3DXChat Community

The British and Snow

Guest Ciera

Guest ameliaUK

Salt? Would they still drink it?

Or you could warm the chicken instead of the water, I recommend this6_DB57783-9594-41_E7-9934-521693_EAA727.

Sorry Ciera

Or just save time and go to KFC.

Oh wait a minute...

Guest ameliaUK

Actually you can apparently now have “chicken” from KFC (loosely speaking) but you can’t have gravy!

#wotnogravy?

Guest ameliaUK

No, it's a question of excess! Report me now!

You really are offensive.

Still, you are only embarrassing yourself and letting everyone know exactly what you're like, so the best thing I can do is just ignore your pathetic little trolling efforts.

When I was a little girl, back in the days when milk was delivered to your doorstep whatever the weather, I remember that in cold weather blue tits would peck their way in to the milk bottles and drink the rich cream off the top. I must have been very tiny at the time but I seem to remember one winter when most of Dartmoor, in the south west of England, was cut off and the army had to helicopter in food for the animals up there. Even farmers couldn't get about with their tractors.

Where I live snow is a rarity and temperatures hardly ever fall below freezing. When it does it is never for more than a few hours. The temperature has been below freezing for two days now, my home town is silent as people stay in doors trying to keep warm.

Does Coffee and BJs really not want to be rude? I don't think that using slightly warm water would make a significant difference. The latent heat of fusion of water is so much greater than the heat capacity of water. It might make half an hour difference before it freezes, I wouldn't have thought much more. I am changing the water for my garden birds every hour or two and have made sure there is plenty of high energy food out there for them. So far this morning I have had two robins, I'm hoping they're a pair and will nest, sparrows, tits and black caps.

The big Freeze of 63?

I reported this post this morning and it's preyed on my mind since. I'm going to explain why I thought it was confrontational. If Coffee and BJs had said 'don't worry, in my experience hens cope very well with cold weather. Just make sure they have food and their water isn't frozen' I'd not have thought anything more of it. The use of phrases like 'not to be rude or anything', 'did you do any research on raising chickens' and 'welcome to the real world' tells me that Coffee and BJs is saying something else as well. I could be wrong but I remember seeing the phrase 'go figure' in there as well, but that seems to have gone. I believe the post was less giving a bit of useful advice and more trying to make the person asking for advice look, or feel, small.

Snow continues to fall on the south coast of England, somewhere between Penzance and Poole. Schools have been closed all day, the buses in my road haven't run, local radio reports tell people not to travel with road closures due to accidents. Some main roads in my area haven't been gritted and are unsafe. Fortunately snow is very rare in this part of the country but local councils are unable to cope well when it does.

I heard on the news today that the sea was freezing off the Isle of Wight. There have also been reports of power cuts in parts of the country. Does anybody know more? Good news is that the temperature will rise in a few hours.

so?

• 2 weeks later...

It's back again here, and in a big way too. For us about 20 to 30 cm is quite a lot, with drifting in the lanes. The village is pretty well cut off but I did manage to get in to town yesterday to pick up prescriptions and shopping for people in the village who couldn't get out. I got back just in time before the heavy snow really got going, but even then idiot drivers were driving too fast and too erratically to be safe. We brits just don't do snow well at all. I even got hooted at by some nutter trying to overtake as I was tootling along really well in my little car.

The hens have refused to come out of their coop, even refusing to get down in to their run, so they're getting room service. This means their water doesn't freeze over as it's propped up in the coop with them.. They don't realise it yet but they'll have a rude shock when I turf them out so I can muck them out later. They're still laying though so we can always eat eggs if the village is cut off for too long!

A slow thaw is forecast for tomorrow so prolly back to normal by Wednesday.