987 replies to this topic

#941 Xizl

Xizl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:48 PM

3DX has a huge chance to improve. One way is migrating the game to unity 2018.X. The downside to this is that 3DX has a ton of scripts written in JavaScript and the newer versions of Unity are scrapping JavaScript in favour for C# this means the developers will need to rewrite half the game for it to migrate correctly with minimum issues. This most likely would be a main reason why we're still using the old 2017 Unity 5 version.

And wait for year without updates? I think that more clothes/poses/clothes and poses editors and other nice stuff to add in game is more important than better graphics. 

• Cordelia likes this

#942 MissyG

MissyG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 03:17 PM

For me, this 3DX experience has been more about the other people playing, and interacting with them, more than clothes, poses or graphics. I know that's not the topic of discussion, but still, I think the game can use some improvement in that area too. Maybe more game options would bring more people? But maybe not. High quality does not always ensure something selling more than something of low quality. Just look at pop music.

#943 Ashbash

Ashbash

πŸŽ€ οΏ½ π’―π“Žπ“…π’Ύπ’Έπ’Άπ“ 𝐡𝓇𝒾𝓉 οΏ½ πŸŽ€

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:55 PM

And wait for year without updates? I think that more clothes/poses/clothes and poses editors and other nice stuff to add in game is more important than better graphics.

The issue with that is, the more content as big as those you mention they release the longer it will be come the time of the migration to a new engine version and also cause older versions to potentially no longer be valid example being you make a ton of clothes in a clothes editor for example then they're all useless due to format changes, then all that hardwork has gone.

Unless they start to write those applications in C#.

Edit; But who knows what they're working on. ^^ Hopefully we see some content improvements soon. I have been keeping track of this game and am surprised to see such little updates the past year compared to how it was back in '14-'15
  • Mar Mohan and Justy like this

#944 THX

THX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationIn Your Cortex.

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:21 PM

The update issues with Unity and Unreal is the reason five years ago Linden Labs decided Sansar would be made in their own custom platform engine.

Sansar and Oasis aren't going to stop developing, and who knows who else may enter the frey. It is logical to deduce 3DX simply cannot remain static if longevity and growth is a goal.
  • Ashbash and Mar Mohan like this

#945 Leeloo

Leeloo

Supreme One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in solar system

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:49 PM

I tried to put sansar on my computer (and it's a medium one, not a basic), but i was unable to load a single room or place or whatever they have. It's a game for heaaavy computers only. Better to go in SL, at least low computers can enter a basic room lol. Didn't saw Oasis thing though.

#946 AlexRyder

AlexRyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:23 AM

3DX has a huge chance to improve. One way is migrating the game to unity 2018.X. The downside to this is that 3DX has a ton of scripts written in JavaScript and the newer versions of Unity are scrapping JavaScript in favour for C# this means the developers will need to rewrite half the game for it to migrate correctly with minimum issues. This most likely would be a main reason why we're still using the old 2017 Unity 5 version.

Rewriting scripts from UnityScript to C# is not that hard really, can probably be done in a couple of weeks or something if you have sources. Or can be done via .dll decompilation to C# and some manual fixing (mostly required for IEnumerators).

#947 Twiggy

Twiggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:31 AM

Have they changed what they originally intended to do, which was to no longer supply the UnityScript compiler but still leave it so existing script would still work.

That was my understanding of it anyway, but was a while ago when I saw that.

#948 AlexRyder

AlexRyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:34 AM

I think they have an automatic UnityScript-to-C# conversion tool, but I haven't checked that. But there can be other legacy content which can be harder to update, like shaders or animations.

#949 THX

THX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:08 AM

For those wanting to understand some of the problems using Unity and Unreal pose to having lot's of user content and version updates, heavy modifications like pose editor, etc... this article from Linden Labs touches upon why they decided to build their own engine and why worlds like 3DX in Unity have major choices to make. 3DX may have some very hard decisions to make.

