3DXChat Community

Gizmo, is it possible...

THX

Its a good idea but the only way to convert a .obj to a .world file would be to convert each face to a square or multiple triangles. Depending on the position of the face each one would require either one square or between two and four triangles using the existing objects. I actually have written most of a blender plugin to do that, but I never figured how to convert the angles I can get form blender to the world space rotations. It would be nice if the .world file format was updated to have each objects local rotation instead of the world rotation that would be really nice and allow for people to edit and work with the format much more easily.

From what I understand, you want to avoid triangles at all costs and add extra faces. I am no expert, but a couple of Blender videos talk about problems that arise if triangles are left.

I was just curious if Gizmo had a tool already to do this he could provide. Hell, if we could even import a scene in that can't be edited in world editor, like the rooms prior WE couldn't be.. that would be kewl too.

Snipergirl, I totally agree server is priority and everything else has to wait till that is done. That shouldn't take them all that long I'd think. I'd think they know their server behaviors fairly well by now.

the advantage of bringing hard props in though would be the reduction of lots of small props and decerased rendering I'd think.

I'd think that an extensive list of hundreds of props that coukd be retextured like a clothing editor can would also reduce the number of Prims to build basic things like couches, beds, lights, appliances and furniture in general.

I thinks what your really asking for and want which I would also like is for 3DX to support importing models made outside 3DX. The .world format isn't a object format its a save format it only saves position, rotation, scale, color, and material for each object not the object itself. I think that it would be tricky for it to be implemented for anything other then rooms since there has to be a way to share the files and those might get largish. I think its quite different from being sent a tiny .world file or pose file.

Perhaps, or the ability to import .obj files?

Wern't the original room saves prior to the WE in .obj? I don't rember and have deleted all my old ones.

I guess my question was related to if they were obj before and old saves can be imported into the WE, is there a tool to do that we could use.

The original save format was .dat it was something they either made themselves or got from unity but it was also not .obj. It was like the current save format only encrypted there were also .xml files that were made to be used with the 3rd party loading tools. Unity supports importing .obj files so they can easily be added the issue is texturing them they might be able to come up with a solution for that or let people import their own. I don't really know enough about that to say. They have their own way of combining textures from multiple objects that is part of the world editor right now. For rooms at least it might be best if they do add something like that to make people who make those objects follow whatever rules they have for creating the other primitive objects inside the game right now.

From what I understand, you want to avoid triangles at all costs and add extra faces. I am no expert, but a couple of Blender videos talk about problems that arise if triangles are left.

You understood it completely wrong. You need to use qauds (polygons made of exactly 4 vertixes) only when you need to use smoothing modifier which cuts your quad to smaller ones and adjusts vertixes to smoothen them. This technique is only used for rendering photo-realistic scenes (for CGI or just static pics). When you model it for games you need to use triangles instead to reduce CPU/GPU load when rendering it in real-time.

Never try to learn modelling for games by watching photo-realistic modelling tutorials.

The original save format was .dat it was something they either made themselves or got from unity but it was also not .obj. It was like the current save format only encrypted there were also .xml files that were made to be used with the 3rd party loading tools. Unity supports importing .obj files so they can easily be added the issue is texturing them they might be able to come up with a solution for that or let people import their own. I don't really know enough about that to say. They have their own way of combining textures from multiple objects that is part of the world editor right now. For rooms at least it might be best if they do add something like that to make people who make those objects follow whatever rules they have for creating the other primitive objects inside the game right now.

It is encrypted so heavily, lol.

/sarcasm off

.world files use simple JSON format to save the rooms. It consists of several fields for each primitive:

{name, posX, posY, posZ, scaleX, scaleY, scaleZ, rotationX, rotationY, rotationZ, texture, color}

That's it. Any JSON parser you can find online will represent it to you more visually-friendly. There's no encryption used.

Btw. Knowing now how .world files are working you can understand that you cant save any custon-geometry in there, you can only use existing primitives adjusting their position, coordinates and rotation.

PS: here's  some donuts for ya guys, good morning.

7yzxpm.png

The understanding I'm referring to has nothing to do with photo realistic scenes - but modeling. Yes, I didn't mean faces. I meant vertices.

According to this (22:15):

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Ngons and triangles pose problems and are better fixed with quads.

Additionally, this source corroborates the claim: https://www.pluralsight.com/blog/film-games/ngons-triangles-bad

"Ngons and triangles can also cause some strange issues at render time. While everything may look good in the viewport, once rendered you may notice some very strange artifacts happening. The only way to really avoid this is to go back and clean up the ngons on your model."

Since we can indeed save hard props in addition to Prims in the world file, i guess my question remains 'is there some way to add props from outside (I'm guessing the props in the world editor are.obj or .fbx ?)

The understanding I'm referring to has nothing to do with photo realistic scenes - but modeling. Yes, I didn't mean faces. I meant vertices.

According to this (22:15):

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

looked at the geometry he created by  22:00 and wanted to close the video. Watched a bit more and saw how he actually creates quads and closed it.

here, the guy explains how to model properly, why you need quads and how to model complex things in blender without unnecessary clicks.

https://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/2018/1/17/creating-an-anvil-full-series

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

• 2 weeks later...