JenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 November 2018 - 01:08 PM

Why do people keep complaining ?

Because there has always been a severe lack of effort by the devs, and it keeps constantly getting worse.

They need to stop with these CHEAP ploys to try gain new business and start looking after the business they already have.

Relying on new business to keep the numbers up can only ever do so for a limited time, and that time is getting close.

I don't think the big update at discount time will produce the figures it has before, to many are a wake up to it, and see it has been at a cost.

Also there is not enough in it, all that is in it we should have got through the year in regular updates.

And still very little of things that have been constantly asked for so many times.

Soon, and I think sooner than they think, the numbers leaving will over weigh the amount of new people joining.

And the longer this goes on, the more they will have to offer to get the players that have left to come back.

Thats quite contradictory? First you say they stop looking for new customers and should look after the current ones, then you end with saying the numbers leaving will outnumber the new coming in?

I'm not sure what youre trying to say here?

I agree about the update situation and I dont think you'll find many that dont, but this has nothing to do with the company wanting a steady income from new subscribers, they are a must if the game is to survive.

Personally, I would love to see thousands of new people come into the game, then with all that extra cash flow, the updates might be bigger and more frequent and address many of the wants of the customers that have been asked for a long time now.

#1882 Maxx

Maxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:20 PM

The licensing is exactly as I stated, and that was copied directly from the unity website.

If an item is sold through their assets store they have the ability to set it to restricted, or they can have prices for different uses, in which case if you use the item without paying for the right to do so, or if you use a restricted item, then you are breaking the licensing rules.

If an item is advertised at a price without showing the restriction, or having different prices for different licensing then the standard Unity licensing applies, which is the copied text I showed you.

If you sell an item in the Unity assets store you have to nominate it to be away from the standard Unity licensing, if you don't then it is open for use to that license agreement, which is both personal and commercial use.

You cannot resell the item, but you can use it in a commercial environment, meaning you can use it in a game.

You cannot sell it in the game, but you can make it available for use in the game, unless the seller has checked the box to make it a restricted license, and many of them are not restricted, as is the chair that Allie has shown not restricted.

https://unity3d.com/legal/as_terms

#1883 chloe

chloe

♪♫♬ Queen of Bass ♬♫♪

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,675 posts
  • Location❤ Felia ❤

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:47 PM

https://unity3d.com/legal/as_terms

I read the relevant parts and I see no reason why any license is violated?! Maybe you can quote the relevant text part for us please.
  • Ullubu, Niblette and Mar Mohan like this

#1884 Niblette

Niblette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 05:22 PM

Its pretty clear that they can use stuff from the Unity store, since they are using the Unity, and that is why the store exist. There is a risk that someone other then the content creator released stuff on the store without the real owners permission. I think in that case Unity would be liable for damages, since they are selling that asset as something that developers can use in their games.

#1885 Feuermond

Feuermond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Location❤...in Missy's arms...❤

Posted 04 November 2018 - 06:15 PM

Sorry again, does not reall matter any more.

#1886 rhet

rhet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 06:28 PM

Yes I agree, there is so much in the Unity store they could use.

There are dance animations and a lot of other stuff that would be really good to have in the game.

Maybe we should take up a collection to buy as much of the Unity store as possible?

I'll put in a month worth of extra subscription for that.

#1887 Aliviax

Aliviax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 04 November 2018 - 07:54 PM

1111111.gif

1111.gif

#1888 Aliviax

Aliviax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:00 PM

Chairrrrrrrrr  1 dollar one ...one dollar 2 ...

1111111.png

we have 2 dollars offer from Gizmo  :D  :D 

1111111.gif

:D  :D 

• SniperGirl, Alliehotass, Ullubu and 1 other like this

#1889 Rockster

Rockster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:23 PM

If you read the EULA of the Unity Store it is very specific what the Stores terms are and how those terms are in force unless special permission by the owner is granted above and beyond the stores terms which are in force absent of special terms.

SexyDevil (or any commercial entity) cannot simply buy assets due to them confirming them commercially to third parties (us), who don't hold licences without permission.

Doubt it? Send an email to the legal link in the EULA. Their lawyers will reply within a couple days usually to questions.

It would be nice, if assets could be obtained as easily as many think they can, but if you think about it, creators who don't have a lawyer at hand would be getting raped by anyone who wanted to make money off of their work without permission. The Unity Store lawyers will indeed take action to protect their customers (who pay a fee per sale to the Unity Store).

I think you will find when they refer to third parties they are referring to a 3rd business who will on-sell again. They don't mean players of games for whose use the original purchasing business bought the asset.

Edited by Rockster, 04 November 2018 - 11:24 PM.

#1890 Rockster

Rockster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:26 PM

Hi everyone Allie Holmes here. Wilps since being on tha 2 Dolla Chair case and searching thru tha clues and inventory of tha alleged distributer ah noticed someting vewwy vewwy interestins. Puff Puff.

giphy.gif

Eet seems to me there is a vast amount of items or should ah say "assets" fo sale. Indeedly so there are many such assets to choose from ranging from poses, all tha way to cough cough, chairs, antique chairs ah might add.

