3DXChat Community

Keeping shared world open despite logout

SuzyShine

There is one aspect to this I haven't seen mentioned yet.

There are already a lot of rooms competing for a limited audience and which rely on attracting a big crowd to fully realise their potential as a party room.

Currently it is rare to see more than 2 or 3 open at any one time and numbers always seem good.

But if all the popular rooms can remain open effectively 24/7 I could only see this having a detrimental effect not only on those rooms with grand openings, etc but also on anyone else aspiring to open a room and hoping for more than 2 or 3 passing through on their way to one of the 10-15 most popular rooms each with only 10-15 people in.

I could be totally wrong of course but that was the thought that popped into my head as I was reading through

Two additional thoughts ... after waiting one day because of this restriction which lets my post just one post per day 

I would also welcome the possibility to categorize rooms and then filter the list. If I'm a lesbian, I'm not interested in BBC rooms. When I play as a man and am only interested in wild pose choosing, I do not go to any places where I'm expected to say something.

Second: A kind of autoresponder would be awesome. Either for one's own profile or your own world, so that other users are informed with a short text that you just do not sit on the computer.
This would make it quite easy to keep a room open for guests, who then do not have to wonder why the hostess is so rude and does not answer.

Now I wait another day, until the next post ...

There is one aspect to this I haven't seen mentioned yet.

There are already a lot of rooms competing for a limited audience and which rely on attracting a big crowd to fully realise their potential as a party room.

Currently it is rare to see more than 2 or 3 open at any one time and numbers always seem good.

But if all the popular rooms can remain open effectively 24/7 I could only see this having a detrimental effect not only on those rooms with grand openings, etc but also on anyone else aspiring to open a room and hoping for more than 2 or 3 passing through on their way to one of the 10-15 most popular rooms each with only 10-15 people in.

I could be totally wrong of course but that was the thought that popped into my head as I was reading through

If a room list or "directory of rooms" shows how many are currently in a room, and is sorted in decending order, then I think generally people migrate towards the busier rooms unless they are seeking a particular type of environment or experience.  It tends to happen like that now on 3DX and it happens in RLC with their categorised room directory.    My experience over nearly 10 years of playing games like this is that there are almost always a handful of really busy rooms where nearly all the online players can be found, a load of rooms where just a handful of the online players can be found, and then hundreds of rooms that are empty and waiting for someone looking for the experience that room offers.

Truth is people really are social animals and they do show a tendency to behave like sheep.  Or do sheep behave like humans?  I guess that is a matter of perspective  ;).

BUT, showing the number of active players in the room and showing them in descending sequence is critical.

If a room list or "directory of rooms" shows how many are currently in a room, and is sorted in decending order, then I think generally people migrate towards the busier rooms unless they are seeking a particular type of environment or experience.  It tends to happen like that now on 3DX and it happens in RLC with their categorised room directory.    My experience over nearly 10 years of playing games like this is that there are almost always a handful of really busy rooms where nearly all the online players can be found, a load of rooms where just a handful of the online players can be found, and then hundreds of rooms that are empty and waiting for someone looking for the experience that room offers.

Truth is people really are social animals and they do show a tendency to behave like sheep.  Or do sheep behave like humans?  I guess that is a matter of perspective  ;).

BUT, showing the number of active players in the room and showing them in descending sequence is critical.

There's nothing wrong with players flocking to where the crowd is, after all one of the points is to meet new players to expand the experience or renew it. If a creator is crafty enough to make a good room and entertaining enough to animate the spirits, why not "go out for the night", right?

A library of rooms would be ideal, though the downside of that could be the copies, the "samey" kind of rooms. And for the database to keep track of what's original and what's copied may be a bit too daunting to implement. As we stand now, it seems simple enough to just let a room be active as long as there is someone in it, and maybe give it a grace period once is empty. Something makes me think this may be as easy as flipping a switch, though is not necessarily true.

And speaking of empty rooms, aren't there listed rooms with ZERO players? How do those stay alive?

There's nothing wrong with players flocking to where the crowd is, after all one of the points is to meet new players to expand the experience or renew it. If a creator is crafty enough to make a good room and entertaining enough to animate the spirits, why not "go out for the night", right?

Absolutely right.  I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, and in fact I was trying support the ability to flock to the crowds.  My point about the number of players in a room and the sequence of the listings was exactly to allow us to follow our instincts if we chose to and to "hit the town" where ever the action happened to be  :).

And speaking of empty rooms, aren't there listed rooms with ZERO players? How do those stay alive?

you know a room is bad when not even the owner of the room is in it

The same theory applies to restaurants.  Do we need to call in Gordon Ramsey?

The amount in the room has nothing to do with the quality of it. These days it comes down to advertising, popularity of the person hosting or having some word relating to sex. I would like to think i have built some really good rooms, yet i can't get anyone in them, but for example, other people can come up with a square block and shove a few beds around and bam there is 60 people in there, all because it says come fuck my tight pussy with your big cock.

Unless your planning on doing a major rework of the existing way rooms are listed, why not just have a 15 min delay to cover disconnect issues?

If your going to do a rework, then perhaps a Page system with catagories. Club, Sex, other, but sorted with existing sorter.

Want a dance club, get the list of rooms calling themselves clubs... want a orgy place, then go to the sex catagory etc. It would also be nice if a brief description could be typed in about the room theme and maybe a picture slot like the 3dx properties have for a uploadable picture. Also, list the population at the 3DX properties.

Irregardless of minor or major rework, would you PLEASE make it so we can kick and ban people from our properties? Room administration is very important either way.

