3DXChat Community

Too much resources needed

Alieth

This game takes too much from a computer and it doesn't even need it , it needs to be optimized.

In a room with more then 30 people starts to lag depending on where are you looking, you can pass from 60 fps to 10 in a second and i don't even tell how much it's laggy in a room full of 60 or more.

I don't need to post any of my specs because i got this game installed on an High-end, Mid-end and low-end personal computers and one of them is a laptop and it's simply ridicolous that in everyone runs like this.

I know that more posts about this issue had been ignored and never being considered but i hope in the future updates it will.

Thanks for reading

You pretty much said it yourself, nothing will probably happen but we can still hope. from my experience it has varied from update to update how much they bother with optimization, for example... before the world editor update the game ran pretty well on all my machines but ever since that update came out, its honestly been hard to load up bigger rooms on high settings, you could argue its simply cause of the bigger rooms that the world editor has enabled, and in a way thats true, but before that you still had huge rooms with tons of lights and they were just fine at the time, plus ontop of that you can easily get lag in a busy sin club if you go there when its crowded.

So yeah we just gotta hope the next bigger update has some focus on making the game run well, personally i hope they take some load off the cpu as thats that seems to take the big hit when you have a lot of people in one place, while the gpu barely has any.

I have to agree. Even world editor can get pretty hard to handle, like when you try to focus on a specific part off your map and when you zoom in or zoom out you end far far away from when you intended to go because of some lag.

(I work with an i7HQ, GTX1060 and 32Go of DDR4 so i don't think my computer is the issue).

A few improvement ideas :

- Possibility to exclude objects from light calculation, as i think that most lag have to do with how lights and emission is calculated (a room without light run pretty well, even with a lot of objects).

- "buffering". I'm not sure it's the right word but well, if you look at game like Skyrim, there is only one huge map, the game doesn't load everything at once but only handle objects around the player. I don't know how it works with 3dx but i imagine that the room thing was originally planned to make small room like house, not a whole city for example. Maybe restricting the objects loaded to whatever is around the player (might be a setting to restrict it or expand it) could be a great performance improvements. I honestly don't know what it involves in term of development. Not that simple i guess.

- Maybe having possibility to reduce the game screen size, right now even windowed mode doesn't let you do it.

- Maybe some cache can be easily added to reduce the number of calculations ?

/me smiles

A 64 bits version won't help. You already have many apps that still run in 32 bits, all apps in program x86. It is a problem of coding (server side) and computer architecture on the other side. The game is smooth with my old laptop 2011 (64 bits one of the first) and old wifi drivers but graphisms are awfeul because of its chipset (GT330). 

Few lag with my other computer even in crowded rooms but it randomly freezes. it has 8 cores, 16M0 and a GTX1050. 

All a 64bit version would really do is enable the game to use more memory without paging it.  A better solution would be to fix the massive memory leak in the game.  You can see the leak in task manager.  Just check the memory usage when you start the game, and then spend a few hours in sin club.  The memory usage will gradually rise and never fall.  This is not to say that memory leaks are easy to fix, just that fixing this one will have a better impact on people's memory issues than releasing a 64bit version will.

GottaGo, in settings you can set the resolution of the game.  The resolution is what matters for graphical performance.  Screen size is implied by resolution.  

You can also change the lighting and shadow characteristics in the settings.  You can definitely vary the effect that the lighting has on characters and objects.  

Tlaera

I will admit that Im a computer moron.. all those numbers up there are just jibberish to me.  But I would certainly love it if I didnt lag out so often in crowded rooms..  That said.. I live in the middle of nowhere.. I have no real internet available to me.. I use my phone as a hot spot to get online.  There isnt another game that I can even log into since moving here.  RLC and SL take so much whatever that I cant even load in.  So Im thankful for this place.. and as much as ppl want pose editors n such.. Im in the minority hoping that too much of that doesnt happen.  Or I might be outta luck here too.  

I think it's an actual problem of the Unity engine, it's tricky to master it but they didn't even give a thought about it so we are stuck with this bugs, i don't even get why they took so much to update it's not like people are not paying to play this game.

/me smiles

A 64 bits version won't help. You already have many apps that still run in 32 bits, all apps in program x86. It is a problem of coding (server side) and computer architecture on the other side. The game is smooth with my old laptop 2011 (64 bits one of the first) and old wifi drivers but graphisms are awfeul because of its chipset (GT330). 

Few lag with my other computer even in crowded rooms but it randomly freezes. it has 8 cores, 16M0 and a GTX1050. 

64-bit will help because that will allow more than 4gb of memory to be used, also 64-bit is much more efficient when it comes to cache, cpu processing, paging, addressing, etc. Basically 64-bit will allow us to use the computers we have instead of hardware being ignored because of the 32-bit limitations. It would make a big difference. Alex had a 64-bit version of an old release of 3dx and it was fantastic.   

