3DXChat Community

Cooler fan loud

HanSolo

Hi,

when I play the game, the coolers of my PC get very loud. It's an AMD Phenom X6 1055T with 2.80 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Radeon HD 5700, Windows 7 64bit.

I have set the screen resolution to 1024 x 768, quality LOW, windowed.

Are there any tipps for the game settings to be gentle on resources so that my hardware isn't demanded to its limits?

Guest Suikazura

Turn on vertical sync. This will match your frame rate with the refresh of your monitor. This game, for some reason, will do it's best to destroy your hardware, if you don't "throttle it back". Once you turn on vertical sync you can probably max out your video settings so the game is a pretty as it is supposed to be.

I know for Nvidia they also have "1/2 refresh rate" vertical sync, which is what I run (I have a fast refresh rate monitor). Even then some areas can still push my cards to 80%+ usage at just 30fps. My 2-285GTX cards, running sli, are pretty old, but still do a good job, so can't see replacing them just yet.

Many thanks for the tipp and the link to the tutorial!

The graphics card is not on its limits anymore, the coolers are much more silent now. That really helped a lot. The gaming is more relaxing now and I am sure it's better for the hardware too.

Many stock/commercial systems use stock coolers because it's cheap.  As a result, the fans have to work a lot harder to keep the cpu's cool.  The same is true with the older AMD/ATI Radeon video cards.  The stock cooling solutions were nothing short of horrid and sounded like vacuum cleaners.

First I would determine if it's the video card fan or the cpu fan.  You can temporarily stop them while the game is running to determine which one is making the most noise.   If it's the CPU (And Phenum X6 put out a lot of heat), then you can try to upgrade a stock CPU cooler for $30->$40.

Your video card is roughly ~5 years old (if I remember correctly).  Graphics card power is doubling every 18 months, so your card runs at ~1/8 the speed of new units at the same cost.  

You can easily get one that out performs it for $100 and runs a lot cooler and offers more graphics features.  (Like the Radeon HD7770 / R7 250X if you liked AMD/ATI)

I wouldn't dump a ton of cash (>$100) on a new card though.  After a while your CPU becomes the bottle neck and your graphics card will sit waiting for the CPU to catch up.  The new card is a stop gap solution till you are ready to upgrade again.

Many thanks for your posting Johnathan. I will check everything out and then consider exchanging some components in my PC. Best would probably be to upgrade the CPU + cooler and the graphics card. I think the PC is 3 or 4 years old. It works very silent as long as i don't start a game or graphic intense application.

Hey guys! We have added FPS Limit option to the settings menu (FPS - Frame Per Second)

By default it's set to 60 FPS. We recommend to use this value.

You can set to 30 FPS if you have any troubles with performance or you have not so fast video card.

Also you can use No limit option to get max FPS. Use this option for benchmarking your PC only. We are not recommend to use this for gameplay.