#1 Terrabytes

Terrabytes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationIn my head

Posted 13 September 2018 - 05:48 PM

Hi,  Newb here plugging away in World editor.

1st)  TY to the many peeps that have already hooked me up with links and guidance

2nd) TY to Xanar for the VERY helpful basic build tutorials.

Am trying to build lighted arches over the entry to my future villa

59a.jpg

Something like this.

My problem - the arches available in the object library all seem to large, more like bridge and overpass arches.

I can't scale them down enough to synch up with my entry footprint and the placement of there bases.

hmm, now pondering if it is possible my entry walkway footprint is scaled to small to accommodate them?

Any help or guidance is appreciated and thanks in advance.

BR,

Robert

• OLESYA, DenmarkDCR, JulianSMG and 1 other like this

#2 MeiLing

MeiLing

The fool who dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,151 posts
  • LocationMeiHenge

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:15 PM

If you modified the initial size, it should help.

• OLESYA and Terrabytes like this

#3 Terrabytes

Terrabytes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationIn my head

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:00 PM

TY for quick reply.

Is there a general rule of thumb for scaling the builds here relative to Avi size and fixed object library?

Haven't found anything in docs or tutorials addressing the scaling tey. Not saying is not out there somewhere,

I have not found it yet and not afraid to ask.

TY Mei

PS. fan of your B&W photos :rolleyes:  ;)

#4 chloe

chloe

♫ Queen of Bass ♫

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts
  • LocationDJ Booth

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:17 PM

It's possible but not easy to explain. The existent arches are getting to thick if you size them up. So take a flat box, clone it and move it a good step along on one axis... Select both and clone rotate them until you get a nice circle. Delete what you don't need and you are finished. All you need is to adjust now all parts so they fit perfectly. It's a lot of work but sometimes the only way to do it. I use this trick pretty often.

#5 Terrabytes

Terrabytes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationIn my head

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:53 PM

aha  :D

8dC4AbE.jpg?1

Now to see if I can use same method to create and apply a lighted surface to the undersides of my arches. Can I make it that thin? Will it conform to my arch?

Let's go find out. It's always something with homeownership.

TY so much Chloe  

• OLESYA likes this

#6 Rockster

Rockster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:47 PM

The arches in your image are basically half circles, so if you are building on the ground and have space underneath the build where no-one can see, you can always use the round tube prop (a cylinder with a hole in it) and place it so only the top half of it appears and the bottom half is buried in the ground. It will look like your image. All you have to do is re-size the prop, make it very short/thin and flip it sideways 90 degrees using snap rotate. (Magnet icon with bent arrow, make sure this is highlighted to enable, go into settings and enter "45" in the snap rotate field, any more than this is too hard to drag, with snap rotate enabled, select the prop, click the green rotate icon so the circles appear all around it, find the line which goes in the direction you wish to rotate it in and click and drag that line, nothing will happen until you have moved it 45 degrees and it will snap into place, drag it once more and it will be 90 degrees and sitting sideways and then you can sink it into the ground and hide the bottom and rotate it around horizontally so the arch is facing in the direction you want it to.)

To make the lighted part, you would use (in materials section) the first tile in the emission section, this one is on all the time and does not flash or glow on and off. You can change this emission to any colour or intensity you want using the colour palette. To make the underside lit part, all you have to do is clone the original piece, then move it and re-size it so it only shows visible where you want it to, on that surface/side. This does not mean you have to make it completely thin, as long as it is contained within the other piece and nothing of the new piece is sticking out, you will only see the slice where you want it to regardless of how big the object is. Clone the prop and make it any contrasting pattern so you can see the two pieces clearly, at this point it does not matter what the pattern is. With the cloned piece selected, click the left hand green move icon (4 arrows) and using the yellow central box to drag, slide the whole thing in the direction you wish it to show up, whether a couple of pixels only or a thicker slice. When you have the surface of the new cloned object with the contrasting pattern showing where you want it to, then click on the re-size green icon and drag the edges of the cloned object towards the center of itself so that all sides are buried inside the original prop and only the one side you wish to have visible is showing. By now you should have the original object, and along one surface of it, a contrasting pattern. With the cloned object still selected, switch to the emission texture and adjust the colour and intensity as desired. When you are happy with your emission texture, close the colour palette, it will save your colour choice even if you close it. (EDIT: see below) Repeat the above for all the surfaces you wish to create, when changing the texture to the emission, and having selected the correct emission tile first, open your colour palette and making very sure not to move the colour dot in any way, just click onto the dot once and the surface will then match the previous one. This is the way I often do it, but if you wish to change all of them to the new texture in one step at the same time which can be easier, you can leave the temporary texture in place until you have made all your new surfaces, then select all objects at once (hold down CTRL and left click so they are all highlighted green) and work on your texture/colour/light-intesnity on all parts at once, as this is possible in multi-select mode.

