3DXChat Community

Language in public chat?

Jola

After another case of this today I start this tread to hear your opinion about the usage of mutual languages in public chats. (World and local chats)

For me it's a clear answer for this question. 

In my own arrogant opinion we all should use English in every PUBLIC! chat. It's just a fair thing, because we all speak different languages and most of us learned English. Sure some speak it better than others, but I experienced that players are very tolerant even you're not speaking perfect oxford English.

The usage of mother languages should be only used in private chats. In groups, at home or in pm, but in other chats it has to be English.

No, I'm not racist. English isn't my mother language and I often have to use a translation program. But ... in general English is the most international used language and why should it be different in this game, which also is international.

How are you thinking about this? I'm looking forward for your answers.  :) 

I agree with you Jola. But you really cant enforce this rule without someone monitoring local and world chat. And there are some people who cant speak english at all so that is also a problem. They want to find people who speak same language as them and way to do it is through world chat ^^. It would be much easier if you could somehow filter people by language they speak.  

Guest Cassidy

After another case of this today I start this tread to hear your opinion about the usage of mutual languages in public chats. (World and local chats)

In my own arrogant opinion we all should use English in every PUBLIC! chat. It's just a fair thing, because we all speak different languages and most of us learned English. Sure some speak it better than others, but I experienced that players are very tolerant even you're not speaking perfect oxford English.

The usage of mother languages should be only used in private chats. In groups, at home or in pm, but in other chats it has to be English.

No, I'm not racist. English isn't my mother language and I often have to use a translation program. But ... in general English is the most international used language and why should it be different in this game, which also is international.

What I think is that everyone are entitledto speak their own language wherever they want, since it could be part of a roleplay.

Noone complains about the direwolf sex roleplay tat goes on in world chat, so therefore we should not complain about language in local or world

They want to find people who speak same language as them and way to do it is through world chat ^^. 

I'm not talking about a sentence or two to ask if there are players who are speaking same languages. 

I'm mostly talking about those players who use it for longer going group conversations in local chats. They are rare at the moment, but happen more often as it seems. And well ... isn't it that all of us agreed to the rules once by joining the game?

I made the experience that people excused when they were using their mother language and you hint at the rules. But sadly there are more players who begin arguing about the Why? and Who says so? and so on. 

This is just annoying. 

Where would we end, if everyone speaks another language in public chats? It will be just confusing and might lead to people getting more silent as they already are. Or one language will be only spoken because many people are using it. But at the moment it's English and it also should be this, because English is international.

I agree too :)

But I'm also very tolerant! When a member can't write English and ask for Chat partners in his Language or some words in the mother Language isn't a problem for me!

But chat in public in the mother Language is wrong, when all do this then we have fast a big chaos.

For chat with the mother Language is the PM & Group Chat very good ;)

2.23. The use of any other language besides English is forbidden in all public chats.

This is in rules. From what I seen today when pointed out people started to be offended and started attacking us in english.

It's just tiny bit respect towards others.

I am not native speaker and so isn't most of people here but how would it look if every small community started to speak in local and world in their own language ?

3 people in japanese, 5 germans, 10 russians, few frenchies, etc. Soon no one could follow chats and It would be one big mess. I saw it happen in other games.

If you are 3 people on beach with 15 others, just show some consideration and create group chat there's no excuse for not doing that.

I ofcourse don't mind simple things in world or local like - asking if anyone speaks in their language but hour long conversations ... just no.

Rule : 2.23. The use of any other language besides English is forbidden in all public chats.

I think that makes it pretty clear. I understand the odd sentence in a foreign language but whole conversations is not acceptable. But then again, whats the point in the rules if no one monitors the chats..

Yeah i agree long chats in different languages are bad. But problem is if someone can barely understand english then they cant read the rules  :D . I know that is not an excuse. Bigger problem is how do you want to enforce it? I dont think that most people will bother taking a screenshot and reporting it everytime somebody refuses to speak english in chat.

Guest Cassidy

I must have missed something, people BARELY even talk in local, why are people getting annoyed with a problem that does not exist? 

Creating drama where there are none to be found?

I must have missed something, people BARELY even talk in local, why are people getting annoyed with a problem that does not exist? 

Creating drama where there are none to be found?

I don't want to attack you, but it seems you've always been at the wrong place. It happened during the last week several times. Maybe you're not following public chat all time long, what I'm also not doing, but it happens that people have conversations in their mother languages which is sort of annoying. That's what we (finally) got groupchat for. 

As mentioned before it would lead to mess and chaos if everyone talks in their own language in public chats. And I think it's part of the community to have a look at this all together, since our development seems not to care much about sticking to rules or not. (Just my impression)

Just my two cents...

Point #1  During the time I have played, I have met many other players from other countries.  I know a few that don't speak much, if any, English.  Many others have just a novice understanding of the language. Some of them walk through the game in silence. Others find players who speak the same language and confine themselves to those circles.  Still, we have had some wild times with a bottle of baby oil and Google Translate.  I believe it would further isolate those players who are not confident English users.

Point #2  Recently, I have thought about leaving the game (totally separate reasons).  The one thing that brings me back online is the social interaction with people (admittedly in fantasy form) who I would not normally meet in real life.  They are interesting, fun, and work my cooch in just the right way.  I would suggest that with the game struggling to entertain players, enable social interactions, and retain existing players, that dampening any part of communication would not be a good idea at this time.  As a matter of fact, I would suggest MORE effort be focused upon promoting social interactions.  The community has done a fantastic job, but they can only take this game so far.

On the other hand.....

I do not like it when local is being monopolized by a conversation between two players...no matter what the language.  You want to talk to the whole room, go for it.  You want to talk to one person, send a PM.

