3DXChat Community

Language in public chat?

Jola

I never have a problem with people not speaking English, rather the 'sorry for bad English' saying get's on my last nerves. Seriously just speak your own and I'll guess what you're saying. Much more tolerant than hearing you 'apologize' every single time you speak for not being fluent in mine.

First of all it is a rule, I understand English is not everyone's first language and that some people have a hard time with it.  I have seen it used more and more and not just for a simple greeting.  A simple greeting is fine, I have no issues. English is a universal language and should be used in local and world chat.  It common sense, respectful and well less annoying to others, seriously if there is a need for you to have a conversation, find the person and pm them.  By the way that goes for everyone using world chat as a conversation place, I do not need to be a part of your conversation, find that person and open up a pm. World chat should be for a quick hello to all and trying to locate someone... it is not a conversation place.. so many times simple messages get lost in someone's convo and the person they are trying to reach misses it.

Anyways... who cares anymore.. no one to enforce rules so why the hell even have them..  I am still for English being used.. it is out of respect for all players..

Many people on this planet can understand a little "English" which is the international language on lot of things (internet, sports, games, etc...).

So i find very easier for each of us to adopt this "common" language. 

I can understand people who are not fluent in English (like a french, languages ​​and me, it makes 2 ! :lol: ) but don't see this rule as a constraint but just a respect for all users.

We have lot of people in this world coming from different countries, i'm sure you'll can meet people and speak on your own language on PM.

And don't forget kindness, smile, respect and love are languages too !  ;)

PS : if my English teacher could read what I'm writing, she would have a heart attack !  :P

but don't see this rule as a constraint but just a respect for all users.

I'm sorry, but this issue has nothing to do with respect, and I feel that people who think it does are conflating two different things: people playing the game the way they want to play it and people harassing other players.

If two people are having a conversation in Local or World Chat about something that I don't understand or that I am not interested in, I just ignore it. End of story.

This happens all the time, when I hear people talking about other games they play or when they are bantering with their friends. Socializing is what Local and World Chat is for, and just because other people are talking about something I don't understand doesn't mean they are disrespecting me. 

And a conversation in a language I don't understand automatically falls into that category. Two people speaking in Russian sounds the same to me as two people talking about WoW or any other online game I have never played. I don't understand a word of it, but I don't have to, because it's not my conversation.

There are a lot of people who play this game differently from how I play it. But as long as they don't send me cold invites, spam me, harass me, or impersonate my friends, then as far as I'm concerned, they should do as they like. At least when it comes to the 3DX community, "live and let live" is all the respect I need. 

Well, i must admit "respect" was a too strong word.

I'm nothing to judge or blame anyone here. People can speak and say what they want of course (at the moment they don't spoil others players game of course) !

My bad if my previous left to think otherwise.  :wacko:

Just want to say is more easier to have a common language in world or local chat precisely because of the social part (specially think for newcomers this is better).

I remember when i started and i think i would have been confused if i didn't understand a little what was written on these chats because this is the first contact we have with the game and people, when we come in this world !

And now, even if i'm no longer a newbie, sometimes i still like to talk, meet and laugh on local or world chat.

That's why i prefer keep English language there, but this is only my opinion.  :)

Personally I'm astounded by how good peeps English is. There are some non native English speakers in the game who, frankly, can hold a conversation better than a lot of native speakers.

As a typical Brit who only speaks some high school French and Spanish I'm well impressed, love you all.

As most folks have said it's the rules and no one minds a little culture in public. Agree that as long as it doesn't dominate the chat it's all good :)

I speak several languages fluently, English is not my native language but I manage quite well. I can also dabble in French and German. And for the adventurous in here you can always talk to me in my mother tongue, Dutch. :)

I support the "spirit" of the rule in the sense that speaking in the same language makes it easier for people to communicate and build a community. Having people talk in public chat in different languages may make other people feel excluded.

I don't think we should enforce the "letter" of the rule 100% though. If someone is really struggling to use English then I'm fine with them switching to another language we both understand.

• 2 months later...

I agree that english should be the common language in world and local. But i dont think people should immediately try to apply the rules where a couple of phrases of non english are spoken there (as ive seen happen).

Tolerance and respect and proportionality are the principles we should apply rather than jump on someone for the odd snippet of non english.

Of course full conversations in world in other languages, which ive also seen happen clearly are against the rules.

• 4 months later...

I think this could be an issue and as a newbie here i have not seen much of it all yet, but i would say its best to go into a group chat or PM etc, in just the same way that a lot of conversation is better used in PM's haha!

I also think 3DX chat is better off for having just one world chat. Another well known online game uses different dimensions and it does seem to create multiple communities. 

• 3 years later...

This may be a dead topic if not let m e add my two cents worth...

Being that this is an international game played by many, should there not be a universal translator that one could use in game mode?

I go to great extremes to try and understand the native tongue of players that inter act with me, in trying to communicate in their native tongue I sometimes get  an amusing chuckle from the readers of my content and we go on to have much fun here.

But there is no excuse why Gizmo can not add a universal translator to the game, it would make life much easier here for us all. Oh by the way, try communicating in your potential partners native tongue and enjoy the jocularity that ensues.

Kisses and have fun and please get the servers back up  and running!