* Note: never used SL but it has 24 billion pieces of user created content. Holy shit.

https://modemworld.m...engine-w-audio/

#950 Mar Mohan

Mar Mohan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:32 PM

For those wanting to understand some of the problems using Unity and Unreal pose to having lot's of user content and version updates, heavy modifications like pose editor, etc... this article from Linden Labs touches upon why they decided to build their own engine and why worlds like 3DX in Unity have major choices to make. 3DX may have some very hard decisions to make.

* Note: never used SL but it has 24 billion pieces of user created content. Holy shit.

https://modemworld.m...engine-w-audio/

IMVU has a lot as well not to mention Utherverse games but that's the thing, Gizmo stated that they would never do a store because they want the users to all have the same thing.  The only difference has been the rooms to which people would be able to decorate with what we have.  Now with World Editor, people can build differently but like others agree that no money should be made off builds.  While time and effort goes into it, if they ever do away with it, those builds like the ones of the past are no longer of any use.

#951 THX

THX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:16 PM

IMVU has a lot as well not to mention Utherverse games but that's the thing, Gizmo stated that they would never do a store because they want the users to all have the same thing.  The only difference has been the rooms to which people would be able to decorate with what we have.  Now with World Editor, people can build differently but like others agree that no money should be made off builds.  While time and effort goes into it, if they ever do away with it, those builds like the ones of the past are no longer of any use.

The link is more about how when you start adding a lot of custom scripting (like a Pose Editor, Clothing Editor, Stores, and things of that sort would require)  you can face some major hurdles when updating to newer versions because of the custom stuff needing redone. Factors i'm sure they are weighing. Factors which lead LL to NOT use Unity or Unreal.

Do you stay with the current version you are using?. Do you upgrade? If you upgrade when? Do you upgrade at all? Do you work on a new upgraded version independently till it is ready?

#952 Phoenixsong

Phoenixsong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:10 PM

I have seen a lot of people talk about how they wish guys didn't have permaboners, and they could walk around while naked without one. I have never really gave it much thought, but i was in a room the other day and thanks to one of my ignores i got a preview of what one might look like if they ever added that design. what do you all think?

7pyYOgW.png

• Rockster likes this

#953 Rockster

Rockster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 06:22 PM

I have seen a lot of people talk about how they wish guys didn't have permaboners, and they could walk around while naked without one. I have never really gave it much thought, but i was in a room the other day and thanks to one of my ignores i got a preview of what one might look like if they ever added that design. what do you all think?

7pyYOgW.png

Yea, they can do it no worries, we also have that same dick when we have a pee. They don't have to design one.

• Phoenixsong likes this

#954 Phoenixsong

Phoenixsong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:12 PM

Yea, they can do it no worries, we also have that same dick when we have a pee. They don't have to design one.

probably not really important they add it or whatever, but if it is possible they might as well. maybe only have hard cocks when in sex poses and have them normal the rest of the time.

#955 Leeloo

Leeloo

Supreme One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in solar system

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:28 PM

that's how it was Five years ago

• xMaceyx likes this

#956 Xizl

Xizl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:51 PM

I think that flaccid dicks should not be as big as hard ones, they should be smaller. And there should also be an option of flaccid penis for girl avis because a lot of people play female avis permanently with dick - futas/shemales/sissys/femboys.
  • Takisa likes this

#957 Twiggy

Twiggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 March 2019 - 11:57 PM

Our avis are very much the same as they were 5 years ago.

I thought when the devs converted to unity 5 that the avis would be improved, as from what I understand almost all version upgrades done in other games do that.

The main feature of the game is the avis and I was really surprised when they weren't touched.

There are so many things that can be done that will allow people with more powerful computers to be able to see much better avis, and it can be done without effecting how others with lower end computers can play.

For example, if what has been explained to me is correct, then Material.SetTexture can be used to have it so we can select how high the detail of the textures on our avis is during gameplay.

Meaning we can have a control in the UI that allows us to set the resolution of the textures used.

Textures can be a big drain on our computers.

On each avi the color shown in the rendering is set by things like lighting for each single pixel on the avi.

The higher detail (higher resolution) texture maps used will require more power to render as there are so many more pixel need to be processed.

A 4096x4096 texture map has over 16 million pixels compared to a 2048x2048 which has 4 million, so to go to a map twice the size requires 4 times the processing.

