3DXChat Community

New door feature(test) object collision problems

TashaTight

I been testing out the new door feature and much of it looks good, but I wanna outline a few issues I found with it.

1. There seem to be no invisible like bone for the Pivot point it rotate around, or something at least to keep it attached to the pivot rotate point. This cause pushing into door to open it sometime to push door away from pivot point it rotate around, with object collisions at walls that will typically sorround the door on both sides it sometimes cause the turning point to move into undesirable place which causes problem. Sometimes minor aethestic issues visually other times collision block the door from turning all together.

2. Second issue I see with is somewhat minor visual thing where we either need some door texture so it's more obvious for people to see it's a door that opens, mostly because the door effect texture does not allow object to attach without collision issues. This prevent making things like door handles that move along with the door.

3. Third and final issue I see is that door does not close again after turning it sometimes, not sure if it's collisions or what is reason for it. But often part reason for the doors are privacy so not being able to close it or have it close again after opening and walking in not ideal.

As for fixes not entirely sure what be best to make it have fixed opening arc with close and open click function, or to have some invisible point where it attach to pivot turning point and stay attached to line or pole without collisions.

(If others experience something similiar or have something to add pleasure do jump in)

Its a great idea I would think though that it should be possible to lock the other axis so it only pivots. I assume this is really a test object and they will add real doors if people find it useful. It might be better though making them interactive so you can click it to close and open instead of having to walk though it and have it flip flop.

moving doors are a great idea, but no one knows how to set them into our rooms!

It would be good if you gizmo could tell us how :)

Ive just had a fiddle with this now and a few things.

To place the door, just stretch it to the dimentions you like, like you would using the cube.

Make sure to not make it too thick, the edges catch on the frame and cause it to stick.

Also make sure to leave a small air gap on all 4 sides, so dont use the snap-to feature, manually align all the sides leaving that small gap. You can see the gap in the second pic ive provided, the same gap needs to be at the bottom and both sides or sticking/wonky things can happen.

Hope this helps.

post-14658-0-98228600-1546149907_thumb.jpg

post-14658-0-37388100-1546149917_thumb.jpg

To place the door, just stretch it to the dimentions you like, like you would using the cube.

Make sure to not make it too thick, the edges catch on the frame and cause it to stick.

Also make sure to leave a small air gap on all 4 sides, so dont use the snap-to feature, manually align all the sides leaving that small gap. You can see the gap in the second pic ive provided, the same gap needs to be at the bottom and both sides or sticking/wonky things can happen.

Hope this helps.

makes sense as a door in real life has small gaps all the way around it

Hope this helps.

Did seems to help with the collision.

EDIT: That said once it go out of test phase I think they should get a fixed door model that look good and add door frame that match without collision problems opening it. I think the door will get limited use if you have to fine tune space around every door you make, where if it had door frames you would not have to place object gap nearly as precise to avoid collision or too much space around it.

The bigest "problem" i see with the door item is that, if we want it to work perfectly, we need to clic the ground behind the door or the avatar try to walk against the door as this is where the cursor have clicked. 

To solve it, 2 options;

-1- Have the door fully open when we are close to it or have us to clic the door to open it.

-2- give us the possibility to move with the arrow keys or with a controler. This will avoid the need to clic the ground behind the door.

Untill one of these options is made, here's the best way to use the door:

1- switch to free cam mode (F5) and move the camera behind the door

2- clic the ground where you want to go in the room (be sure your avatar will pass through the door lol)

3- switch to 3rd person cam (F6)