3DXChat Community

This Sunday 11/11/2018  marks 100 years since the Armistice was signed in November 1918, bringing an end to the First World War. 

The agreement between the Allies and a vanquished Germany required the latter to leave all occupied territories in Western Europe within two weeks and surrender 5,000 guns, 25,000 machine guns and 1,700 planes.

Big Ben sounded in Parliament Square to ring in the news as thousands gathered in Westminster and outside Buckingham Palace roaring in celebration, sparking three days of jubilation across Britain.

Why do people wear poppies for Armistice Day?

The Royal British Legion has run its Poppy Appeal since 1921, importing American academic Moina Michael’s idea of sporting handmade silk poppies, to raise money for living servicemen and women.

Taking inspiration from the 1915 poem “In Flanders Fields” by Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae, the bright red wildflower was chosen as a symbol of hope because it once grew in the fields torn apart by shellfire and tank tracks where many fallen soldiers met their end.

2313.poem.jpg

Wear your poppy with pride.

Remember our fallen heroes.

Make sure, this NEVER happens again.

efy0uEY.png

Remembrance-Day-Lest-We-Forget-Poppy-Flo

You know, Veteran's Day is for those living not dead yet. Sunday in the United States is Veterans' Day a day people celebrate and I don't know to me they forget what it is about. To the warriors out there, Happy Veterans' Day, you have earned this day of peace if that is what is there in your life. 

https://youtu.be/o_l4Ab5FRwM 

As we approach the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month here in the UK, 100 years on from the end of The Great War, I am mindful that at near retirement age myself, I have never been called upon to fight for the freedoms and liberties that I have always enjoyed throughout my life.

I consider myself privilaged to have lived through times in which conscription has not been required in the UK, unlike the call for duty before I was born that was made for the two World Wars. Whilst recognising that there have been conflicts in my lifetime, and I am grateful to those that chose to make military duty their career to protect us all, I am at the same time immensely privilaged to have lived through relatively peaceful times, such that I have never had to serve for my country and for my fellow countrymen and woman.

But it is at times like now that I am reminded that my situation is not a result luck but of a result of incredible sacrifice. The great sacrifice that all those brave men and women made when they fought and died to protect the freedoms I have enjoyed.

I am eternally grateful to them.

Today I remember you, I thank you, and I honour you.

Dedicated to our Military and the fallen servicemen. Thank you for your service. Thank you for all you have done, achieved and given.

A Soldier’s Battlefield.

The Crashing of shells

Shrapnel and exploding earth

Will I survive this?

Helmet slips down to

Eyes, with splatterings of blood

Loud and scary times.

Not my blood Thank God

But the poor soul blown to bits

Standing next to me.

A mush of flesh there

Is all that remains of him.

God keep me safe prayers!

A wounded comrade

Seen in the red grass ahead

I pull him to stand

“Run and keep moving”

I shout above the mad din

More exploding clods

He nods, turns and falls

A bullet lodged in his brain

Instant death this time.

In the deathly smog

More deadly enemy fire

Cutting down brave men.

Choking as I breathe,

Bad air and death everywhere

Eyes sting and mouth dry.

Too much blood stains me

Mostly from others, not mine

The horrors of war.

I see enemy

A murderous soldier looms

It is me or him.

He lunges for me

With rifle and bayonette

I parry and slice

He falls with dead eyes

My swipe firm and fatal

A man in his prime.

Exhausted and tired

Another man meets his death

As I fire and hit.

The battle rages

All around me dead soldiers

The war of countrys.

Bullets whizzing round

Screams of fatal injuries

Dodging and weaving

Praying I survive

My mind already war scarred

Nightmares now sown.

Will I ever know

The Peace we fight for so strong

A bullet finds target…

My legs seering pain.

I fall to the ground, screaming

Blackness and breathless.

I see enemy

The murderous soldier looms

It is me or him.

His deathly eyes wide

Screaming I fight for my life

I am held down fast

“It’s ok Soldier,”

A feminine voice calms me

“You are safe now here.”

Hospital Care now

Physical injuries heal

Mental scars still hurt.

War's cost is too high

Dialogue and compromise

Is the way forward.

Ask the soldiers who know!

tcp-1st-world-war__tcp_large.jpg

Now published in Literotica.   If you have time to visit,  I would appreaciate a 5 Star rating. Many Thanks. 

Vaughan1 Stories/Poems -   https://www.literotica.com/stories/memberpage.php?uid=3527690&page=submissions 

Stories/Poems > A Soldier’s Battlefield.  

Normally today I would have called my Pop and thanked him for his service.  Then we would have gone to dinner and shared a bottle of wine while toasting his fellow veterans at nearby tables. Because yes, Veterans Day in the states is for the Veterans who are still with us.

If you asked my Pop to tell you about himself the first thing he would tell you is that he was a retired US Marine.  He would not say more because in his eyes that said it all. He would not tell you that he did two tours in WW2.  He would not mention his two tours in Korea either.  And the last thing he would ever dream of telling you was that he was one Bad Ass Mother Fucker.  But he was.  And we have the metals he was awarded to prove it.

He passed away this last April having fought till his last breath, but I toast him now as I always have and always will on this day.  It was an honor to call him Pop, this great member of the greatest generation (to date). May he, and all who fight for our freedoms globally never be forgotten.

The tone was somber, many eyes wet with tears of remembrance. I watched this with eyes wet as well....the official Canadian Remembrance day commemoration. 100 years since the Armistice was signed. Somber tributes given to the fallen and the survivors. Wreaths put upon the huge stone memorial of the soldiers of past wars. And all this, so we never forget those who gave their lives in service of their country and the freedoms we enjoy. This tribute from all its people, Native tribes and others from all walks of life, young and old.

In Canada, November 11 is officially called Remembrance Day, but it is also known as Armistice Day and Poppy Day. Remembrance Day is commemorated in many countries, particularly members of the Commonwealth, including Australia and New Zealand (where it is also referred to as Armistice Day).

My thoughts too, went to those in my family that served in the military, all my dads brothers, 2 of my mothers brothers, 3 of my nephews and one of my daughters all in the USA. Pride in them and tears too as many are gone. However in my heart they live and breathe

because

I remember them and what they stood for.

Always remember, Never forget and make each day a celebration of the life we have, because it is Precious, and Priceless.

• 6 months later...

Verdun, France --  WW1

There were 300 days and 300 nights of combat without a break, 300,000 dead and missing, 400,000 French and German wounded. The Battle of Verdun in 1916 was a frontal assault, the most murderous in history, between France and Germany. This struggle for annihilation, through an artillery duel without precedent, symbolizes and summarizes the whole war.

The memorial to the unknown soldier in Verdun:

1A5I2BE.jpg

CIx1Ori.jpg

yTbIwtf.jpg

The only "dark dot" into this day is E. Macron giving the medal of "la légion d'honneur" to 5 soldiers when the day before he gave the same medal to 20 men from the french team of soccer. The soldiers earned this medal, the soccer men just played soccer to have it.

• 5 months later...