25 replies to this topic

#1 Camden

Camden

Queen of Everything

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:37 PM

I don’t have a lot to say which some who’ve talked to me will find strange. Anyhows, I’m looking to buy a gaming laptop. Nothing to fancy schmancy or over 1500. I don’t game much but I do like the graphics especially for designing and photos for my clients.

I’ve been researching for months but the problem I have is heat. Are all gaming laptops doomed to overheat or have a noisy fan? The one I have now, I need a new fan and it’s noisy.

Any suggestions?

#2 Mar Mohan

Mar Mohan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:54 PM

https://www.bestbuy....s=960&keys=keys

My friend has the 17.3 and it's perfect for what he does.

• Camden likes this

#3 RobT

RobT

Cult Leader and Lesbian turner extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,918 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:00 PM

sell some good ones you can have built at  cyber powered pc. I buy all my lappys and desktops at that place and never have an issue

• Camden likes this

#4 Camden

Camden

Queen of Everything

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:00 PM

That’s one that I was looking at mar Do you know if it has heating issues? That seems to be one of the cons I’ve been seeing online but I know users can post negative reviews based on something minor or just due to their own error. Thanks!

#5 RobT

RobT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,918 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:03 PM

That’s one that I was looking at. Do you know if it has heating issues? That seems to be one of the cons I’ve been seeing online but I know users can post negative reviews based on something minor or just due to their own error. Thanks!

They have the extra cooling option, its what i selected. Have had no issue at all. It does take longer to build and ship but in my opinion, worth it. as i said, never had any issues. I did read before i got mine some of the peoples leaked coolant during shipping but didnt have that issue either time and will be getting another soon

• Camden likes this

#6 RobT

RobT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,918 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:19 PM

just want to add, had the same ones for around 5 years give or take. only issue ive had is once my power button to turn it on broke and had to replace it. keep in mind you are looking at 4-6 weeks to get it unless you pay extra to have to speeded up 

• Camden likes this

#7 Mar Mohan

Mar Mohan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:34 PM

That's true Rob they are good and with any computer you can go and get accessories and upgrades to help your system that are cheaper than buying a whole new machine.  I haven't heard my friend complain but when I tell anyone that's buying a laptop to get an external cooling pad it can rest on they're cheap I have a Belkin and it didn't cost me much and works great.

• Camden likes this

#8 RobT

RobT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,918 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:25 PM

But, as far as laptops go, ive seen a ton because i fix computers and pre made ones that arent top of the line gaming ones seem to never last if the games have higher end graphics. Thats just my experience and perhaps others have had better luck. 

#9 JessicaX

JessicaX

Protector of Bacon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:43 PM

If you want a powerful laptop you will be paying a lot for it and even then you will never get a laptop that can compete with a high end desktop.

I like the idea of a "gaming laptop" but if you have seen the size of a GeForce 1080 you will wonder how they could fit this in a laptop without having issues. Proper gaming laptops will always be thick and put out a lot of heat. There's not much you can do about it. I had one a few years ago that would literally raise the temperature in the room by a few degrees.

A high end gaming laptop will cost twice what a comparable desktop will and will still under perform that desktop cause they have to cram so much hardware into a much smaller space.

#10 observer101

observer101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:21 PM

https://www.costco.c....100368662.html

If you catch it on sale can be ~ $100 less ....

I have this model and so far, no issues. As far as fan noise, it depends a lot on how graphics intensive the app is. I will say that playing a game like  3DX, for instance, the fans are gonna be spinning and yes there will be some ambient "rushing of air" noise. This model though allows you to tweak the fan settings so that may be helpful.

Good Luck in your search !

#11 Camden

Camden

Queen of Everything

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:08 AM

I get to write this off as an expense and was trying to find something reasonable without coming out of pocket. Might have to dig deeper. I just don’t want to drop five thousand and end up with the same issues.

I’m not an avid gamer so I don’t really need the desktop and I travel so it has to be portable. My last one worked really well it’s just that the fan blew.

Thanks everyone I’ll look into your suggestions.

#12 Shanti

Shanti

𝐵𝒪𝒮𝒮𝒴 𝐵𝐼𝒞𝐻𝐸

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationASSylum

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:37 AM

I don’t have a lot to say which some who’ve talked to me will find strange.

Wait .. what ? :o <_< 

About the rest, I don't know much, but I'll still suggest this one  :lol:  :

computerbackpack.jpg

Hope you find what you loooking for drunkie :wub: 

• Pierrousss and RobT like this

#13 Pierrousss

Pierrousss

★★★ ШҤIŦЄ ǷÁĿÁƇЄ ϦƦØŤHЄĿ ★★★™

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSouth of france

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:38 AM

Asus ROG cammy ;)

• Camden likes this

#14 Camden

Camden

Queen of Everything

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:49 PM

Wait .. what ? :o <_< 

About the rest, I don't know much, but I'll still suggest this one  :lol:  :
computerbackpack.jpg

Hope you find what you loooking for drunkie :wub: 

Pfft I’m quiet and reserved, merely an observer. That thing is too big for my delicate back.

#15 Camden

Camden

Queen of Everything

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:55 PM

I ate a double chocolate cookie from Panera with my hazelnut coffee. The cookie had too many chocolate chunks to finish it. On a more related note, I hate when I go to click a topic then click the username instead. Especially when it’s someone I prefer not to communicate with. Backspace with the quickness.

#16 RobT

RobT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,918 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:57 PM

Too late. I saw you :P

#17 MikeyDee

MikeyDee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationLost in music

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:19 PM

Any luck in finding what you're after Laptop-wise?   

I had one  3 years ago, with a 980Ti I think and as Ameilia has eluded too, It could heat my house and on occasion sounded like an industrial grade hair dryer. If you do find one that can handle all you can throw at it and it doesn't cook your thighs or set fire to the bed, let us know :)   

#18 Mar Mohan

Mar Mohan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:40 PM

I hope the suggestions you have here work for you.  I use both a laptop and desktop and with my laptop I always have a cooling pad and haven't *knocks wood* any overheat issues.

#19 Camden

Camden

Queen of Everything

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:47 PM

Thanks again I’m leaning towards the Rog.

#20 MikeyDee

MikeyDee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationLost in music

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:07 AM

I've gone with ASUS/ROG for a while now. Never had any problems with any of the kit I've bought. The ROG hardware is fantastic and support has always been prompt and painless.  

Some of the notebooks they have now are phenomenal. I'm trying to coax my boss into buying a few for "testing" so we can move away from MacBooks.....

I'll get my way one day ;) 

• Camden likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users