Meows to consider tha suspect browsing thru tha "assets" and tinking, allegedly ah might add, "hmmmmmm, they need an Antique Chair, and 5 Dolla is mah limit" with all tha glorious goodies to be had seems to me as hmmmmm, Scroogy ta say tha least and also leaves me somewhat miffed ta tink of all that could be.

Anybewbs, neva look a gift horse in da bunnz mah Grandfather used ta say afta all eets tha thought that counts even if eet was a cheap one at that :P Neva mind im sure eetll make a good pipe chair fo an old man cooking his toes in front of da open fire Trolling World Chat in his room he downloaded and added 7 beds fo sleep overs :P

Mah job is duns and eets 

Allie Awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!  attachicon.gifSoopa Allie Awaaaaaaay!.jpg

You crack me up girlfriend. x'D

• Alliehotass likes this

#1891 Rockster

Rockster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:35 PM

Maybe we should take up a collection to buy as much of the Unity store as possible?

I'll put in a month worth of extra subscription for that.

We probably should all go there, bookmark what we like and create our own wishlist and submit it to Gizmo. He could even create a special mid-year event (like 'Christmas in July') separate from the end-of year birthday update where it was "members choice" and we all submitted items for a list, that list was voted on by players and the top 10 items (20?) were selected and he bought those items for the game for us.

#1892 Aliviax

Aliviax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:48 AM

Hop on the back, we are going xmas shopping at the unity store!!!

kFendqR.jpg

hahahahaa you

#1893 Aliviax

Aliviax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:49 AM

kFendqR.jpg

hope u have more than 2 dollars  :D  to spend  :D 

• Alliehotass likes this

#1894 Alliehotass

Alliehotass

Bamboozla

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationAUSTRALIA

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:56 AM

kFendqR.jpg

Hop on tha back? Oh Mr Wob dunn ya know that ah have one of these too LOL infact ah have a fleet of thems, but which one will ah ride today is da question :P

Ah neva really chqed out tha Unity Store B4, hehehe poet and ah din even know eets :P They have alotta lotta stuffs and meowz im realizins like Hellz Bellz why dunn we have this juicey loot in tha game.

Anybewbs, dunn fogets ya 20 000km service or eets 10 000 mile service or wotevs ya Murricans use, bring eet ins to mah workshop, eets state of tha art, and we will give ya Tronny tha Lervs eet Deserves, Ermahgerds ah did eets again  :lol:  Ah cracksme erps  ^_^

• Aliviax likes this

#1895 Aliviax

Aliviax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:01 AM

plz i will Ask to not tell me if unity store has more stuff on 1 n 2 dollar range  :D  :D  :D 

#1896 Maxx

Maxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:24 AM

I think you will find when they refer to third parties they are referring to a 3rd business who will on-sell again. They don't mean players of games for whose use the original purchasing business bought the asset.

I will maintain a company who's users can redistribute the assets to other users would run a risk.

A similar issue with personal use of Unity Store assets being used and uploaded by a any user in Curio was brought up to the Unity Store legal team. The redistribution aspect was cited as one reason it could invoke a DMCA violation and could NOT be done. The asset COULD be taken from here. There is little security. This doesn't mean it can't be done. You need to get permission from the asset creator directly to be 'safe.' I'd be surprised if a company wouldn't take that precaution.

The other issue with Unity Store assets is, if 3DX updates the engine, but the asset creator doesn't update their asset to the upgrade (which happens more often than you may think as people stop bothering too) you can have assets that no longer work. So simply put, if you make a place and the asset no longer works - your screwed. Curio went through exactly this in the upgrade from Unity 4 to Unity 5. Whole places bought
4 I can think of off the top of my head) for Unity 4 no longer worked for Unity 5. A major blunder for Utherverse. It was a colossal mistake to relay on 3rd parties.

There are many pitfalls to just buying assets from the Unity Store for virtual worlds that keep evolving.

It isn't as easy as everyone thinks it is.

#1897 Twiggy

Twiggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:49 AM

Maxx I suggest you look here....

https://support.unit...ommercial-game-

Are you sure Curio wasn't making items that users had uploaded available for sale, even for the game currency ?

I am not sure how Curio actually works, but I do know that they have user content and people make money through selling things in there.

Also if Curio themselves were selling items, even with game currency, that had been obtained through the Unity assets store, then they are breaking the license agreement.

But I will tell you again, and if you read the data in the link I have shown you will see this to be correct.

None restricted items purchased from the Unity assets store can be used in a commercial game.

When you submit an item for sale in the Unity store as non restricted you are agreeing to that, if you do not want it to be used commercially then you make it restricted, that is how the Unity assets store works.

Yes when Unity 5 came out there was a lot of games required some to a lot of recoding to have things work the way they use to in Unity 4.

That was coding though, and yes there are assets sold that are coding, and yes some of them needed to be either deleted from the assets store or updated to work in Unity 5.

