3DXChat Community

Should avatars belonging to an account have a common parent nickname?

XenophiliusLovegood

Alternate Avatars  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Should avatars belonging to an account have a common parent nickname?

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't matter

Hi everybody,

I am aware of the problem with alternate avatars. As you know you can have three different avatars in one account. Many players use them fairly. But it is also no secret, that there are several possibilities to misuse this tool .. which mostly reduces trust between the players (like e.g., cheating, or using Pandora to find out the alts of an account).

My idea here would be to set an overall parent account nickname, which is shown in the avatars profile, so that the connections between players is apparent for everyone.

I would like to open this idea as a topic for discussion and polling.

Best regards,

Xeno

i think its difficult, cause on one side everyone can see it then, tha could destroy the phantasies of the player, Its isnt family play for everyone, like in my place, If it is family rp, it is no problem to to share a common nickname, But if you play totaly different roles, it can be a problem,

On the other hand, it would be the next step forward to be a serious, honest game,But want 3dxchat to be that`? Many users are here to live up there dark phantasies, so they want total different , independent roles,/avas

I do family play so it wouldnt disturb me, so i think yes for me.But i have take no, cause of the rp positbilities for ech member here. its realy difficult

kisses, Seli, yen and amy

If that happens think you could wave goodbye to half the casual sex going on now, think part reason some doing as they do exploring fantasies getting little crazier than they otherwise might do in RL is partly I think due to the anonymity. Take that away think some above go away with it and atmosphere at least for some will become much more serious, wouldn't surprise if it happened to cause some to leave too.

If you had overall front @nickname like some mmo does typically mmorpg online games, then anything you do just to fool around try different stuff will come back to haunt you. Guys will be constantly booty calling you just because you got little crazy in orgy room or whatever one or twice, think will also result on ignore being used more frequently  if being total slut once or twice will potentially make most guys just treat like peace of meat.

This of cause just mostly just speculations an personal opinion on the matter but think adding nickname in front your avatars, will only serve tight up about things they do here if it's out there for anyone to see.

Plus would remove options of having any peace less your offline, think some likely have alts specifically to build with so they can be uninterrupted while doing so since we have not busy or do not disturb tags.

See of cause how things can be negatively used too with multiple alts but creation fee for avatars along with ignore should suffice to deal with that already. Plus you may add another negative side Nickname in front avatars might do is making it much more possible to stalk accounts around for anyone who wish to do so.

Finally those who really want to abuse using multiple characters would just get two or more accounts, don't see how this in anyway going to prevent that.

Although I agree with a lot of what Kimmy has said there are certain points she mentioned I think not entirely correct.

One being if you have an alt to build rooms with it will make no difference unless you have built up a friends list on that alt, and I think most who do that don't.

It would however effect if you use an alt for privacy, like just wanting to be with someone and not have it known it is you, I use to do that with my bf, we both had alts we used just so we could be alone at say love island.

There are positives and negatives for this and I think going that far is not needed.

The worst thing that comes from miss use of alts is the distrust it causes, besides the drama that is often created.

Both of which can be really reduced in other ways.

This has been talked about a lot in these forums over the years and I personally think the best idea put forward was to have peoples main avis known.

That can be done by the devs simply applying a mark in our profiles to show which is our main avi.

A certain amount of trust can then be given to main avis as people would want to keep its reputation in tact.

Also when someone approaches you with an alt it would be known, so a lot of the things where alts are miss used will become hard to do.

People would still be able to use alts to do things they wouldn't want people to know about, for example as Kimmy said, be a slut, go to orgies and such.

But this way people would not know who that alt is tied to, so the privacy would still be there.

Yes people would not give alts the same considerations as the main avis, but isn't that the way it should be.

There is a up and down side to this.  While alts can be used for various reasons that we all know can be both positive and negative.  If you choose to move on from your avatar but want to keep the name so it's not done up by someone else out of spite and make a new avatar to start over people would know it's them and therefore wouldn't allow them to start new.  I had deleted my avatar MarMohan and created a new one called KathrynMerteuil  I ended up doing MarMohan again so no one would take the name and use it.  At the time MarMohan was my main avatar but then I switched, only some knew who I was that I talked to, so it was for me a break from what happened and just a breather.  When coming back to the game I came back on MarMohan and have been on her since.  I have gone on KathrynMerteuil to see if anyone I know that when I deleted Mar was on to catch them and add them back on Mar.  I also had a Build avatar KallistaEris which I use to build without getting a ton of PMs.  My avatars are listed in my profile I don't rp other things so I don't have to worry about having one for anything else like that for a different role.

