3DXChat Community

Room Thief Shaming

Keely Kat

Forget file proves or something like that... everything can be manipulated.... all you can do is show your work in progress to real friends, show the progress here and the people will believe you, that you are the original creator of the room. We should not start a witch hunt, but if it is verified that someone did stolen the room, let them feel that we do not tolerate that.

But as always think twice before you accuse someone. First be 100% safe it was a plunder.

Edit:

And don't stop to make awesome rooms. 

Edited by chloe

after reading this...the shaming may not be the best solution but it helped me see that marking my room in many places is the right approach and posting my creations here (not for download).  if my name is hidden and screenshots of my rooms are posted it does two things: 1. A record of creation...maybe even incorporate a date on the markers in the room  2. it makes the thief have to wipe the room of that evidence and that will be a chore because I put my name and mark everywhere.  

Also Sex Game Devil does not own user content if it is created outside the game and then used inside a room.  They can think it does but the copyright follows the creation everywhere.  Some of the things I put in my rooms I have had for a long time and are copywritten...a US court would not side with them because some of the things I do are actually registered content.  Also, if someone replicates a logo of Coca-Cola - the presumption is that the game developers now own that since it was user created.  That doesn't hold water so the belief that users have no creative rights is false but then again who has the resources to challenge it?  Only if whatever you create is wholly original to the game is it SGD property.

• 5 months later...

A list of known room thieves is a great idea, not for shaming though. For adding to full ignore lists, so any creations are not seen by them. I know this would not be foolproof as ppl can create alt accounts, but it would help a bit..perhaps.

While it's shitty doing that would make you just look as bad as they are.

You can also get into trouble for doing that, double check the rules before hand and you'll see this suggestion could fall against them along with others that have been suggested.

What I don't understand is the logic of the devs...

It's ok to steal a room, but you will be banned for showing anyone how to steal a room.   

HUH? How does this make any sense?

That is what is bugging me to be true. I was in total agreement with Gizmo in the beginning. The rules clearly showed that you create something and put it in world it is no longer 'yours' so it was kind of like buyer beware. People are going to copy it. Either accept it or stop building. 

But then when this Pierouss gets so frustrated over the situation he goes off his nut and posts a hack on HOW to copy a room ... BANG... banned! I understand the logic behind it but I kind of feel like the devs are starting to play fast and loose with their rules here. 

Every single person here in 3DX including the Devs are well aware that this 'room stealing' thing is wrong. Entirely wrong.  So they should step up and do something. They ALSO have every right to add onto the rules and their policies. It would be very easy to add in a policy that if you are caught taking and using others builds as your own you will receive a ban.  Yes I am aware it would be work to get to the bottom of who stole what from whom but to be honest Devs thats what YOU signed on for. You wanted a successful social/sex game and you are getting it. Along with all the bumps in the road. 

Picking and choosing which way to follow your own rules isnt right either. 

**ETA  ... and something that has been on my mind a long time actually and was quoted in this thread was Gizmo telling ppl if you dont want your stuff taken dont make it. I am sorry but that is rude and very short sighted of you.  The successful online worlds are actually successful because of the talented users that log in and create and make things work. So basically telling these ppl to go shit in their hat was not a very smart move when dealing with ppl.  So that's off my chest lol 

Not really, if you consider that Gizmo's stance is that it's ok, why not make sure everyone is on a level playing field? 

It's a hack to steal a room, but here's what's weird... showing people how to steal the room is bad.. but actually stealing the room is ok. That's completely illogical. 

Fact of the matter is that people are creating content, and very valuable high quality content. paying customers are creating content for Gizmo's game. How could it really get any better? He has paying customers adding value to his product. The very least that should be done is to protect those creations and create an environment where users have the desire to keep creating this content. Not making a scenario where its frustrating the creators and driving people away. 

You do understand its also a bannable offense to discuss disciplinary actions of the devs.

Now THAT has to be the most ridiculous rule I have heard in this world.  Its right out there in the thread that Gizmo locked. Pierouss got his hand slapped by Gizmo. If they are truly trying to say you can't question these things they do? I would really start to wonder about being in this world. 

that absolutely astounds me. As you may see I have created a new topic to ask about this very thing. This sincerely bothers me. To be sure I have zero problems with anyone in this world  and it probably would never affect my life here really but I still find it bothersome. And very ummmm I cant think of the word offhand. But to not be able to question the so called 'authority' or voice an opinion ... yeah theres something not right with that. 

