3DXChat Community

Text Entry Macro Program

Eroaulon

Some people know that I am the GM of a large RP guild in another game some don't but going to share little tips I learned over the years to over come what aome chat systems lack, here is one shared by one of our members origanal post can be found here http://desireguild.enjin.com/forums/m/5592715/viewthread/14215751-text-entry-macro-program by Aunaliisa of Desire

Hello, RPers,

Attached is the Tera RP Editor.

This is a small dumb-simple program that you start when using Tera. It is based in AHK (Auto Hot Key

Not everyone needs this, or wants this, and it's not needed in casual chat. I use it for the para-RP that I often do... *smiles*

It incorporates a text editor with a custom short-cut (the '\' key, just above the enter key on most US keyboards), which simply auto-magically 'types' in the entire string from the editor directly into the Tera chat text-entry box. The Tera chat box is only 300 characters, so IF you have composed something more than 300 characters, it will be cut off. Just fix the end in Tera, and post it. In the TeraRPEditor, delete the characters you just posted, fix the beginning of your remaining characters, switch back to Tera, open the text entry, and post again. Repeat until your entire, beautiful passage has been posted.

Otherwise, just compose in the TeraRPeditor like you would in Tera, but enjoy the ability to see your whole post, more easily edit it, recompose it with copy paste, etc.

Preemptive Answers:
- Yes, the source is included. Install AHK 1.1 or above on your system, and edit it in notepad to change the short-cut key, or whatever... Or just inspect it to verify it isn't a key-logger or something bad...

- No, you do not need to download and install AHK at all. The executable in the zip file is all you need to run.

- Yes, it is probably better to not run full-screen when using this. I like to see what's going on on screen and also have enjin open, thus I always run my MMOs in windowed mode, so this scheme works for me, but it will be a nuisance for full-screen-un-windowed users.

- Are you a programmer? What? This was SUPER easy. A) I copied the example from the AHK documentation for a text editor into notepad. B) I added the '/' shortcut which sends the contents of the TEXT control to the open chat box. C) Found some RP. D) Profited.

- Can the program be made to do something differently? Probably, but anyone can edit it... *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* (I'll be happy to try if I like the idea.)

- Why do I need this? You may not need it at all!! I need it because:
a) I pre-type... I guess what is coming next, and start typing whatever I think... it can be self-description so that that is least affected by the other person(s) RP, or an elaboration on an action I just posted, or an all-out guess. Often, what I type is fine, and I follow up with direct reaction to the other RP, and maybe another action of my own. Even though, in my case, I am necessarily reacting and not being the primary 'initiator', I still guess right to save a LOT of time. Tera make it HARD to fix composition and re-edit what I have when I need to correct my repsonse to match the actual RP of my RP partner(s). This program makes it a lot easier.
B) Parallel responses. By composing in a side-editor, I am free to reply quickly to a tell or OOC comment inside the Tera chat box while composing my main response in the side-editor.
c) Easier editing of para-style RP. When the Tera text box is made as wide as it will go, with normal-sized text, I can only see about 40% of the full 300 characters that you can use in a single post, plus it is brutal to go back and forth from the front of the line to the back (well, Home and End are your friend, but I mean seeing the parts in the middle of the 300 characters). Composing in a relatively large text box that shows all 300 characters at once and lest you do easy copy and paste is SO good.
d) While I would never just robot my side of the RP, there are cases where you could benefit from a pre-written setup to your RP, or you have a fixed story you would like to tell. If you can blurp all that out quickly, instead of typing it on the spot, everyone will be happier, and more interactive RP can start happening more quickly.

TeraRPeditor_1406933289.png

CHANGES MADE MONDAY AUGUST 4

- Found that the 'Send' command used in the example sends the ALT key if you send an exclamation point. Changed to 'SendRaw' to send all literal characters as typed.
- Found that I didn't like the 300 character limit, and that it is easier to just compose in the editor, send the first 300 characters in Tera, delete those characters from the TeraRPEditor, resend in Tera, and continue until your masterpiece RP is completely posted.
- Found that a problem that made me think I needed to send the initial 'Enter' key to open the Tera chat box was due to using Shift-Alt-<shortcut key>. The initial press of Shift+Alt make Tera go out of text entry mode, interfering with the entry into the Text Box. When the shortcut key is simply the forward-slash key, entry into the text box directly is best. Now you must open the text box.
- REPEAT: You must now open the text box before hitting the shortcut key. This also lets you verify you are in the right mode first, such as party, as opposed to guild or whisper.