3DXChat Community

Should avatars belonging to an account have a common parent nickname?

XenophiliusLovegood

Alternate Avatars  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Should avatars belonging to an account have a common parent nickname?

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't matter

Dear friends,

thanks for all the opinions and the input you made.. I see the pros and contras ..

Extracting the essential information, it says:

Alts give more freedom, you can be alone using an alt.. because your friends cannot see you online, ideal for role-play .. or using for family play ..

on the other bad side is...

Alts are misused by players to cheat or to play false with friends mainly to manipulate them to influence their opinion about the other alt... This mainly leads to mistrust between players.

So the question is how to remove the bad side, without loosing the good characteristics...?

Thanks for all and hoping of finding a solution..

Regards,

Xeno

Nice synopsis, Xeno.

This wouldn't fully solve the issue, but it might help. 

What if you could see that someone is an alt if you are friends with both "versions" of her?  If you're friends with just one, you don't get any extra info about the alt.  But if you become friends with the alt too, some sort of indication shows that the two people are linked.

Benefits:

1) If you have a character that you play when you want to be alone, you just don't make that character friends with anyone, and you're fine.

2) If you want to roleplay but are open about being an alt, this has no negative effect on you.

3) If someone is trying to lie to you to get close, they can't get TOO close, because if they become "friends" you'll know that they're the other person who claimed to be your friend.

Downsides:

1) It only solves one facet of the griefer problem (people lying about being your friend).  It doesn't solve the situation where you have a "friend," and she creates an alt to antagonize you.  

Tlaera

@Tlaera

Well, I think that is a first approach to ease it. It wouldn't influence the good sides of alts but impedes the bad side. It solves some problems.

Some of my friends are on the friendship lists of some or all my alts. I informed those friends in advance, that the other character is also me. Other friends are only in one friendship list exclusively. I don't want to inform them, just because I do not want to get in touch with them with the relevant alt.

For example I use one alt for the people of my country and one for the international community. With each of them I do not approach the other community .. the international does not enter the community of my country (mainly shared rooms) and the other is only visiting the community of my country.

Only a few friends know about the connection between both alternates. I am very careful to use both of them appropriately not to harm any player.

Thanks for the ideas, Tlaera

Xeno

• 2 weeks later...

It always been. Nothing new. Role-players acting in pm mostly. Someone who silent, just dont know english language and afraid of idiots/trolls who judging them for native language in wc without reason.

Or they don't know what they need to do, just starting the game. etc. anyway parent nickname is unwanted thing. So, "smile and wave".

No doubt!  You go into the room expecting them to be playing episodes of Dr. Who, or Sherlock, or even Doughton Abbey and all you find are a bunch of naked dudes...

Tlaera

When I was in game. You'll be sure I always be there to clean your mind HAaargHAaaahhahaHAaargaha!!!

post-5159-0-21001100-1503330860_thumb.jpgpost-5159-0-23329500-1446546377_thumb.jpgpost-5159-0-34856300-1442050556_thumb.jpgpost-5159-0-69398100-1440757911_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all,

about two months ago I started this topic. A lot of interesting posts were sent... and I as I can see it although the topic was if Alts should be marked in some way to be recognized the main message sifting out is "How can trust between players be restored?"

Distrust kills everything, the fun and chase players out of the game. And it's a big problem for newbies ..(thanks to Twiggy) to find new friends.. because the first thought is .. it's an alt of an existing player.

In conclusion, the approach should be to find any tools which bring trust back into the game and kick those players out of the game who are not willing to obey this most important principle Edit: (= trust).

iRe9rsu.gif

..and by the way ... sometimes I am really all out of bubble gum.

Thanks for your posts,

Xeno

Edited by XenophiliusLovegood

In conclusion, the approach should be to find any tools which bring trust back into the game and kick those players out of the game who are not willing to obey this most important principle.

what principle do you mean ?

In conclusion, the approach should be to find any tools which bring trust back into the game and kick those players out of the game who are not willing to obey this most important principle.

