3DXChat Community

A General Survey about Avatars in 3DXChat

XenophiliusLovegood

A General Survey about Avatars in 3DXChat  

48 members have voted

1. 1. How many avatars do you have in your account?

2. 2. What avatar genders do you use and what sex has the operator?

• 1 x Male avatar, Male operated
    • 1 x Female avatar, Male operated
    • 2 x Male avatar, Male operated
    • 1 x Male avatar, 1 x Female avatar, Male operated
    • 2 x Female avatar, Male operated
    • 3 x Male avatar, Male operated
    • 2 x Male avatar, 1 x Female avatar, Male operated
    • 1 x Male avatar, 2 x Female avatar, Male operated
    • 3 x Female avatar, Male operated
    • 1 x Male avatar, Female operated
    • 1 x Female avatar, Female operated
    • 2 x Male avatar, Female operated
    • 1 x Male avatar, 1 x Female avatar, Female operated
    • 2 x Female avatar, Female operated
    • 3 x Male avatar, Female operated
    • 2 x Male avatar, 1 x Female avatar, Female operated
    • 1 x Male avatar, 2 x Female avatar, Female operated
    • 3 x Female avatar, Female operated
  3. 3. How is the temporal use of your avatars distributed?

• I have a main avatar, using mostly. If I have additional avatars, I use them randomly.
    • I have two avatars I use mostly and one randomly.
    • I use all avatars in a similar way.
    • I would like to prefer not to answer this question.

Dear friends,

after all discussions about avatars, alternates etc. I would like to start a more general survey about the distribution of avatars per account and the gender of operation. The aim is to get an overview about:

- How many avatars people usually hold in their account?

- How is the gender distribution of avatars per account?

- What sex has the account operator?

-How is the usage of avatars? (e.g., one main avi etc.)

Edit: This survey is NOT about in which way for which purpose avatars are used! It does not matter here. I am just curious about the distribution.

Also comments or stories in this thread are welcome. But keep in mind, it is just to get a picture about avatar distribution in the game.

Best regards,

Xeno

Edited by XenophiliusLovegood

Good luck with this one, but I think I will decline to answer. There is nothing new or good to be learned by asking people to state the gender of their avatars and the gender of the operator. 

I suggest you rethink the questions, and to help you do so, I will point out a very basic problem that is related to language.

You have created this survey in English, so it is important to understand the technical difference between the English words sex and gender. Even though these two words are often used synonymously in conversation, strictly speaking they are two different things. Sex is a biological characteristic, determined predominantly by the shape of your genitals. Gender is a psychological characteristic, determined predominantly by whether you identify and behave as a male or a female. Therefore, your question, "What gender do you use and what is the gender of the operator?" is vague and cannot be answered clearly.

Please consider the following. First of all, avatars do not have a gender. They only have a sex. Second of all, if you ask "what is the gender of the operator," how is a transgender person to answer this question? Do they answer according to the gender then most strongly identify as, or do they answer according to their biological sex? I think you need to rephrase this question more carefully. Perhaps is should be phrased "What is the sex of your avatars and what is the sex of the operator?"

Also, in your explanation, you said: "This survey is NOT about in which way avatars are used!" But the third question in your survey is "How do you use your avatars?" I find your language very confusing and I think you need to reword your questions.

Also, in your explanation, you said: "This survey is NOT about in which way avatars are used!" But the third question in your survey is "How do you use your avatars?" I find your language very confusing and I think you need to reword your questions.

I changed the poll question to "How is the temporal use of your avatars distributed?" and the text to "This survey is NOT about in which way for which purpose avatars are used!" to make the difference more clear.

Edit: And by the way, it is impossible to cover all possibilities in the survey. That would make it even more complicated. And sure, the survey is on a voluntary basis. No one is forced to participated. But as Perimede already said, it's worth a try and maybe the results could give answers on questions which are not already asked.

Edited by XenophiliusLovegood

Early days yet but the results are interesting. I’d interpret the user gender question as telling us that roughly 50% of users want people to think there is a female user behind the avi. This rather flies in the face of stats discovered in a previous thread that suggested that as few as 10% of users are actually female.

Does this invalidate Xeno’s poll? I think not - both results together tell us something about the 3dx Chat user base.

As the poll develops it should tell us more. Especially if we view results alongside other data.

