3DXChat Community

My screen is freezing randomly but the game continues to run >_<

illiJinx

Hey there, So as the title says I'm having some random screen freezing and I'm at a loss now v_v It happens more often then not and it can even happen, right after I load into the game, without having used my laptop the entire day (never happened doing a loading screen though) So i doubt that it's due to over-heating but more on that, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to what is what within my laptop etc (do know a few things.. but yeea..)

Laptop specs (I think, please let me know if more is needed.)

Windows 10

Processor Intel® Core i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz
2.40 GHz
Processor speed: 2394 MHz
Intel® Graphics 4400
Physical memory: 4026 MB
Installed RAM 4GB
system type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

here is what I've tried to do to fix the issue that I'm having v_v
Checked for driver updates, installed any driver updates that was available
Cleaned my laptop both in and out (CCealner in and best i could on the outside)
Changed my dedicated memory/virtual memory (up'd it)
Changed my power usage to try and prevent overheating/powering it up a tad more, both failed. (though it didn't feel that hot)
Lower my in-game settings to low etc (used medium/high before this happened)
Did a regedit uninstalling/reinstalling of the game.
Tried launching it from the original exe file.
Tried running it as an administrator with and without running it in windows 7 compatibility mode.
and I believe that is what I've tried to fix this issue v_v so any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I see two issues here:

Intel® Graphics 4400
(Onboard GPU?)

Physical memory: 4026 MB
(Means, that your GPU needs 1GB or 2GB from your ram)

EDIT: googled it and yes, i believe it is - and Is there a way to "fix" it? 

Since you're using a laptop? One thing you can do is to buy more Ram. Not sure if you can upgrade your ram (It's different from model to model). 

But there's no guarantee it may work.

Also:

Close programms you don't need. Skype, Chrome, Discord, Telegram or whatever is running.

Hmmm... Not 100% sure.

It may work but your fans have to spin faster because of the heat.

uhmm, My old laptop used to get way! hotter then this one gets from playing the game, worth a shot i think however I'll still look into getting more ram if possible 

The issue you're experiencing is not because of your laptop whatsoever. I had the same problem occur within my game and become worse over time, something like a memory leak. I'm quite tech savvy and tried everything I could think of, with a much more powerful system than yours, by the way. I eventually concluded that the only reasonable fix would be a clean reinstall of the entire OS (and other software), since even manual registry edits pertaining to the game didn't help. But even then, I can't guarantee the bug wouldn't resurface, since I couldn't discern what caused the freezing to begin with.

I was an avid player for about 2 years, during which time I heard of a couple other people having the issue. To my knowledge, neither was able to find a solution and both have since left the forums as well.

As for your laptop: its processor is not K series, and therefore cannot be overclocked. However, it will already boost from 1.7GHz to 2.4GHz as needed. Overclocking factory RAM, especially in a laptop, is not a good idea, as this will greatly reduce its lifespan and make barely any notable difference in performance. Buying more RAM (if your laptop model supports it) can be generally helpful when running multiple applications and programs at once. However, I will reiterate, the freezing issue is not because of your laptop's hardware. Even a dedicated graphics card, running the game at much higher frame rate, would not solve your problem. Nor is anything overheating.

Wish I had better advice, but this stopped me playing about 2 years ago :(

Overclocking is not recommended. It's not wise to put your hardware at risk to squeeze out an extra few % of performance that will be barely noticeable.

Your GPU and Ram are your issues and chances are that you will not be able to easily upgrade those without replacing at least the board... which also means new cpu etc. You would be better off with a new pc.

Nothing against overclocking or those that do it but it's really not smart to push your hardware past safe operating limits for minimal improvement.

Your core is fine and plenty capable of playing this game.  Your motherboards Intel grafics can handle it as well. So unless one or the other is on the verge of death, this should not be happening.  Does this problem occur in other games you play? Or is it just 3dxchat?

I play occasionally on a tablet with 2 gigs less ram and a  intel atom processor.  It works fine on low and medium. The only real problem is sometimes it gets extremely hot. When it does the thermal throttling starts and sometimes i get freezes and glitches and disconnects. But that is usually after awhile playing. Not at the initial loading screen. Your specs are much better then my poor tablet. so from a hardware perspective this should not be happening!

It could be Windows is corrupt as Maelstrom said. It could be the newest build of the game just does not like your pc. It could be lots of things. 

It could also be a software conflict. There is a few programs that can cause this. Sometimes some system monitoring programs and or anti virus could be the culprit when you get freezes and frame stuttering/drops in game.

