3DXChat Community

Memory leak?

MeiLing

Something weird happens, mostly in crowded rooms. The use of the RAM raises with time. The more time you play, the more memory you use. it causes lag, prevents you from seeing profile and ultimately leads to a crash, a frozzen computer or DC. I can play with extremely high settings in many rooms, but have to use medium or low in places like Sin or Love Island when they are crowded. 

Please could you fix this

Thank you

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Something weird happens, mostly in crowded rooms. The use of the RAM raises with time. The more time you play, the more memory you use. it causes lag, prevents you from seeing profile and ultimately leads to a crash, a frozzen computer or DC. I can play with extremely high settings in many rooms, but have to use medium or low in places like Sin or Love Island when they are crowded. 

Please could you fix this

Thank you

Regards

Usually found theory crafting that effects, several light sources, reflective surfaces and object overlapping to be the biggest culprits for instability. Can't prove this of cause since I don't have any measuring software for that, but It's something I feel like I noticed through observing and experimenting around with things.

So hopefully something developers could look into if some it is possible to optimize or track problems with if it's the source of it.

Weird. I heard of that but it so far never happened to me, even after being at the Sin Club for hourse.

Could be my machine handling it better, but its realy weird that it doesn't affect a lot more people.

Weird. I heard of that but it so far never happened to me, even after being at the Sin Club for hourse.

Could be my machine handling it better, but its realy weird that it doesn't affect a lot more people.

Go to world editor, reload a room's file over and over, watch your memory usage, ????, profit.

Go to world editor, reload a room's file over and over, watch your memory usage, ????, profit.

Well that just ain't much of a leak when you're intentionally filling your room with duplicates ^__^ There's also a program made for removing duplicates from your room. :)

Well that just ain't much of a leak when you're intentionally filling your room with duplicates ^__^ There's also a program made for removing duplicates from your room. :)

Actually you don't fill it with duplicates, you just "Load" your room, and when you "re-load" it, it doesn't overlap your old one, it clears your room and loads it clean, unless you "Merge" it over and over, then the duplicates will happen. The memory leak remains around that range unless you reload your 3dxchat, then it will clear all the memory usage and go down to 500mb - 1GB.

Hey Lorance,

I would not be surprised to hear that there's a memory leak in the world editor.  But there's definitely a separate leak outside of the editor.  If I start 3dxchat, go straight to the Sin Club, and dance there for a few hours, my memory usage goes from 800M to 1.8G.  I suspect that it affects everyone, but that some people don't notice because they have enough RAM that there's no adverse effect for them.  My idle speculation has been that the leak has something to do with songs changing.  It seems to leak at the same rate when there are a lot of people in the club as when there are a few.  Though I haven't done extensive testing to verify that.

Tlaera

I have tested two things (in my room: alone and with one people):

Radio: there is no important change in the use of memory

Stream: the use of memory raises gradually.

The number of people cause a change in the momory use.

Other point : the use of GPU change. But I have not succeed to find out the reason

One thing to note is that the Sin Club music is likely handled differently than the radio in your room, since one is a stream and one is a broadcast of purchased songs.

Tlaera

It's exactly the same. The only difference is that in sin the tracks are already on the server and when you stream live the server is broadcasting your stream. Either way... it is all sent from a streaming server. Tho one big difference is that in many user rooms the quality of the stream is better because the stream in sin is 192 at best... but possibly even 128.

I would say quality but it also makes sense to point out that MOST people in 3dx are using on-board sound so to most of these people the change from 192 to 320 will not even be noticeable but for those of us with hq external sound cards... I very much appreciate the 320 streams.