Simple fact  of the matter is rules are in place, If i or anyone else thinks they are unfair we have choices. We can stop building or even stop playing. Making rooms or playing the game is optional, everyone has a choice in if they want to continue playing. if the rules bother anyone so badly, The fix is very easy. 

Any club or membership has rules, if you dont follow said rules, you can be removed. that goes for anything online or in the real world. Not every law or rule makes sense to every person.

And I entirely agree with you that the rules ARE in place. And yes I also agree we do have choices. My original point is I feel the devs are starting to play fast and loose with those rules.  They DO have options in regards to this problem. They have chosen not to see any other options available to them.  

Well perhaps they were a little short sighted to begin with but that is neither here nor there.  Once again I will say I originally agreed with Gizmo on this entire subject.  I again find it very short sighted on their part but thats not my business I don't build.  What I DO find wrong is the banning of the member that posted the hack. If you want to remove the post ... great no troubles there. But the fact of the matter is that they have now proven they WILL do something about some members in regards to this entire situation.  They have just decided to 'choose a side' in it.  If they will ban a member for posting the hack they should be willing to put their money where their mouth is and ban the ppl that are harming their user base.  

You can't have it both ways. Well you can but then you are going to be a few devs sitting in an empty world looking at each other wondering what went wrong and filling out job applications. 

And now you have me off on a new tangent about this business of banning for questioning the devs disciplinary actions. (short attention yes I know)  I have no trouble stating right here in this thread that I think the ban of Pierouss was wrong.  A great big wrong. Delete the post showing the hack sure but banning him when you arent willing to take steps to protect these things that your user base have created in order to give you a viable social environment is wrong. Not to mention dumb!  Up until the banning of this member I was right on board with you RobT. They warned everyone to build at their own risk. they have now proven that they will in fact come down on people on one side of this fiasco. 

Banning me would be no skin off anyone's nose. I got no trouble spending my money elsewhere but I really do think they need to brainstorm some solutions because this world is going to grow and with its growth is going to come a lot more of these issues. 

It's the internet plain and simple.  Look at huge chains like Target and Home Depot they were hacked.  A known bank was hacked as well.  If it's online it can be  hacked just how easy is the difference.

As Gizmo posted in the locked thread and in the Accessibility of User Worlds Thread, they are his words.

We have a choice to continue to subscribe and play the game or not.

While I get the the file copying of a room someone else used is shitty and yes it is but Gizmo already replied to his stance and we can either accept it or not.  Right now as it stands all we can do is enjoy the game as much as we can for what it is.

Well i will agree he handled himself poorly.  As for anything he did in world I don't know. I didn't see any of it. But that is sort of the point too. Someone like me is reading in the forums going ... wth are they doing to their own client base???  **ETA that also kind of proves the point they are willing to do something about SOME members and SOME rules but turn a blind eye to other things that are glaring them in the face. Makes no sense to me. 

I agree with you as well MarMohan. We do all have choice. Right now my choice is leaning heavily towards to not re upping but I have months still left on my sub. February to be exact. Sigh I wish I had just taken it a month at a time until I knew all what I was getting into. 

Actually no I am not saying I want them to crack down on room thieves. I have zero pokers in that particular fire.  As I stated numerous times I agreed that they knew they were building at their own risk. (Come to find out I also have to agree that I basically signed an agreement to not speak out against the disciplinary actions of the devs which is now staring me right in the face) I am saying it feels like they are not implementing their rules wisely.  

LOL Rob you have never once been 'assholish' to me in anyway shape or form.  As a matter of fact I have thoroughly enjoyed being have to have a decent conversation with someone when our opinions differ. :) So get that out the way. 

And it might well be true that they are going to do whatever they want. Where we differ is the idea that there is nothing that can be done about it. We can voice our displeasure as our builders have done. We can speak out if we feel there has been an injustice as I feel I have done in the ban (correction suspension) :) of a member.  Again I will entirely agree that they make the rules. If we choose to not play by them the result is we all take our money elsewhere and this virtual world ends. I don't think that is something that anyone involved wants. 

At the end of the day I suppose it is the devs choice as to what they do with the world they created but the users made viable.  You see for me when you say "if something comes up that really really bothers me, i will stop sinking my cash into the game."  I am relatively new to this world. This is my first look at how things are handled here.  I know World Chat and ppl in world can be serious asshats I have a pretty thick skin in regards to the inhabitants of this world but when I see a business running itself in a way that slaps my face I look twice.  So this has been my first taste of how the Devs and Mods handle themselves in this world.  At first I was all for it I was really quite impressed... now I am really rethinking it. 

honestly, I dont feel like they are turning a blind eye on anything. you want them to crack down on people stealing this or that but the only proof any of you have is saying you made it. It becomes a "who do I believe" sort of thing because im pretty sure they or him doesnt want to spend half the day sorting through who took what room . You guys want updates, reports looked at, room stealing investigated etc.  Only so much time in the day. If you want to say they should have more people on the team, Thats fine but the fact remains they dont so they have to do what they  can do. 

if its been posted to a thread 1st.. it is quite clearly yours. Unless they change the forum dates. That is a very easy problem to solve. 