I think this all worth doing, alongside Ex’s suggestion and Niblette’s idea.

Waste of time and IDGAS of the fucking result at the end. Do you really think 3dx staff will consider this? oh no... okay. It's for your own purpose. Another gender debate to divide the community .It is really useful to know who play what on female/male caracters in qty ? You forgot to ask on how many multiple account we play, I played on 2 account and used 6 different caracters in the past ,so, what do you think is my problem ?

After this poll what will be next? You will ask ppl's to justified the reason why we play as roleplayer, mindfucker, or simply real?

I suggest only one thing, trust is a stuff you need to have inside yourself. Outside, you can search for it endlessly. 

Here at the forum will not be actual results. It is just a logic based on approximate statistics. For more accurate results need to do a poll inside the game.

I just want to say here, and not in reply to anything really, is that lots of little bits of data put together can add up to a pretty big picture.

In this case, all you are getting is a distorted image that might be roughly representative of the people who read the forums but fails to account for a significant segment of the people actually playing the game. First and foremost, "self-reporting" is almost always unreliable. And most important for this particular poll, there is no way to distinguish the "operator's" sexual identity beyond what they report as their biological sex.

A significant percentage of the player population here is transgender in real life. Another significant percentage is cisgender in real life but is confident enough to experiment with their sexuality on line. There is even another segment that merely gets a kick out of thinking that they have deceived someone. None of this is reflected in the polls results, and for that reason, there is no "pretty big picture" to be seen. In fact, I would have to say, if anything it is what we Americans call "not a pretty picture." :P

So we don't bother to find out about anything? /me takes the pose of 'The Thinker' (not while sitting on the loo!!!!!) and cogitates about life, the universe and everything.

If your data isn't adequate then you try to collect more data if it's that important to you ........................... how on earth do you think Amazon, Google, FB etc know so much about us. Simply by putting together lots and lots of little bits of data.

What is Xeno trying to find out here? SImply to get a sense of how many avi's people use and a sense of how people play. I think it is delivering that with certain provisos. As I say, on the gender thing the result is more about how people want to be percieved than the actual binary gender of the user.

I suggest that the relatively high proportion of TG avis reflects people, mostly men, as being sexual opportunists rather than TG or in the process. Given the hurdles people have to go through to transition I suspect many have worked hard to come to terms with the whole thing. That does not deny that 3dx Chat provides a real opportunity for people with that in mind to explore - and they should be welcomed. I'd cite the relatively small proportion of outwardly gay men in game in support of this view, oh and the relatively high proportion of lesbians (mostly men being sexual opportunists).

Looking at the results so far we see that - 14 people do not play with all three avis as against 8 who do. 17 people out of a total of 22 votes play mostly with only one avi. Doesn't that explain why so many people are concerned about the way alts are used? It certainly suggests that Xeno's suggestion about tagging alts has merit, that there might actually be a need for something like Ex's suggestion and it explains why Pandora was created and survives (with only a small intellectual leap).

So the poll is telling us something if we want to look at it - and it does explain a few things.

First a big thanks to Perimede for your support!

I do not understand the excitement in some posts and I will not comment or rate anything that has been said. You are free to express your opinion.

Again: No one has to participate in this survey!!  It's all on a voluntary basis! And the purpose of this survey is not to change anything in the game either. This survey is not intended to do so. It's just about getting a picture about the answers related to  the questions I've asked.

Of course, this is not representative for the game for the given reasons, but gives an impression. And .. it is not possible to consider every sex / gender constellation. To make it easy, avatars and players are only distinguished between female and male. I already said that in my second post.

In conclusion, I will not send any further comments here. Join the survey or just leave it.

Regards
Xeno

OMG! I've just found this from an article about how to tell people are lying https://www.inc.com/bill-murphy-jr/how-to-tell-if-someone-is-lying-10-tells-and-clues.html:-

5. A desire to shut everything down

They don't want to talk, or they want to move the conversation along quickly to another subject. Is that because you're that boring a conversationalist--or perhaps they're eager to move out of the zone of deception into a safer space?

Again, this isn't a foolproof tell, but it's another piece of evidence to consider as you weigh the likelihood that you're being told something untruthful.