With the other side of making an alt to go after someone because they won't do it on the main avatar that is where the issue is and it's not that easy to do something about without going against the User's privacy as a paying customer.  While it may not be agreed with and yes there have a lot of issues on both ends.  A clear head is best when coming making a decision. 

The only issue with doing that is people change main avatars so not always will the main be the same also it can be deleted at any point in time. 

It shouldn’t really matter too much what alts people have as long as they are honest about it. Like role players will use alts for different roles they play. Those of us who don’t or can’t role play may use them to try stuff out, maybe to rediscover how crap they are at role play. I created an alt, Pandora, to try out different looks and to try changing my room round without messing up Ciera. Pandora does occasionally venture out but my friends know she’s me. This fits in with my way of doing things. Ciera in game is as near me as is possible with the compromises when making avis.

I think the issue is that some people use alts, like they do Pandora (I do like the idea that the web-site has the same name as my alt, who came first), to dig up dirt about people and to try to use that information against them. Some people use alts so they can play out when they have an in game relationship going on. That, to my mind, is as bad as playing out in rl. It destroys any trust In the relationship.

Alts, like Pandora, aren’t a bad thing per se, it’s the use people make of them that causes a problem.

So I suppose i’m undecided on this issue but lean towards both it not mattering and alts being flagged up as related to the main avi.

It sounds like a great idea but only for those who chose to do it. Fact is people do not have to prove who they are, real women can play male avi and the reverse order just because they feel like it or because they feel it is who they are. The thing that gets abuse is usually by people hiding who they are, why I don't know nor do I care. I chose to let people know my alts if they ask, but it is my choice. Besides the drama will occur anyways, a person with multiple accounts claimed he was holding the accounts for friends and something about ballerinas in the desert, I don't know I lost interest by that time. He got caught by the Pandora program a person claiming to be real, I am me, my avi does not look too much like me because I am lazy.  :P  :D  :ph34r:

Ballerinas in the desert huh..............

/me shouts over to waiting staff and points to Rob..."I'll have what he's having!" 

If I told you who it was, you would laugh your ass off. But he really did come up with that excuse in trying to cover up his alt account's history. It kind of included marrying himself. 

I am not convinced everyone deserves to know everyone else's alts, or that that would reduce drama. I think the some people should know, however so maybe a second level of friend that reveals alts would be useful, so that way people know where they stand.

That could be an idea.

I once suggested we have 2 levels on our friends list, "Friends" and something like "Acquaintance".

With friends, we show up as online on their friends list, but with acquaintances we don't.

This is so we can include people we are getting to know on our own lists but be able to avoid problems like clingers and stalkers by us not showing as online on theirs.

At the moment I take some time to make sure of a person before I place them on my friends list, but having an acquaintance list would allow us to add them and be able to see when they are on if they have us listed as a friend.

This could work with that, have it so if a person is on your list as a friend, then you also get to see that persons alts.

Twiggy, that's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it really works.

Currently I see two benefits to the "friends" list.  

1) You can see if your friends are online.

2) When they're not online, you can still find them and look at their profiles, etc.

(Are there other benefits I'm not remembering?)

You described a situation where someone is on your acquaintance list but he has you on his friends list.  I don't think that will last long.  He'll know, because he'll see you in a public space and his list will show you as offline.  That will cause him to either drop you to acquaintance on his own list or pressure you to make him a friend. 

If I'm right that the "imbalanced" situation is unstable, then, we're really left with benefit #2 being the only reason to have the "acquaintance" level.  I'm not sure it's worth the development costs for that level of benefit.

Similarly, some people have advocated having what amounts to a "superfriend" list, that is like friends but that shows you their alts.  That feels like it would cause socially awkward situations.  In the US, we have this concept of "Pleading the 5th" in court which means that you don't have to answer a question if it may incriminate yourself.  Legally, you can't be found guilty for pleading the 5th, but when you do it, everyone ASSUMES you're guilty.  It feels like if I asked someone to be my "superfriend" (easy for me, I have no alts) and they declined, I'd assume they're guilty of using an alt to grief me.  What if they have an actual good reason to not tell me their alts names, though?