Before running for hours with the memory leak, 3dxchat uses around 500M of RAM (I just checked).  A 32bit app on Windows can access 4 times that.  (2G, not 4.  The OS reserves the top bit.)  So, until the game starts using considerably more RAM, a 64 bit version of the program won't be the magic bullet that you're hoping it will be.

Tlaera

More I doubt the 64 bit version will help with a FPS as low as 7 or 8 - Enter of the beach or of the sin. In a non crowded room, you may have only 15 fps. I am checking the reason. I gave a try to Alex 64 bit version. I didn't notice any improvement. 

There really isn't anything to speculate on. We did have a 64bit exe for some time that was made by a community member. Try to convince anyone that used it that 64bit will not make a difference. Because it made a very noticeable difference, especially if you have the extra hardware.

This game takes too much from a computer and it doesn't even need it , it needs to be optimized.

In a room with more then 30 people starts to lag depending on where are you looking, you can pass from 60 fps to 10 in a second and i don't even tell how much it's laggy in a room full of 60 or more.

I don't need to post any of my specs because i got this game installed on an High-end, Mid-end and low-end personal computers and one of them is a laptop and it's simply ridicolous that in everyone runs like this.

I know that more posts about this issue had been ignored and never being considered but i hope in the future updates it will.

Thanks for reading

The lighting, layer amount, material and space, there are many things that factor in for lag. Even the general area rooms lag if they could get crowded enough, but Achilles is not into DJing or organizing DJ parties so chances of the i had when he did a party are very low. The introduction of the "new" beach lagged really bad, thank fully some used the Rochi DLL and opened copy beaches to let people enjoy the new room without lag. Current room record or most people in a room is held by Tanya, 230 i think it was.. The room did not lag too bad for me due to the spacing, i been to other rooms that lagged. Room builders should check and see if the room will work how they want, not just layer on the details..

The lighting, layer amount, material and space, there are many things that factor in for lag. Even the general area rooms lag if they could get crowded enough, but Achilles is not into DJing or organizing DJ parties so chances of the i had when he did a party are very low. The introduction of the "new" beach lagged really bad, thank fully some used the Rochi DLL and opened copy beaches to let people enjoy the new room without lag. Current room record or most people in a room is held by Tanya, 230 i think it was.. The room did not lag too bad for me due to the spacing, i been to other rooms that lagged. Room builders should check and see if the room will work how they want, not just layer on the details..

I think most people make rooms that are just way too large. You can use your avi as a general measurement to see how things scale. I know this isn't the only issue but it is 1 issue.

large rooms is good for performance as it allows to ppl to spread so ur cpu n gpu dont have to render everything 

just imagine u have a room  4x4 n has 50 ppl  thats bad cause ur screen sees all n results ur hardware to render n calculate everything but in a way bigger room this problem is solved .

So bigger room is better generaly  then depends the details the filesize 

filesize has direct impact on how fast the room will load add to that the ppl that are inside n their movements etc .

3dx is a graphical nice game there is no reason play this game lower than extreme cause u loose all the beauty of the game thus i never do many details in my rooms so i always be on extreme .

these settings is a must to enjoy game 

settings.png

ps always try to find ways to maybe get better graphics not worst 

If i put all the options you ticked, my computer will burn :D

i have i7 6700 k n gtx 1070 strix 8 gb so its ok for me .thing is if u play on low graphics looks so bad .

if i was sure i wanna play this game for long time i would invest in a good pc to play it n enjoy all aspects (graphic wise)

• 2 weeks later...

large rooms is good for performance as it allows to ppl to spread so ur cpu n gpu dont have to render everything 

just imagine u have a room  4x4 n has 50 ppl  thats bad cause ur screen sees all n results ur hardware to render n calculate everything but in a way bigger room this problem is solved .

So bigger room is better generaly  then depends the details the filesize 

filesize has direct impact on how fast the room will load add to that the ppl that are inside n their movements etc .

3dx is a graphical nice game there is no reason play this game lower than extreme cause u loose all the beauty of the game thus i never do many details in my rooms so i always be on extreme .

these settings is a must to enjoy game 

settings.png

ps always try to find ways to maybe get better graphics not worst 

no, drawcalls get increased alot, second biggest performance impact is always the amount of light sources because its no deffered renderer. third biggest is objects with opacity.

A music stream doesn't affect performance in any way. I'm not too sure why anyone would think this. Unless you have a 15 year old pc... listening to an audio stream will not affect performance in any noticeable way.

I have made the experience in 2, with one of these heavy rooms. It was laggy, I turned off the music no more lag....You turn off the music and the memory leak is less important. Now Streams use brandwidth. If you received data slowly, your computer should use more resources.... Of course there are different qualities of stream, (not the content). And when you use hi quality soundn it does not help with the lag and the use of ressource.