It just seems apposite to me. I was actually looking for a way of asking questions to catch a liar out in one or two questions but coudn't find it. I originally found it in a book I read once, but can't remember the title or author.

Who's telling who how to play? All I'm saying, and a few others too, is that some people go out of their way to cause trouble in game and it makes sense to try to make things a bit more difficult for them. The behaviours I don't like are basically those that would get you locked up, certainly rather marginalised, in rl society. So why do some people really, really want to avoid being restricted in doing these things in 3dx Chat?

I'm not alone in thinking that some, normally rather dodgey, goings on have become normalised in 3dx Chat and the suggestion that normal rl standards could apply in game is a serious threat. Certainly that's the way I'm coming to read the arguments.

I've said so many times here on the forums that if you wouldn't do something rl it's probably not a good idea to do it in game. Is that really too much to ask of people?

Damn I seem to be getting into the habit of double posts. I really must get myself better organised.

So looking again at the results so far - roughly 75% of users play mostly as one avi. Does this not mean that the vast majority of users use their avis for purposes other than playing the game. That reinfrces the idea that a minority of users, not a majority as has been suggested in one of the other related threads, require their avis to be able to play as they want to. Some of that 25% minority will be the people who cause trouble.

How many of that 25% will leave the game if effective action is taken against the trouble makers. I suggest it would be surprisingly few as they, being sensible people, will see the point.

Looking at the results so far we see that - 14 people do not play with all three avis as against 8 who do. 17 people out of a total of 22 votes play mostly with only one avi. Doesn't that explain why so many people are concerned about the way alts are used? It certainly suggests that Xeno's suggestion about tagging alts has merit, that there might actually be a need for something like Ex's suggestion and it explains why Pandora was created and survives (with only a small intellectual leap).

So the poll is telling us something if we want to look at it - and it does explain a few things.

This poll is not not showing any true data other than what people clicked.

Pandora shows that in the last 10 days... 67% of all logins were from alts. Which means that only 30% of all 3dx users did not log onto an alt in the last 10 days.

I don't use Pandora but that's just what I was told :)

This poll doesn't really have any useful info and it's mostly non-representivie of the actual statistics.

What does Pandora mean when it says that 67% of all logins are from alts? 

Imagine the following:

Player makes his first character with some random name and logs in with it.  (Pandora sees this as the "primary".)

Player doesn't like the name he chose, and waits until he has 10,000 xGold, then makes a second character with a better name.  (Pandora sees this as an "alt".)

Player never signs in with his first character again, but signs in with his second character every night.

Am I right that Pandora will treat this as the player using his "alt"?

Tlaera

btw, if you ever want to watch someones head explode who uses it, delete one of your alts, have a friend add that exact name right after. then have them delete it and add it back to yours. That persons alts will be forever tied to your name. its awesome.

It shouldnt. Alt names are only tied by a unique account id. That's the only way it can know which alts are yours. Multiple people could have alts of the same name but each account has its own unique id so the alts will always only be associated with whatever account they were created on.

What does Pandora mean when it says that 67% of all logins are from alts? 

Imagine the following:

Player makes his first character with some random name and logs in with it.  (Pandora sees this as the "primary".)

Player doesn't like the name he chose, and waits until he has 10,000 xGold, then makes a second character with a better name.  (Pandora sees this as an "alt".)

Player never signs in with his first character again, but signs in with his second character every night.

Am I right that Pandora will treat this as the player using his "alt"?

Tlaera

Your scenario is correct.

it did mine. I quite a few months ago, deleted my avi RobT. Someone took the name and then released it. I had tox hang on to iot for me until i came back so someone else wouldn't use it. now if you go to her creating alts, robt is listed as an alt of them but deleted

Yes it remembers deleted alts. But none of her avis would ever be tied to any of your alts. However.. if someone did a search for "RobT", it would show 2 different account had had an avi with that name. But they would remain separated between the 2 profiles. Like none of your info would ever show up on her RobT avi.

Vast majority.  So way higher than 50%.  But lower than 67%, of course.  So, what are we talking about?  66%?  65%?  Does Pandora give this data or are you getting it from another source?  

If my scenario above is correct, then it seems like we shouldn't be drawing any conclusions from the Pandora data that 67% of all logins are from alts.

Tlaera

That is saying that out of 100 character logins... 67 of them were considered alts. That's pretty significant.