 1 shows the marks and pixelation, pic2 shows where the pixelated reflection is coming from (which is a straight line). The Caustic animation is faster than it was before and faster than it is on the preview tile, so as far as I can see nothing has changed since they were altered and they are not back to how they were.

changed-textures.jpg

changed-textures2.jpg

Glass will be fixed soon. TY!

• Rockster and Cassey like this

#8 Rockster

Rockster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:47 PM

Hi Lisa;

Hey MeiLing, while I was testing out the fireflys I put them on a makeshift wall, and noticed that the top right corner of the wall had nothing on it while the rest were there, and it was because of what was behind the wall, they showed up only on the part which was in front of the interior of the car but not in front of the window, I'm not explaining very well, I have to take my car to the mechanic right now I'm running late, when I get back in a bit I will take a screen shot or make a quick vid and show what I saw. In essence, the fireflys are there, but they disappear if certain things are behind them, at least that's what it looks like to me. Back in a bit.

#9 MeiLing

MeiLing

The fool who dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2019 - 06:57 PM

Sorry Lisa 

Here is a part of Pandora

fYeTyMF.png

Fireflies should be all over the floor... 

/me is not clever but....

• Cassey likes this

#10 Vaughan_Rarius

Vaughan_Rarius

Master V

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,109 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:09 PM

Can we have the ironed sheet texture back too?

I hate that crumpled look!

TY.

They used to look like this

v3ZLaRQ.jpg

The texture was changed somehow in one of the updates , I think where the dolphins went albino  and now the sheets look awful. They look crumpled & unironed.

They now look like this

au6sMGM.jpg

Thanks. 

The texture I used for both of the pics above,  is from the menu pictured on the right ,  2nd line up from the bottom,   middle box - the white texture.  It used to make sheets look nice and ironed. Now they look crumpled like below.   I prefer the texture it used to be rather than the one now.  Is it possible to have it back?

SZ9uBwE.jpg

• Takisa, SusanLouisa and Cassey like this

#11 Rockster

Rockster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:59 PM

OK MeiLing, didn't take all that long and I'm back home. I made this vid just now to show what I was trying to explain about the fireflys.

• MeiLing and Cassey like this

#12 LaylaK

LaylaK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationMy DreamWorld

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:40 PM

Hi,

Since the patches, there is a difference in colours though...

4NUHsZR.jpg

Colour of my eyes is darkest black possible, but they still look like a blind man's eyes...

Hair is mostly darkest black too on the dreadlocks, but it looks like a greyish darkbrown...

• Koora and Cassey like this

#13 RobPathfinder

RobPathfinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:14 PM

I love the new effects THANK YOU!!!

#14 MeiLing

MeiLing

The fool who dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:12 AM

thank you Rockster. Then they are broken. I didn't have issues with the previous fireflies.

New effects look bad in Pandora

/me pouts

• Rockster likes this

#15 Alliehotass

Alliehotass

Bamboozla

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationAUSTRALIA

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:36 AM

Faces need fixing too please, the natural shine of the skin is gone and now they are matt. Look at Layla's face above compared to her arm LOL eet doesn't even look like skin on her face.

#16 THX

THX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationIn Your Cortex.

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:45 AM

If I may be so bold.. why not hire Rochi?

I'm serious.

That isn't meant as a slight. It is only meant as what I believe would be an asset to your company. There is so much to do and Rochi has been supportive.

The features of the .dll are really goo. It isn't a slight against the company. You all have to deal with shit like reports, conflicts, make new stuff, test.. blah blah blah. Why not use assets?

Just a thought.

Not trying to be a prick...... honestly..

• Akemi, Nylonfee, LaylaK and 2 others like this

#17 Rockster

Rockster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 08:49 AM

Hey Lisa, a huge thankyou and shoutout, the glass looks wonderful again. I have my floor back! TYTY. X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users