*edit* I'm silly, looking at your image, you will only need to create one arch and lit surface then you can clone them, so no need to open and shut the colour palette. Make one arch and clone it and make the contrasting layer, then apply the emission texture and adjust the colour and intensity. When you are happy with it, you will only have two pieces. So select both of them and click the copy icon, then drag the new copy along, when it is where you want it to be, copy them again and repeat until you have all your arches. Each clone will copy the colour settings on the lit part anyway so no need to redo them. If you wish to make it exact and don't want to guess the gaps, enable 'snap move' (magnet icon with straight arrows) and drag the cloned pieces along using this method (you may have to fly way up high in the air and backwards somewhat to have enough room to snap them along if they are large, with snap move you need the 'screen space' to be able to drag them along, and if your cursor reaches the top of the screen, or any edge of the screen before snapping to the new position, it will not move, depending on the setting you have for snap move of course. So you need plenty of open screen space to make it snap along.).

Edited by Rockster, 13 September 2018 - 10:14 PM.

#7 Terrabytes

Terrabytes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationIn my head

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:44 AM

:) Amazing, in less than 4 hours this community provided me more ways of accomplishing my request than I thought possible.  :D TY

Rockstar, your creative workaround suits my build perfectly and is an easy solution. I have mastered the cloning feature, it is my friend.

The area I plan to incorporate these arches is elevated above sea level but will never be seen by guests.

Not at this early stage of my concurrent design and build. Your detailed instructions were appreciated.

Having fun.  

• Rockster likes this

#8 Rockster

Rockster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 02:53 AM

You could always box it all in underneath. Have the walls of the box go right down into the sea so it looks like a building and hides the underneath of the arches. Here's a place I made, I didn't bother boxing in the top part but I thought the bottom just floating above the sea not being held up by anything looked kind of silly so put walls all around to make it look a little more solid and real.

boxed_in_1.jpg

boxed_in_2.jpg

• Terrabytes likes this

#9 RobPathfinder

RobPathfinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:20 AM

It is one of the reasons why I love this feature of the game. Many people are more than happy to help with advice and guidance to help you accomplish your vision. 

#10 Terrabytes

Terrabytes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationIn my head

Posted 15 September 2018 - 02:18 PM

It is one of the reasons why I love this feature of the game. Many people are more than happy to help with advice and guidance to help you accomplish your vision. 

The creating and building aspect is the feature that differentiates this world from the one I left and the reason I subscribed here and never did there. Plus the thriving community here has proven to be an instant resource. Like google without having to sift thru the BS.  :) 

Thanks again to all of your creative solutions and guidance. Here, PMs and in game. Realizing this is more of an art than science. Promise to post screenshots of completed arches as soon as I can.

#11 Xandisweet

Xandisweet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationProbably nappin

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:13 AM

If you hold the shift key with the resize tool you can scale objects without them becoming all screwy. Works with multiple selected items as well.
  • Terrabytes likes this

#12 Terrabytes

Terrabytes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationIn my head

Posted 29 September 2018 - 12:11 AM

Here are the screen shots I promised earlier.

8LCtgJT.png?1

toPWjzs.png?1

My first shot at recreating the "inspriational" photo posted at the beginning of the thread, of a long scenic entry way to......................eventually something  :unsure:

• Rockster and Vaughan_Rarius like this

#13 Rockster

Rockster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 01:09 AM

That looks amazing, and I really like what u did with the shapes in the foreground, making something look appealing in a random but semi-ordered way is not easy and u nailed it. But yea, arches look great and the scale is lovely. (Don't worry too much about what it leads to, something will likely pop into your mind and you will see what it looks like. First thing I always do is wonder what the build is going to be used for, and then what style it is in. Is it a club, house, artwork or more functional, small, large, modern, old, stone, concrete, glass, one story, more, huge, smaller, bla bla bla. That often helps determine some of what it will end-up looking like. As you imagine what you want it to be used for it starts to take shape in your head and then the style you imagine makes it take shape even more so by the time you start building it, you have a rough image in your minds eye already and its much easier. What I suggest though, just as an idea, is that seeing you have made an awesome entry, you can potentially use it on different builds if you want and it's basically something of value in its own right, just as it is right now with nothing else added. So I would save the file to your computer and call it "arch entry" or something, and then also save the same thing with a different name at the same time so it is a new and separate file of exactly the same thing, and then just work on that file and leave the first one alone. What this means is that no matter what you do to the build, you have the entry on it's own permanently, and if you ever want to, you can load it and build something different onto it, so it's like a modular piece of something you can connect to other new things and ideas you make if you ever want to. You might never want to use it or need to and will be happy with just whatever you add to it from this point onwards, but it's nothing to save it on its own and have the file sitting there just in case, it could be handy later on as you get more and more new ideas, and now would be the time to do it while it's in its pure state.)

• Terrabytes likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users