Try retracing your steps. Did you install anything new since this started happening? Any new updates to intel onboard grafics? Any new window updates or antivirus stuff.  Can try opening Taskmanager and killing any and all unneeded process including any anti virus and monitoring software and see if that helps. Could also try rebooting in safe mode and try running the game with no background processes active. 

Could run Malwarebytes and see if you have a nasty virus or something as well.

At worst case scenario windows 10 is easy as heck to reset. Could always try backing up your stuff and resetting to a clean system. If that don't work and your not having any trouble with other games  then its probably 3dxchat that is just being a bitch with your system. Happens sometimes. 

When i had this problem on my main gaming pc with sickenly good specs. It was do to running a bad version on EVGA precision XOC. GPU monitoring software. It took me forever to diagnose. also had the same exact problem with MSI after burner a few months later. It could be a  borked driver. A borked program. A app . Anything really. Only way to find if its a actual software conflict is to start fresh and clean and begin installing your fav programs one by one and testing the game after each install.   

Goodluck though... May the force be with you! Hope you figure it out and your pc is not on verge of death. :x

Sorry for the delay in reply and thanks for all the suggestions on what could cause the issue ^_^Ahem!

I tried overclocking it xD Wasn't able and I'm honestly glad it wasn't after reading some of the comments here xD

I reset my OS not to long ago, before i installed the game again and wiped everything and the only thing i installed before the game was spotify along with Chrome etc. Nothing big that might cause issues (far as i know) 

I tried closing everything before launching the game, everything i know isn't important and i also tried a program called game booster which should do the same thing, still got the freezing screen, Also tried capping my fps to 30 within the game.

I don't usually play games on my laptop so have no idea if it'll run other games without the freezing, However i have had 3dx installed on this very laptop before (earlier 2.0 build and the old version of 3dx) both ran perfectly without any freezings, some bugs though within the earlier version but nothing on the pc side.

I used to be able to play at least the old version of 3dx on high/extremely high in low pop areas etc. So I'm thinking if it's not the specs that is the issue for the freezing at least, Then it might be the new version mixed with something within my laptop or maybe the windows I've got, got some kind of issue running it or a mix of both - like i mentioned I'm not big on how it all works, Just taking in what the comments have suggested :o

Sorry for the delay in reply and thanks for all the suggestions on what could cause the issue ^_^Ahem!

I tried overclocking it xD Wasn't able and I'm honestly glad it wasn't after reading some of the comments here xD

I reset my OS not to long ago, before i installed the game again and wiped everything and the only thing i installed before the game was spotify along with Chrome etc. Nothing big that might cause issues (far as i know) 

I tried closing everything before launching the game, everything i know isn't important and i also tried a program called game booster which should do the same thing, still got the freezing screen, Also tried capping my fps to 30 within the game.

I don't usually play games on my laptop so have no idea if it'll run other games without the freezing, However i have had 3dx installed on this very laptop before (earlier 2.0 build and the old version of 3dx) both ran perfectly without any freezings, some bugs though within the earlier version but nothing on the pc side.

I used to be able to play at least the old version of 3dx on high/extremely high in low pop areas etc. So I'm thinking if it's not the specs that is the issue for the freezing at least, Then it might be the new version mixed with something within my laptop or maybe the windows I've got, got some kind of issue running it or a mix of both - like i mentioned I'm not big on how it all works, Just taking in what the comments have suggested :o

Side note, my laptop doesn't even get that hot compared to my old one.

EDIT: My CPU (No idea if that has anything to do with my GPU xD) doesn't seem that stressed about running 3dx, had a look on the task manager while running the game in windowed mode etc. I went into the character editor to test it out and my CPU was running pretty steady at around 10-15% (mostly staying at 11%) along with my memory being pretty steady no jumps for a good while, However i did notice that my CPU went up and down before the freeze, though the jumps where very low and after that my screen was frozen (only 3dx's window and the sound was still running, So the game didn't crash etc.) 

EDIT: Did install CCleaner and Driver Booster after 3dx, but that's it.

I barely have anything installed on this after the hard-reset

Nymphpott really covered everything in her post. I went through all the relevant steps she mentioned when trying to diagnose the random freezing myself:

Disabed MSI Afterburner

Killed background programs and other applications

Turned off my antivirus

Ran CCleaner and Malwarebytes

Updated all of my drivers

Edited several dozen registry keys

Booted into safe mode and ran the game by itself

Can be a nightmare to find the cause of such problems, especially when only a single game or app seems affected. The only thing I didn't try was a clean reinstall of my entire system, followed by the game, then adding potentially conflicting programs one by one. That's not really a viable option for me, but hopefully that will fix your problem, if all else fails :) Good luck indeed!