Not to rain on your parade, but did you happen to notice that your own poll indicates the 3DX community in general is against this so-called "important principle" by a margin of more that 3 to 1?  I think your conclusion would be more convincing if it had at least acknowledged that particular point and made some attempt to reconcile that fact with your own ideas.  

In any case, my conclusion is that the tools needed to bring trust back into the game do not include some arbitrary means of identifying accounts but rather the patience not to automatically trust someone just because they are friendly. I consider it rather important to give people the opportunity to prove themselves trustworthy and to avoid getting too close to them if they fail to do so. I also try to always bear in mind that not everyone is here for the same thing and not everyone plays the game the same way. Which is why I consider it necessary to be very careful in making sure that any new friend is looking for the same thing I am when starting a new relationship on 3DX.

@ Sage Stoner

I must disagree here and I think you got me wrong in my last post:

The topic of the poll was “Should avatars belonging to an account have a common parent nickname?”. It turned out that this it not the best tool to stop misuse by cheating, lying, sowing distrust. The positive aspects an alternate character has would be lost by using a common parent name. The negative aspects could not be turned down completely. I agree, that a parent name is not the solution.

But “trust” is still a very important principle and the poll said nothing about that it’s not. I have edited the post and added what I mean with "important principle" .

Regards,

Xeno

The topic of the poll was “Should avatars belonging to an account have a common parent nickname?”. It turned out that this it not the best tool to stop misuse by cheating, lying, sowing distrust. 

Right. That is the part that you left out of your "conclusion." Thank you for clarifying what you meant, because if I misunderstood you, then maybe lots of other people misunderstood you, too.

When I first read this I really didn't have a good idea what the original poster meant with a family name, and it sounded kind of weird, and like incest. But I was talked into trying black desert, and I think that I see how it would work now if its like how it is in that game it might not be a bad idea. Basically how it works there is there is an account name that all your alts share, and below that is your character name.

@Niblette

Yes, that was the original I had. All alts have the same ID number for one account .. this is how "Pandora" gets all Alts belonging to one account. If there would be an account nickname which all Alts share in addition with their character name, everybody could make the connections without using the "Pandora" system.

The disadvantages of this system were also already discussed above in this topic thread.

Regards,

Xeno

When I first read this I really didn't have a good idea what the original poster meant with a family name, and it sounded kind of weird, and like incest. But I was talked into trying black desert, and I think that I see how it would work now if its like how it is in that game it might not be a bad idea. Basically how it works there is there is an account name that all your alts share, and below that is your character name.

If you will find a way to having sex in the Black Desert... or you will find a way to PvP, guild content and many Korean stuff here in 3dxchat...today its worst idea i ever seen for 3dx. in 3dx ppl have something close, adult,naughty. Some privacy is ok for this sort of games.

MMORPG`s is different and has a different entertainment. In PvP mmorpg where most important guild pvp content like a BDO,  your account like a one character in 3dx,different characters in BDO like a different clothes,colors or just a style you can create in a room for customization. In BDO you have many characters and all of your characters automaticaly will come to guild as a family, but most of your characters will be for craft, for fast gear , for getting money and so on. In this sort of mmorpg just without sense to hide your alts or use your alts in a bad way, you just can`t bother people around with bad behavior like in 3dx. Those games both are mmorpg but much different. Getting a bad comment to your side after pvp is ok and no one care about it, no one have a paranoya or same problems as here.

Bad one always will find a way to annoy people around without alts or with them. Thats why ignore/report button is the only solution between two sides today on my opinion. Every side think that their problem most important. It always was.

If is there so many ppl's leaving that game for this reason, tell me why dev's still allowing us the use of 3 avi's slot in that case? Now start a petition to ask for is removal to just allow the use of only 1 caracter showing real identity linked to personal email address and/or skype, this will resolve the paranoia problem many having against those who roleplaying and doesn't fucking care about real life met in a game.