And then there's the fact that people can always make a new account and start over.  If they're paying monthly, it's not even cost prohibitive to do so. 

It feels like any system intended to block griefers and drama-producers will fail because of the "new account" solution for the griefer, but will cause other pain for legitimate users.

Tlaera

I think that the "super friends" list would have to be mutual like getting married you would both have to accept, if someone doesn't want to then that means they are not really as close to you as you though. Honestly if they are actually a close friend to you there really is no reason to hide an alt expectantly now with Pandora. I think it would definitely reduce drama.

Niblette, I'm not saying you're wrong.  I'm just discussing the possibilities.  

I don't have any alts, so there would be no "cost" to me for using "super friends."  Why wouldn't I just require that anyone who wants to be my friend be a "super friend"?  And, why wouldn't I assume that anyone who says "no" is trying to hide something from me and are thus not someone I want as a "friend"?  Wouldn't that result in most people just replacing their "friends" list with a "super friends" list?  Is there a reason to have a distinction between "friends" and "super friends"?  If not, why not just make all friends show alts?  Development cost-wise, that would be much cheaper and easier to implement.

This WOULD stop the kind of griefer who goes back and forth between pretending to be your friend and griefing you.  But, because they can cancel and start another account, it won't stop the kind of person who plays your friend for a while then stabs you in the back and starts over with a new alt.  I have seen the latter kind of griefer a few times, but I haven't seen the former very much.  On the other hand, I have seen victims of that latter type "get away" from the grief by starting an alt and playing that instead.  If the victim is on a yearly sub because she intends to play for a long time, but the griefer is on a monthly because he enjoys hurting people, then he's able to avoid these mechanisms while she is not.  

It would be unfortunate if an unintended consequence of our suggestions is that the victims are hurt more than their abusers.  That's why I'm cautious about these ideas.

Tlaera

Here we Go again!!!! ..lol...did we not cover this topic a year or two ago..When they got rid of having 3 different characters free without having to pay 10 grande in xcoins. YEP!! My opinion is still the same, for those who sometimes just want to be spontanious,random fun, without everyone pming you, or just feeling like doing wtvr under the radar your alt is a relief..I think If having an alt disappeared, I am sure a huge chunk of players, especially Role players who use thier alts for some of thier role playing may feel like taking the exit..I think having an ability to have more then one character, is an awesome bonus feature, for when you just want to have fun, without the noise of answering obligations from pms, friends,and other social interactions that may deflect from the fantasy or freedom one maybe ebjoying bieng aynonomous..

There are a lot of other reasons other than people who look to gain your friendship again using an alt.

For example people use alts to manipulate, I have had people use a male alt who had friended me convince me that his female alt was a real female.

I have had others build up their male avis using a female alt.

Also people create alts just to give someone a hard time and even though they end up on iggy they still continue to do so by telling others lies.

There are so many things alts are used for because the person doesn't want his or her main avi to be held accountable for.

Yes there will never be a way of completely stopping people, they can always make another account.

But will everyone that uses alts for these reasons go to that extent, I don't think so, and I also think only a small number would.

It is far to easy for people at the moment, make an alt and get people to do what you want them to, make an alt and trash some ones reputation, make an alt and cheat.

How many do you think will do it if they have to pay for another account, and also for the ones that do lets make them pay extra to do so.

Ass it is now, I don't add anyone I have just met to my friends list, not until I have really gotten to know them and feel I can trust them.

Lots of new players find it hard because that is how a lot of us now handle things.

We meet someone new and have a good chat with them but won't add them because of past experiences.

Clingers can be a real problem let alone stalkers and it takes time to find out if a person is genuine.

And if you don't play it safe you end up with both far to often.

I can understand how a lot of new players think that once you accept them on your friends list feel they have a right to see you when you are on.

But often it is like leaving your home in real life and having the same person waiting for your at the gate each time, when you actually want to spend time with others.

If you think about all the things that happen because we can create another avi to do what we should not be doing, then I think it is well worth looking into this.

Lets not only talk about the negatives it may create, lets also talk about the positives and how we may be able to get around some of the negatives.