But things like chairs, animations and such mostly did not need any attention, some may have needed lighting alterations and such, but basically changing to Unity 5 had little effect on props.

They withdrew certain aspects of coding capabilities in Unity 4 which made it that different types of coding would no longer work Unity 5.

As you can see by what is said in the link I provided you, the assets can also be used in other game engines, they are not restricted to Unity.

It is up to the asset provider to place restrictions on items they sell in the Unity assets store when they submit it to the store.

If they choose to make it non restricted then it is available to be used for commercial use.

• chloe and Ullubu like this

#1898 Maxx

Maxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 05:38 AM

Maxx I suggest you look here....

https://support.unit...ommercial-game-

Are you sure Curio wasn't making items that users had uploaded available for sale, even for the game currency ?

I am not sure how Curio actually works, but I do know that they have user content and people make money through selling things in there.

Also if Curio themselves were selling items, even with game currency, that had been obtained through the Unity assets store, then they are breaking the license agreement.

But I will tell you again, and if you read the data in the link I have shown you will see this to be correct.

None restricted items purchased from the Unity assets store can be used in a commercial game.

When you submit an item for sale in the Unity store as non restricted you are agreeing to that, if you do not want it to be used commercially then you make it restricted, that is how the Unity assets store works.

Yes when Unity 5 came out there was a lot of games required some to a lot of recoding to have things work the way they use to in Unity 4.

That was coding though, and yes there are assets sold that are coding, and yes some of them needed to be either deleted from the assets store or updated to work in Unity 5.

But things like chairs, animations and such mostly did not need any attention, some may have needed lighting alterations and such, but basically changing to Unity 5 had little effect on props.

They withdrew certain aspects of coding capabilities in Unity 4 which made it that different types of coding would no longer work Unity 5.

As you can see by what is said in the link I provided you, the assets can also be used in other game engines, they are not restricted to Unity.

It is up to the asset provider to place restrictions on items they sell in the Unity assets store when they submit it to the store.

If they choose to make it non restricted then it is available to be used for commercial use.

Yes, I am sure Curio (Utherverse) wouldn't be that stupid. After all they have had a successful VR world for 10+ years.  Feel free to send a email to Unity legal. Again, I am not saying it is impossible, I am saying if your a big name you better get direct permission form the assets creators. I'd Bet Sexydevil has and are not stupid.

As for the rest of your post. What VR world in their right mind would take such a chance that assets bought will work 5 years from now?  You'd have to be a moron to think in those terms.

I get why Sexydevil wants to keep everything in house. Short term, Yes it would be nice to just buy assets from the curio store. But VR worlds arn't a one game sale. They continuously evolve. 

The major assumption flaw is that a VR world like 3DX is static like a one time game sale off say - Steam.

I dunno about anyone else. But I "get it" why  they want control.

#1899 Twiggy

Twiggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:29 AM

Sorry but yes most game developers would expect things like props and animations to be still able to be used in 10 years, let alone 5.

Where do you think a good amount of the props in 3DXChat came from.

The Saloon for one was from there, so to all the musical instruments, and quite a lot of other props like lounges and things.

Lots of which have been in the game for over 5 years.

1st you say that Curio was in trouble for breaking licensing agreements then now you say they wouldn't be stupid enough to do so.

Read what it says in the link I showed you, see where it clearly says you can use assets sold in the assets store in a commercial game without having to pay any extra, as long as they are not marked as restricted.

Yes someone with the knowledge may be able to hack the game and get to make a copy of the purchased asset, but that is the way Unity works.

It is neither the responsibility of 3DXChat or Unity if someone does that, it goes against the terms of agreement in both and is the hacker breaking the rules.

• Ullubu likes this

#1900 chloe

chloe

♪♫♬ Queen of Bass ♬♫♪

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,675 posts
  • Location❤ Felia ❤

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:17 AM

Yes, I am sure Curio (Utherverse) wouldn't be that stupid. After all they have had a successful VR world for 10+ years.  Feel free to send a email to Unity legal. Again, I am not saying it is impossible, I am saying if your a big name you better get direct permission form the assets creators. I'd Bet Sexydevil has and are not stupid.

As for the rest of your post. What VR world in their right mind would take such a chance that assets bought will work 5 years from now?  You'd have to be a moron to think in those terms.

I get why Sexydevil wants to keep everything in house. Short term, Yes it would be nice to just buy assets from the curio store. But VR worlds arn't a one game sale. They continuously evolve. 

The major assumption flaw is that a VR world like 3DX is static like a one time game sale off say - Steam.

I dunno about anyone else. But I "get it" why  they want control.

Curio users did uploaded licensed material to the game. Sold it (or not) through the Curio store to other players and the company behind Curio got trouble for this.

So how this is related to 3dx? These are two completely different things.

All a user can do in 3dx is up and download a JSON file with text content in which game assets (like that 2 dollar Chair) get coordinates. 

• Ullubu likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: patch, update

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users