3DXChat Community

Max size location.world

Stelgar

Hello everyone

Building objects, mansions and places has become a passion for me.

But a question arises to me.

How big should a maximum of one location.file be?

I build many objects with details in one location and the file grown up bigger and bigger.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Stelgar,

From my personal experience, it depends on the number of players you expect and their computers.

3000Kb seems a pretty reasonable limit for people with pretty decent computers and 15~20 people around.

It also depend on the number of visual effect object that tend to have some impact on the overall performances so it's better to limit smoke, fire etc.

Also keep in mind that the computer render what is displayed on the screen. If you have several "closed" rooms around your place they will be more performance friendly than if you have huge windows all around and that you can see almost all of your map from where you stand.

Good luck and have fun :)

Would probably suggest if this is on going build project on room that you already been opening, not a first time launch opening after it's finished then my best advice probably be to strike up conversations with guest and ask them how it runs for them. It can be hard if you're sitting on a high end PC with a heavy hitter graphic card and a strong internet connection to really know exactly how it runs for people who are not on newest gaming PC or with big internet connections.

Personally I would not recommed going over 1kb in my opinion and would keep things like effects to a minimum because they drain a lot on the limited ram a 32bit version can use. That said GottaGo is probably right in that you can go much higher too but it may not run all that well on lower end connections or PCs, but again still think best advice is to socialize with visitors and ask their opinions as on how smoothly it runs for them. Since afterall they're the ones who is going to keep the room alive with visitors.

1 mb room file without smoke and spacy room so camera  doesnt render everything all time is pretty good 

also there is something i call smart build what it is ? simple avoid have multi prop items near where u expect ppl will be 

for example a dance area that u expect many ppl be there dancing avoid have very near items that have been build with many props it helps i know cause i have tested that 

animated stuff cause lag  floors n matterials that reflect lights might cause lag 

depending how u will build a said room u can even have all those n not lag if you know how to do that and how to organise the space with the props :)

Would probably suggest if this is on going build project on room that you already been opening, not a first time launch opening after it's finished then my best advice probably be to strike up conversations with guest and ask them how it runs for them. It can be hard if you're sitting on a high end PC with a heavy hitter graphic card and a strong internet connection to really know exactly how it runs for people who are not on newest gaming PC or with big internet connections.

Personally I would not recommed going over 1kb in my opinion and would keep things like effects to a minimum because they drain a lot on the limited ram a 32bit version can use. That said GottaGo is probably right in that you can go much higher too but it may not run all that well on lower end connections or PCs, but again still think best advice is to socialize with visitors and ask their opinions as on how smoothly it runs for them. Since afterall they're the ones who is going to keep the room alive with visitors.

Ok, thank you for your assessment. The only way i see, is a testrun with guests in the location.

At the moment the location has a filesize about 2.3mb. no windows, a closed room without fire or smoke effects, but many details and lightseffects.