And that goes for every single avatar we see on our screens.

So just setting the maps to a higher detailed map can create a lot of problems for people with low end computers.

But if they make it so we can select the detail, which map we use, then we can control how much our computers get effected.

There are also settings in unity that can be set the LOD to different objects during runtime, meaning we can have a control in the UI to set it.

The LOD controls the level of detail we see in objects that are over a certain distance away from our view point.

And this can reduce the amount of triangles used to draw objects that are more than that distance away from us.

Which can again be used to offer higher detail to people who have higher end computers while still allowing for those with low end computers.

I personally think the devs have not done enough with the avis over the years to allow for the increase in computer performance over that time.

Our avis should now be a lot better than they are and should have kept up with the improvements made in the detail made in the environment we have them in.

• Takisa likes this

#958 Phoenixsong

Phoenixsong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 12:04 AM

I think that flaccid dicks should not be as big as hard ones, they should be smaller. And there should also be an option of flaccid penis for girl avis because a lot of people play female avis permanently with dick - futas/shemales/sissys/femboys.

he's a BBC, for him that is flaccid =p

#959 Cassey

Cassey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 16 March 2019 - 04:37 AM

The link is more about how when you start adding a lot of custom scripting (like a Pose Editor, Clothing Editor, Stores, and things of that sort would require)  you can face some major hurdles when updating to newer versions because of the custom stuff needing redone. Factors i'm sure they are weighing. Factors which lead LL to NOT use Unity or Unreal.

Do you stay with the current version you are using?. Do you upgrade? If you upgrade when? Do you upgrade at all? Do you work on a new upgraded version independently till it is ready?

My two cents,

Many people get bored with games be it MMO, SIM, FPS, whatever. User created content and different activities in online games helps to keep customers around as they start doing different things to keep it fun for them. They may build a little while, then create a few outfits, maybe host a few virtual parties or some other entertainment activity available in many virtual worlds. LL went all out with user content in different ways….I’m sure their own new will be designed differently this time. UV to a lesser extent, so have more options. It seems to be a delicate balance between keeping a virtual world current as years go by while allowing us customers more options to entertain ourselves in the now.

#960 Mar Mohan

Mar Mohan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:18 AM

I know about scripting and such with how all of that works.  I read the article and that was my comment about what has been stated before with shops and such.  When I commented it was about the fact that people keep saying about user created content with shops on here, that's something that Gizmo said they'd never do as they want all users to have access to it.  World Editor is different as it's much like decorating a room, the room as it was before the WE update were all identical for house 1 & 2 then we placed furniture or used the .dll file to move furniture outside of it.  Do you know how long it took IMVU to finally correct the extra digit on the one hand?  I'll tell you, it was over 10 years and the problems that happened after wards from fixing the jewelry to poses was a royal pain in the ass for a lot of users to make the shift because if a user has over 1K for example in items they have to check each one to see which had the now missing digit and broken item to be fixed.  I've posted this line by Ashbash for those who are interested in adding content to the Devs for the game.  http://3dxforum.com/...eated-content/Β If a user wants to submit something it's easy to do but it's the Devs choice to do it.  Also I understand the upgrade part as well, the Devs may be taking all aspects as you have some users who are on older computers that may not work as well with an update they do, I mean there are still glitches that go on and have been reported to them.  Something simple for a change can fuck up enough to cause other major issues, it's always a WIP.  I have my work computer, my laptop and a PC and yes I keep them all updated because of what I do.  There is always an issue when upgrading things for certain things, hell Microsoft fried some hard drives when they did a forced Windows 10 update on Windows 7/8, I know someone they have to have Microsoft send out their hard drive to the data pulled which cost almost $3K but Microsoft paid for it as it was their fault.  I can say when I build I use the lowest settings possible because I don't know what users would/wouldn't be able to load the room and want everyone to enjoy it not sure about others do.  I do agree that the game needs more content which a lot of people have stated.  It would be nice to see the game grow from what it was in 2015 when I started to when I came back in 2017 to present, not much has been added or changed in the way of content besides World Editor which not all users are familiar with using.

• JenC likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: talk, updates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users