Well, twiggs, I agree with some of your ideas, and yes there is a fair share of drama, trolls, and shit heads that just want to make trouble..But there will allways be some drama if we let these trouble makers bother us with thier shitt..I personally think the only thing we need is a marker system, like players alts should have a differnt lighting, spelling or color over thier name,so all nkow the character is an alt, this way peeps can still use thier alt, but others can tell that the character someone else is using is an alt...Now , so in this case buyer be wary , when dealing with the alt, and if asked, whom is thier main character, it should be up to the alt player to share whom there main character is, but atleast all will nkow the character thier interacting with is someones alt, and to be wary when playing with them ..

I am honestly curious about peoples experiences with alts being misused, because the only miss use I have really seen is people making an alt, and then approaching me and telling me something about someone or posting in WC something they didn't want to post with their main. I think that and cheating are really the most common type of miss use, but people seem to cheat anyways in a lot of cases even without alts. I don't think that alts should be segregated or treated different in most cases it simply wouldn't matter the vast majority of the people on my list for example don't even know my name. For them an alt would be absolutely no different, and it probability doesn't matter to much anymore anyways people who really care seem to have Pandora now. I have seen people make alts or new accounts after they burnt out their old ones some people seem to do that often... I don't think that it has much to do with them having alts since they act awful regardless.

Fair enough, Twiggy.  How about, if they decided to change things, they give everyone amnesty for a month to let them delete their alts or make one of their characters their "main" so that victims have a chance to get their stuff together before it happens?  The abusers will continue to abuse, so the amnesty won't help them.  (Or, if they turn over a new leaf, then it's a win.)  But the people who made alts to get away from abuse wouldn't have to be pulled out of hiding.  

If they did something like that, at least it would lessen the blow to some of the people using alts for good reasons.

Tlaera

Yes I agree Thaera, there would need to be an announcement on a day that would be put in place, like maybe 60 days notice, and that would also go for if they were to do what Robo is saying.

Robo what you are saying has been talked about several times, although no one could really present a decent argument against it, it never seems to get anywhere.

What we are talking about here more than anything is getting trust back into the game.

At the moment people tend to distrust until a person can prove they can be trusted, so most in game seem to stick to their own little group of friends.

If you look on the beach or any of the public places you see a whole pile of people by themselves, mostly new players, or at least that was how it was like 6 months ago.

I believe it would still be much the same now.

Even when they do get to chat with someone who has been in the game for a while I think most will not add them to their friends list.

Which then makes it hard to follow up on meeting them again.

I think people need to ask themselves how many times you have heard someone say "bloody alts" or "I think he is an alt" and then think of what that means.

I personally have experienced people using alts to bad mouth me, try to get together with me when I have said no to them, bad mouth others to me, get me to believe that a friend was definitely a real female by telling me he had seen proof when the girl was actually him to, use a female alt to build up their male avi to try to get me interested in them.

I have seen people use alts to set people up to break up relationships, also use alts to go into parties just to try wreck it.

The problem is to many people use alts to do things they do not want to be held accountable for and to manipulate.

To often it is the people that have done a lot to create fun things in the game and have gotten to be well known that are attacked by these people, and to me, those people are the most needed in the game.

Local chats use to be active all the time, and a lot of fun use to come from it.

People would bring new players into the local chat and it was a lot easier for new players to get into things in the game.

World chat use to be used by pretty much everyone and new players would often announce themselves in there and get helped.

Often you don't even realise you are being manipulated by a person using alts and can find out months to even years later.

I like Robo still believe that marking a main avi or marking alts would go a long way to reducing the problem, but they don't seem to want to go for that.

That way no one would know who the alt belongs to but at least we would know not to give that alt the trust we would a main avi.

New players showing that they are on a main avi could be given a better go.

Integration of payment (10.000Xgold) for new character was a dumbest, stupidest and foolish thing that i ever seen,cuz it do not working.

We said- it will not work. You said- it will help us! Bitch please! How did it help?It never helps. You just fed the devs a little more with micro transactions lol How much updates u seen after that?

I have my 3rd character in the game for relaxive and silent walking around if im not in mood or i dont want to chat with someone. In the past i had one slot for role play with friends. its not a free to play game,

So why do i need to waste my money for new character? Where is a logic? Because u ppl feel some drama? I know what is drama, I felt it in a deepest past cuz I was stupid but stopped it. 