And if your thinking of an even bigger change to the main GUI, can you collapse all those dances down to a single dance drop down menu? There is too much clutter that doesn't need to take up screen space on the right side. Or maybe move it all to smaller buttons along the top of the screen or drop down menu? Those buttons are huge and sit and lay options don't need to take up that much space either. Make them smaller and out of the way.

Keep rooms open without border makes no sense because then will be more rooms there as players^^

But I like and agree with the ideas of an room puffer for 30min or similar as bridge for crashs of the room owner.

Keep an room open for XGold is also a good idea :)

This is what I wished :P

- split the rooms in 2 tabs: Party Room  and Sex Room

- top of lists would be occupied first by room opened by friends in the FL then the normal order

- I like the idea of a defined time the room stays open after the host disconnected, this way if there is a crash host has time to come back.

- fix the bug when a room close, you stay for ever on a loading screen when loading another room

- keep the room open x hours for xgold sounds good to me as well

- when joining a room, a pop up with a room description filled by the host ( so people can put if cold are ok or not, a welcome message, a dj line up etc...)

Ancient RLC for over 7 years has kept every room open 24/7. There has to be over 100,000 rooms or more by now. It's obvious it can be done. If I rember correctly, you just choose top 20, or top 40 under catagories like most popular, Adult, drugs, parks, etc.etc... etc.. for lists a few pages long. I think then it is then filtered by time since a place has been open after the main lists. Nice thing about that is, with a search bar you can type a keyword in and get hits. You can visit places that are forgotten or kewl from many many years ago. That can be kinda kewl to explore.

Kinda funny hearing some calling for XGold to be used to keep rooms open. The beginning of a micro economy? Lol

Might as well just charge daily, weekly, monthly or yearly rent and make this simpler if there is a desire for a micro economy.

From what i know the rooms are located on our pc now ,in order for a room to stay open after u log out or crash or whatever this room needs to be on the server ,so we talking about gizmo get one more server to host rooms  :D smells like money  :D 

i like the idea for rooms stay open after u log out etc but definetly those room owners have to pay some cost cause servers arent free

for example u could pursuase a bundle that would give you X hours open after u log out or whatever  :) 

Keep an room open for XGold is also a good idea :)

I can't help feeling that this would be a bit unfair on the person that has spent what was probably hours, if not days or weeks, to create an environment for the enjoyment of all, which when proven to be popular then has to pay by using up their own xgold in order to satisfy the demand of others that like using the room.

From what i know the rooms are located on our pc now ,in order for a room to stay open after u log out or crash or whatever this room needs to be on the server ,so we talking about gizmo get one more server to host rooms  :D smells like money  :D 

i like the idea for rooms stay open after u log out etc but definetly those room owners have to pay some cost cause servers arent free

for example u could pursuase a bundle that would give you X hours open after u log out or whatever  :) 

I'm not really "in the know" about how the game works, but every player that joins the room has it downloaded locally. Rooms file size is the order of dozens of megabites tops, I think, not hundreds or gigs. So with more than one player having the room active, it looks more like "turning on" a feature where the room stays active until everyone leaves. The public server would be needed to host the room only if there is a grace period to keep the room alive without players in it. Obviously the server is used to make all the connections and transfer the data, but it does that anyway.

I'm not really "in the know" about how the game works, but every player that joins the room has it downloaded locally. Rooms file size is the order of dozens of megabites tops, I think, not hundreds or gigs. So with more than one player having the room active, it looks more like "turning on" a feature where the room stays active until everyone leaves. The public server would be needed to host the room only if there is a grace period to keep the room alive without players in it. Obviously the server is used to make all the connections and transfer the data, but it does that anyway.

lemme give u a simple example , in second life rooms/clubs are 24/7 open cause playes have either bought sim or rent sim (sim)=spot in server actually goes by prims aka props here prims or props occupy space on server .

now are we talking the x room stay open for few secs when host crashed or stay 24/7 or a time he/she has choose ?

I can't help feeling that this would be a bit unfair on the person that has spent what was probably hours, if not days or weeks, to create an environment for the enjoyment of all, which when proven to be popular then has to pay by using up their own xgold in order to satisfy the demand of others that like using the room.

Only for a 24/7 opening. 

Question: what does mean a room without its owner?

The Absolute is wonderful but without Raeven, it is just an other beautiful room.

Good idea. I want to know what do you think about it guys?

Would like option to keep the room open even while offline or doing something else, but maybe adding premium account option where you can do might be best idea. Since I assume most will want to do which likely will end stressing server from what we at times seen before with big rooms that get crowded, maybe adding it as option to premium account would both reduce number of people who don't really need option as much using it. But also allow for little extra subscription money to off set stress on server from having multiple user rooms open around clock.

Or maybe Xgold also that allow holding it open for set amount of time, that would allow little more control over it and purchasing extra Xgold if needed might also provide some extra funding to keep servers stable and able to handle it.

I think at any case making it free options just going to make it something everyone wants to do, which is likely going to put pressure under server especially if it's really big rooms like we seen in past. Bu that's just my opinion on it.

EDIT: I been thinking about it more I think best way would be doing Xgold, then figure out number and time that seem reasonable with when premium account cost would be. Then maybe put in sorta tax meter box, there Xgold could be put into by both owner and guests. That would mean that the rooms most desired to be kept open 24/7 would be those host or guest most willing to see open as they would add something to keep it running, this should avoid server being cluttered by empty big rooms open around the clock too.