-Ariamma

Well, I am one of those players who do not understand English, they are forced to serve in a part of google. I always tried to write in English and tried to figure it out. If I have a conversation, start by explaining that I do not know the language well, it all depends from the other person if he is willing to continue or not. 

Clear that for me is a limit, but since I decided to play, I also decided to undergo the rules of the game! 

Boys more understanding for all

Although English is my native language, I have never agreed with Rule 2.23 and don't feel that a proper rationale for it has ever been presented. Moreover, I have seen this rule used to harass people who were simply greeting others in their native language, so even though it is "a rule," I don't think it should be interpreted or enforced too strictly. Of course, lately it is not enforced at all, so it's a moot point.

I personally think that people should speak in whatever language they want to use in World and Local chat. Restrictions on what is said in Local and World chat should focus on avoiding spam and allowing all players an equal opportunity to participate. We have all seen plenty of stupid conversations in English in Local and World chat, I'm sure. I think the focus should be on respecting the community, not on what language is being spoken.

*shrug* 

As an english-only speaker, I don't have any problems with anyone using their mother language in world or local. go for it, I say! I think some english (or other language) speakers feel left out sometimes, but that's their problem, if you ask me. I don't feel offended if someone else speaks their native language in a public place. 

But hey, if it's a rule, it's a rule. I don't really agree with it though, and I share SageStoner's point of view, here. *nod*

I totally agree with you, I agree with every word. But again, everything stops only at the discussion ... until the whole community (the conscious part) starts to act (make screenshots, send complaints administrators), then nothing will budge. Many players in this game still remember the moderators work, it was very simple - complained to the moderators (showing screenshot), a person was banned. Now the game has no moderators and no one but us will correct this situation, if it is idle each and we will discuss this topic over and over again, endlessly. I think some of us just a little bit lazy, some do not care about this situation, some players simply add these people to the black list (using the ignore button) .... this is my opinion, I do not blame anyone and do not want to blame ... and if suddenly have a question that I did for this, I use the ignore button for these people :)

Maybe it is the fact of growing up in a party of America where I was surrounded by many cultures and being exposed to many different languages or being around my Grandparents when they spoke Italian to their brothers, sisters and own parents instead of English. Walking into a room and hearing French, Spanish, German, Russian, ect only sparks my interest more. I wil say I found it very rude when an Italian man walked into the room and only asked in Italian if any one else here spoke it, only to have three people start to tell him English only or get out, that is just rude. Any was my vote is never enforce one language only for public channels, share your world with others, it does not belong to you any was.

Besides; Même jurer en français est comme s'essuyer le cul avec de la soie.

It doesn't really bother me tbh it doesn't happen a great deal and normally just greetings or the odd sentence or two. Though there is one player on particular who claims not to speak English. When a close friend of mine asked of she could use English in local she increased the use of her mother tongue just to wind him up then on top if it used bad language in English to insult him. It's the players like her who do it deliberately to get people backs up that should be dealt with. The odd greeting or two no problem. I'm English speaking but I will greet my friends in their own language from time to time which I don't see a problem with

I agree with practically all of us and I try to do my best for people sometimes to understand that rule  :P

if I can speak in the mother language of a person always I try to take that one in PM and quickly and simply I explain the rules or in a simple english to be sure to be understood.

but the best, I think for all newbies in game, it's to read profile. Most of us say our own location and for others (like me  :D ) who's not telling their own we put in the profile the different languages we speak that's a good way to avoid this problem.

I think like that we can be OK with all, no necessary to annoy people with the rules numbers like some do but just be kind and explain it simply.

the community can do that without Mods sure we're all adults and with a little of comprehension and some kindness you can be sure to obtain all that we are expected.  :unsure:

I don't think anyone have problem with line or two like greeting or simple question.

I think problem is with people  - 2 or 3 of them speaking in their own language in crowded area and then getting offensive about it. I saw it few times during last 2 weeks or so.

to solve this problem I propose to speak only french! its a good idea no? :D  :D

More seriously, i think we need really a new tchat..

Bobi you made ​​me smile :D  , I think we do not need a new chat , I believe that we all need to start with ourselves , to realize what we do and how it affects the other , we must begin to respect themselves and others , then I think this problem is solveditself .Because people who do not respect themselves , they will never respect others  :)

lyrics:

Respect yourself

Change your mind

Respect yourself

Dont be blind

Respect yourself

And you will see the light 

Respect yourself

And you will find your way

So practise what you pray

Dont run away

Respect yourself 

Respect yourself

Respect yourself

And you will see the light 

If you are feeling weak so deep inside

No place to run, no place to hide

R. E. S. P. E. C. T

Respect your destiny 

If you dont know what is right or wrong

If you feel confused and your thoughts are gone

R. E. S. P. E. C. T

Respect yourself, be free 

Dont care about what people say

Believe in yourself and go your own way

Respect - no resignation

Leave the path of isolation 

Dont care about what people say

R.E.S.P.E.C.T , will never get away

Today, we stay, and pay attention anyway

Fairplay, everyday dont run away 

You dont know, no, what you dont know

Like the colours of the rainbow

Respect is the name of the game

Respect yourself and you never miss your aim 

If you gonna show weakness

You gotta let them know

You dont know, no, what you dont know

If you really wanna grow, say no just go

I don't think anyone have problem with line or two like greeting or simple question.

I think problem is with people  - 2 or 3 of them speaking in their own language in crowded area and then getting offensive about it. I saw it few times during last 2 weeks or so.

Yes, this.

Same goes for clique speak, especially now we have group chat.