3DXChat Community

Strange World Editor problems (SOLVED)

Lovers

Strange World Editor problems.

It started when using 'merge' to add props ... most objects don't immediately select   .... Some objects do and when selecting the sizing tool they flash on and off? ... eventually, after some time, all objects will select.

Now I have merged a new object made of several pieces  ... I can't select it at all? 

I can select / delete everything around it and what ever I do the object or its parts won't select (turn green)  ...

Its driving me mad  ....

Its not that the object or its parts are covered as I have even tried deleting everything around it ... it just won't select?

PS, I even uninstalled and re-installed the game to see if it was my PC  ....

The only time I seen something like this was when the entire item was encased in huge clear glass area, or your camera/self was incased, either one will cause you to not be able to select anything.

Also, another thing/part maybe attached/grouped to the item, but 100 miles away, that would also cause some real problems.

The only time I seen something like this was when the entire item was encased in huge clear glass area, or your camera/self was incased, either one will cause you to not be able to select anything.

Also, another thing/part maybe attached/grouped to the item, but 100 miles away, that would also cause some real problems.

Its definately not encased ... if it was what was encasing it should be selectable ... mmmm .... it was selectable after a long period of time .... This started happening a while back and it seens to have spread throughout my files like a virus?

Damn .... its strange  .... It started when I merged one item   ..... Now I created a new item in that room  ... only about 50 or 60 parts  ... deleted everything excepyt the new item and saved it as a file  ...

Just loaded it into the default room and the same problem .... feels like a virus?

It seems merging contains all the old info  ... so a small object after being merged a few times gains more and more redundant info  ... a simple table with nothing else  50-60 objects is now at over 600 kbs?

I can't provide a definitive answer so probably shouldn't post on this issue, but for what it's worth; 1. I know the merge function works properly as I've used it several times and it worked without a hitch, so I wouldn't think it was a bug in the merge function itself. 2. I would try to work out if the issue was with the prop(s) you are trying to merge, or with the build you are merging into. It could be an issue with one or more of the items in the smaller file, or it could be something with the place you are merging into, like some limit you have reached prop-wise, though I'm not even sure there is such a limit. I would work it out this way... Clear all props so you have a blank world (after saving that build to file for re-loading), then load from file with the smaller file of the prop you are merging so it's loaded on its own into the blank world. Then try and work with it and see if there are any issues, like de-select, select, move etc. If it still plays up, the problem is with your smaller file. If there are no issues and you can work normally with it in the blank world, it could be that the issue you have is in the larger file you are moving into. Cause you can merge backwards like this anyway, then merge from file using the main build and see what happens, making sure the existing prop is snap-moved away up in the air out of the way, preferably with a massive white cube next to it so you can find it again. If you then encounter the issue again, and the smaller lot plays up and will not select, you'll know the problem is with your main map not the smaller file. I think that would be a way to find out anyway and is what I would try.

I think the merge function is filling the files with redundant info ... all the past stuff and not just how the file is at th time its saved .... the more times its moved the bigger the file gets it appears :(

Example I build a prop in a room  .... remove everything except the new prop and save  ... it is a massive file and not just the prop  ... if that makes sense  ...

Seems my props after having been moved several times are slowly growing in redundant info   .... 

Damn wish I had known earlier ... unless someone knows how to remove redundant info from the files, I'll have to start from scratch :( .

I now know the props are selectable, but after waiting a long time   .... and I have a powerful PC with plenty of ram.

Thank you Rockster and JenC for your help.

OK  ... deleting stuff isn't removing redundant info  .....

My table, made of about 50-60 objects and saved after deleting everything from the room I buit it in takes nearly 5 minutes before its selectable  .....

So when I could finally select it I deleted it and so was left with a completely empy room  ....

Checked the file  ... of an completely empty room and its 602 kb ? what the F%$k?

Anyone know how to remove redundant info  ... I am guessing some peoples room files are a lot bigger than they need to be ...  if the World editor is keeping the info on every edit of a file   ... even if saved to a new file .... they are just going to keep growing unless every build starts from scratch :(

One thought.... not sayin you do, but if anyone has rochies dll installed it acts differently to how the world editor normally works and creates duplicates if you do not do the step 'clear all props' manually before loading again from file. Normally when you load a room from file (not merge) in the world editor it automatically removes all props first as part of the loading process, but with her dll installed, it leaves what is there and lays the new file over the top. This means if someone loads the same room file again and again while in the room, it creates more and more duplicates without them knowing. The only way to find out if this has happened is to find a prop, say a sofa, delete it and see if it goes after just the one delete or if it stays there. If it stays there it has been duped, u then keep deleting it over and over again and count the times you do it, until the final time it goes then hit the back button to bring back the original. You would be counting because that is how many times you would need to manually delete every single prop in the build to get down to one single of each again. And worst news is that if someone has loaded and saved a room in this way, they have to manually delete all the dupes in this way because the original file they have saved is full of them and u can't just go back to having one of each prop.

Thanks, but read my post above 

I'm saying maybe the prop you have made is duped to fuck. Have you tried deleting parts of it and seeing if they go in one delete or stay there?

Deleted everything  ... completely  ... it is a totally empty room saved to a new file called empty and it is 602 kb :(

oh I see, the empty room also had info in it. Ok. Save the room as empty, go into another location to do it, go back in and check again. also I don't know if the sea takes up any data like that.

I don't want to start from scratch every time I build  .... I want the room to save in the state it is in  ... not containing the past history of all the props  .. slowly growing over time :(

I've never heard of that happening, all I have learnt is about the duplication when someone uses Rochies dll and I mentioned that because the props get larger and larger in size due to the overlay of the same prop in the same place but never knowing they are there, which is why I mentioned it because it sounds similar. -Growing file size with the same things (at least you think they are) in the room. But if that is not what is happening I have no idea what it could be.

Thanks  ... hopefully Gizmo will read this  

OK   it was my fault  ... when I first started using World editor 'save selected to file' didn't work   .... a bad habit was formed  :(

... when I want an object I delete everything except the object/s I want (sometimes move them) then save to file .  This has been increasing the file sizes.

So the fix  .... The table I had that was 606 kb I selected it and rather than save to 'save to file' I saved to 'save selected to file'

The file went from 606 kb to 5 kb  :D

I then selected my whole island that was 1,294 kb and saved as above it is now 89 kb ... YAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY and editing is lightening fast  :D