All that needs to be done is have 1 common source to upload your images to like the threads people have made. Now this could cause issue with someone who didn't post a pic before the room thief did but then that's on them. There's many easy ways this can be done. But any single attempt would be welcomed. 

The big issue I think everyone is forgetting is that Gizmo's stance seems to be:  You can break this rule, just don't make a post about how you broke the rule. 

if its been posted to a thread 1st.. it is quite clearly yours. Unless they change the forum dates. That is a very easy problem to solve. 

All that needs to be done is have 1 common source to upload your images to like the threads people have made. Now this could cause issue with someone who didn't post a pic before the room thief did but then that's on them. There's many easy ways this can be done. But any single attempt would be welcomed. 

The big issue I think everyone is forgetting is that Gizmo's stance seems to be:  You can break this rule, just don't make a post about how you broke the rule. 

^^^^^^^^^^

thats kinda what I been getting at. 

My suggestion for anyone who steals an asset or a room should be shamed by the the community.  We can come up with lots of ways to do that, but here are a few:

1. Fill their inbox with admonishments
  2. find every post they have made and comment on their post that's they are in fact a fucking thief
  3. Announce their criminality on World Chat and in the rooms they steal
  4. Community exile by having as many people as possible ignore them - if they cant see the room its harder to know what file to harvest

More suggestions would be great...anything to mark these people as living, breathing assholes.

Acting on that list would break a dozen forum and game rules lol

I am completely taking Gizmo's side on this and I am trying to help to make it understood.

You are signed up to enjoy a sex game, not a developer platform. Again. This is a sex game.

Try to enjoy the game for what it was made for. If you want to be a professional designer there are million ways you can protect your creation and even get paid for it. 3DXChat is not one. It's a fact you must accept.

Here is a list of other worlds, websites, etc. you can build for and your work is 100% protected:

Sansar

Second Life

High Fidelity

IMVU

I know there are much more out there but those four come to mind right now.

If someone could prove to me that someone else 'stole' or copied their room and was using it as their own I would have no trouble adding them to a list of people whos places I wouldnt frequent.  

We all need to stand by the courage of our convictions. Regardless of what rules and bylines that get spouted here in this forum every single thinking person knows that doing this is wrong to the original creator.  

Wouldn't bat an eye at calling out a copycat to everyone I come across. *shrugs* but thats just me. 

i do have a legitimate question. The room ownership thread...  exactly what good do you think thats going to do. He has already said the 3dx stance on it, I could understand if he started the thread but do you really think he is going to rush to ban someone for a rule that doesnt even exist?

a legitimate answer is ... in time when these rooms get copied and we all know ppl are going to do especially now... it shows who really created the room.  If a copycatter is then shown and posted ppl like me will basically boycott the 'stolen' rooms. What fun will a person have in a room if nobody goes to it?  

Acting on that list would break a dozen forum and game rules lol

I am completely taking Gizmo's side on this and I am trying to help to make it understood.

You are signed up to enjoy a sex game, not a developer platform. Again. This is a sex game.

Try to enjoy the game for what it was made for. If you want to be a professional designer there are million ways you can protect your creation and even get paid for it. 3DXChat is not one. It's a fact you must accept.

Here is a list of other worlds, websites, etc. you can build for and your work is 100% protected:

Sansar

Second Life

High Fidelity

IMVU

I know there are much more out there but those four come to mind right now.

Sansar is actually quite nice, tho you do need a pretty high end PC to run it. The VR looks literally amazing and when its completely fleshed out it will be something fantastic. 

i do have a legitimate question. The room ownership thread...  exactly what good do you think thats going to do. He has already said the 3dx stance on it, I could understand if he started the thread but do you really think he is going to rush to ban someone for a rule that doesnt even exist?

It's a step in the right direction.

I know it boils your blood to see me connected to anything positive. You will be ok tho. 

im sorry sugar but the people in these forums are a very small minority of people in game. Most people dont give a shit what room is what. 

I will prove it to you. Going to make a video of a "borrowed" room and me opening it. we shall see. Will do it in morning

unfortunate truths