How can your markers or something else help? Here people can make a biggest "drama illusion" from their first/main characters. But it`s just an illusion. If u want to feel bad,u will feel it.

Do you know how many starving people there are,on our planet? Do you know how many people die because of wars or how many young children in the world need support? 

Try to look them in the eye and explain them about your drama in game. You should be ashamed alot.

Just play your game/yourself correct, have fun and be able to relax sometimes in real life. It can help.

Have a good day.

Many recent threads have had a common theme behind them - basically how some people insist on creating drama of one sort or another just for the fun of it. They don't realise, well maybe they do, that it isn't fun at all and just pisses people off. As Twiggy says a situation has been reached where people don't trust many people in game and stick to their own little groups. This can't be good for the game, like it not only makes it hard for newbies to make friends but makes the experience much more inward looking.

It boils down to why should a few people mess things up for everybody else. In the absence of a little self control and adult behaviour from these people other possible solutions should be considered. I think we are all looking for a situation where we don't have to keep looking over our shoulders - whether it be dodgy rooms, people spreading rumours and lies about others, people building relationships just to knock them down again, offensive and unpleasant behaviour like naked wankers, creeps, random huggers. None of this sort of stuff is conducive to getting to know people.

It is really just a few people who mess things up too, just think of all the great people most of us have met and have good friendships with. Those friendships are the reason why people stay with the game, the few idiots, I think, are behind the reasons people leave. They create far more drama than their numbers would suggest.

I'm still not sure that flagging up a lead avi is the right thing to do but it would make one aspect of in game bullying more difficult, until the bullies find a way round it. If you're doing something you need to be left alone for, like building, changing your look, style whatever then most of your friends will understand you can't chat or come out to play just now. For that an alt is useful, though - showing the main avi as on line as an alt could be useful for friends so they know you're doing something. If you're up to nefarious activities then you need to have a pretty good excuse ready.

Integration of payment (10.000Xgold) for new character was a dumbest, stupidest and foolish thing that i ever seen,cuz it do not working.

We said- it will not work. You said- it will help us! Bitch please! How did it help?It never helps. You just fed the devs a little more with micro transactions lol How much updates u seen after that?

I have my 3rd character in the game for relaxive and silent walking around if im not in mood or i dont want to chat with someone. In the past i had one slot for role play with friends. its not a free to play game,

so why i need to spend my money for new character? Where is a logic? Because u ppl feel some drama? I know what is drama, I felt it in a deepest past cuz I was stupid but stopped it. 

How can your markers or something else help? Here people can make a biggest "drama illusion" from their first/main characters. But it`s just an illusion. If u want to feel bad,u will feel it.

Do you know how many starving people there are,on our planet? Do you know how many people die because of wars or how many young children in the world need support? 

Try to look them in the eye and explain them about your drama in game. You should be ashamed alot.

Just play your game/yourself correct, have fun and be able to relax sometimes in real life. It can help.

Have a good day.

In case you are pointing the finger at me for the 10k charge, I did not ask for it, no one asked for it in these forums and I was the 1st to come in these forums and say how it was bullshit and wouldn't do much.

So if your abuse is pointed at me, before you go calling me a bitch get your facts right.

Also I think you using starving people and people killed in wars for your argument against this is well over the top and nothing to do with what is being discussed here.

You have your opinion on it fine, you're more than welcome to put your view across, but can you keep it real.

In case you are pointing the finger at me for the 10k charge, I did not ask for it, no one asked for it in these forums and I was the 1st to come in these forums and say how it was bullshit and wouldn't do much.

So if your abuse is pointed at me, before you go calling me a bitch get your facts right.

Also I think you using starving people and people killed in wars for your argument against this is well over the top and nothing to do with what is being discussed here.

You have your opinion on it fine, you're more than welcome to put your view across, but can you keep it real.

My words weren't directed at you. Why do u think it was directed to you ? Did I quote your post?

Few my words was connected with your opinion  probably. Right .But you talking about drama. Sorry,what is a drama ? We can use that word, but we mean different things.

My arguments are directly related to the discussion here. Cuz i have my own opinion about "Drama". I can argue more than you think. You have ur opinion here and u same welcome here. 

Nice to meet u.