3DXChat Community

World Chat ... yay or nay??

PerfectStorm

The problem is, if we would try to get rid of anything that is used in a way we do not like, we would be pushed back to stone age, eat with our fingers (knives can be abused to hurt or kill someone). You will always find people who turn something strange out of a good thing. And you would let them win if you react on that by switching that off. There is possibilities to ignore, overread those things that are not relevant for us. And if some people like to fight each other in WC, let them do so, it is their fight, not mine. I am not much in WC, mainly to say hello to people being active there or for helping newbies who got lost there. As well ads are annoying, but that is the same. If someone is to active with ads, if someone argues with other people, if someone insults you, ignore him/her...you can unignore him/her later again if you like (or even not).

Whatever annoys you, it won't help to get rid of the source….someone will always find a new way to annoy you.

And just saying hello to you, PS, is already worth the existence of WC :) .

Personally I don't see anything wrong in advertising your room just as long as we don't get carried away with it.

There is nothing wrong in advertising rooms in world chat, exept this:

-One person make an advertisment in WC

-The followings 5 seconds, 3 or 4 others are also advertising theirs

-the advertising stop for hmmm... lets say 5 minutes (sometimes less because the first one want be the last to advertise so he/she does another one)

-5 minutes later then the first guy/girl advertise again the same BIIIIG anouncement

-The following 5 seconds, the 3 or 4 same others players are also using their bigest advertising immediately followed by another advertissement from the first one (and sometimes some of his/her friends copying his/her huge advertissement)

- And this cycle continue as long as their room are open.

Exept this, i have nothing against advertising. :D

Just noticing that i didn't anwser the question of this topic in my previous post.

I remember a time where there was a third "basic" tab of chat called "role playing" in 3DX. It was rarely used (at least at the times i was logging in) so one day i proposed to devs to transform it into an "advertisement" tab (friends logging in, important messages from devs, rooms events, etc...). I don't know why, instead of this it was just removed (i don't remember the reasons though). So yes we need a world chat (i think with less advertising) 

To  me World Chat is like a live notice board. 

Its great for letting everyone online know news and that a room has just opened and for sometimes finding friends.

It reaches all.

The  chat that goes on in there to me  is secondary and mostly nasty.

On the odd occasion there has been a nice chat, it soon falls into antangonism again.

Maybe the chatters think that World Chat is highjacked by the persons advertising rooms.

I actually think the reverse is true,  The chatters have highjacked World chat for their own mean ends.

I'd be real disappointed if World Chat was handed over to the Chatters, especially when they can chat in group or PM.  

Rooms should be able to advertise in World chat as much as they want. 

And of course, the chatters can carry on as they wish.

What I don’t understand is why people spend so much time complaining about these people when it takes less than a second to “ignore” the problem. I see so often people going into hours long fights then whining about how this person said this to me and they’re so mean... but the things that you say back are just as bad... I say WC yay. But for f*cks sake people utilize the iggy function. Exercise your finger with a simple click. And guess what if they come back you know what you can do? Click again.

I suppose I've looked at WC no more than two or three times since I joined. The adverts might be useful when deciding where to go, but most of that is in the rooms list. I can see that it can be useful to help newbies to find their way around. These are all good arguments in favour of keeping it as it is. The thing that put me off is the tit for tat arguments and the offensive comments. Nobody wants to read racist, sexist or minorityist comments in a game that is supposed to be fun. Or read comments by people point scoring off each other. So I don't use WC. It doesn't completely solve the problem because it is still going on and, while it doesn't affect me too much, it does create an atmosphere. People who read it might agree with those sort of sentiments and be encouraged to perpetuate them. As Rockster says, ignoring the people is only part of the story. Reporting helps too but that puts the onus on the moderators, I think they do a difficult enough job without having to wade through some of the stuff that people say in WC. It could be argued that is their job so fair game.

If WC were to be removed then there would be a need for something to replace it. Groups attached to party rooms, events, special interests might work. Just a thought.

The general issue of trolling is an Internet wide one. Every forum, intereactive game has its share. Some address the issue more effectively than others, tools to help moderation are becoming better but carry a cost. Isn't the big question with this point that the game/forum operator has to balance the costs of dealing with trolling against the benefits accrued. Whatever the game/forum operators do there will be people who say they could do more and people who say they've done too much. I think it would be foolhardy for any forum/game operator to do nothing, it comes down to finding the best balance. I am glad that is a decision I, and none of the others using the forum, have to make, it falls directly with Gizmo in this case. We, as users, have to accept that he makes the best decision to suit his business, as he sees it. What we, forum and game users, say is all useful to him to help make this decision.

This is just another one of those topics by just another ... well ya know.

There are a lot of "wrong ways" to a lot of things in life and almost all of them are subjective. What might be right for one might be for another. That includes constantly complaining and obsessing over other people's behavior and wishing it was more in line with your own wants and standards. I have news for people such as that, the WORLD literally does not revolve around you. You make think it does, or wish it did, but it does not. Other people are going to sometimes do or say things that are not in line with your tastes or beliefs. That is where acceptance comes in, sometimes the only option is to accept it and walk away. Ironically, some of those who demand acceptance the most can be the least accepting people and just constantly rant and rave over the behavior of others not falling in line with their own beliefs.

Really the only important part of any of this debate is the terms of service. it is really the shell that should not be broken and if it is it should be corrected. If someone violates the terms of service in World Chat, it is on other members to be proactive and report it. Secondly there is the ignore option, which for some reason some people just absolutely use to utilize (who's fault is that?).

Continuously creating topics such as this for debate really do little to nothing except create a sounding board for people who cannot accept reality, and just create more conflict than they are really worth.