I think alts as they are now is kind of the worst of both they provide no actual privacy, and enough secrecy for them to be useful to harass people. If there was an account wide name which was visible then there also would be no reason not to allow more then three alts or require people to pay for new ones. It also addresses most of the concerns about allowing name, and gender changing. It should be possible to get the same limited degree of privacy alts provides other ways. For example adding a character ignore function, so you don't run into someone you know, or other ways as Rockster said. This way alts would also not be treated differently, and since each alt would still have its own friends list even without any added privacy features they would still provide a degree of anonymity. Personally it doesn't matter to me I don't' see how someone using an alt can cause me any type of long term bother, and unless someone is using the alt to bother people I still think its really not anyone else's concern.

Not the popular opinion, but yea, just go ahead and do it, add one @handle to an account and it will deal with all the game players who keep coming up with new alts to get around past rejections or their own bad behaviour and have made half the decent players paranoid and unwilling to add people as friends for fear of who the fuck they are. They can still create new accounts, but nothing is perfect and they will fuck up again on the new account and people won't have to spend unnecessary time working out who all the new alts are on the new account because they will have a one strike policy using the one @handle.

I know it seems like a bad idea for those who play fair and like the anonymity, but the way I see it, you balance it out, you have much more benefit from dealing with the bad elements in one go this way, than the down-side of people losing their privacy. The first issue is much bigger than the second, the damage it has done to people's gameplay and the knock-on effect on how people relate to new people cannot be underestimated. It has been an issue for ages and no-one and nothing has been able to deal with it and this would almost work. It has been proven in the past that no-one ever really gets banned truly, so saying they should be removed is a nice idea but not going to happen. The idea of marking a profile with something to show it is an alt sounds good on the surface, but what about people for whom an alt turns into their main and they discard their old main, how would that work. Plus there really should be nothing in the system to mark one avi over others as the main character, they are all interchangeable in importance to the player and can switch priorities over time and was how the game was designed. If it is based purely on the first-created, many people delete that avi and move to new ones as they play longer, so I see this as unworkable.

I play other MMORPGS where it is common to have an @handle for all characters on that account and it never causes any issues, no matter what character you are playing, no-one on your friends list really cares what you are playing, and if they pvt'd u in 3DX and u wanted to be left alone to do ur own thing you could just tell them and they should be fine with it if they have a brain. Even though people will see you and know it's you if you are out and about, you could even have a "do not accept pvt messages from friends" option to select with a nice automatic "sorry I am busy right now" response (or they have in RLC where you can write what you like in it and when someone pvt's u, it goes into chat automatically) and that would take care of the people who want to use alt avis to have some space and not have to chat. On the aforementioned MMORPGS you can set different characters to different privacys as well, so depending on which one you are on, people can or cannot see you on their friends lists, from publicly listed and on all lists and searchable, to only friends seeing you are online, to totally invisible to all. You set the privacy when logged in to each different character. I know it is not totally applicable in 3DX where the public spaces are much smaller and you are likely seen and recognized by people you know, but I'm just illustrating that there are many ways to deal with privacy going on all over the place in other VR games and some of those could be adopted in 3DX so you could have an @handle, be recognized, but still deal nicely with people you know not bothering you when playing a role. The problem of people using alts to mislead is a real one and a long-standing one and a big one. It has created many paranoid people and in my mind is the worst thing about 3DX, so I reckon fixing this outweighs the concerns about privacy, because that can be dealt with in other ways, but the being misled thing is something which has not has any fix so far.

Rockster@justdoit

After reading this I am going back to agreeing there should be an account name listed on every avi, meaning all avis on an account should show the account id or something to show who they belong to.

I was thinking of the idea of just having the main avi shown as being our main avi as a compromise to the people who want nothing to change as certain privacies are still there using that method, but as Rockster pointed out it could be hard to implement that way and still leaves things open to be manipulated.

Rockster I love ya, all I have been trying to do is get people to really think of the problem, how bad it actually is and have a serious go at working out a solution.

I can see you have put a lot of thought into this, ty :)

Big huggz