3DXChat Community

Want to become a DJ?

Gizmo

Let's take the example of a bar. Most bars have background music IRL, due to atmosphere. Who foots the cost for that? The bar owner. Even if you have a jukebox for customers to pay for songs they would like playing, the bar owner still pays the licensing costs.

I know 3DX is advertised as a sex game, but it is obvious that music is a very important part of 3DX otherwise this thread wouldn't have started in the first place. If SDG are serious they will provide the licensing and stop expecting its users to keep this game interesting. Start helping out the users who give people a reason to keep paying their sub.

I hope that answers your question Sage.

Well, you do touch on something of the same issue, but no, it doesn't answer the questions I asked. I asked specifically about what happened in the past when players first started DJing in public maps. 

Guest Mulan

Well, you do touch on something of the same issue, but no, it doesn't answer the questions I asked. I asked specifically about what happened in the past when players first started DJing in public maps. 

I don't know what happened in the past. The facts now are that Gizmo is asking people to DJ in public rooms. It doesn't matter how public DJing came about, my point stands, music is an important part of 3DX and I would argue it keeps more returning customers to 3DX than the sex ever will. The sex gets people to buy the first month, after that it is thanks to events, music, and friends, otherwise, most people would quit after their first month.

For the owners to say, "this is a sex game, nothing more, we don't and will not provide music for public locations, deal with it."

Then whole discussion is closed, it's their choice, we just have to accept it. All complaints are then easily rebuffed. Just accept the no music, or potentially some ad filled generic radios.

This is actually one of the points I had intended to lead to. So, brava. 

As far as I can see, the ability to stream music, either publicly or privately was instituted at the insistence of the players and was never a part of SDG's original concept. Some players felt so strongly about it that they paid for their own licensing in the beginning. Now it has become so expensive that they can't afford to pay for it individually, so they are trying to create a "moral" issue through which they can bully SDG into paying for licensing.

The problem with that strategy is, there is no motivation for SDG to pay the additional costs. 

Frankly, I think it would be far more effective for the DJs to organize themselves, set up crowd-sourcing through which 3DX players could all contribute something if they wanted to, and do it the way Gizmo has offered.

Except that that would require someone to take the initiative in organizing a group of forward-thinking people who would make a commitment to look for a solution.  

As I recall there were several very popular events that had DJs even before Achilles got involved, and that his major involvement came about after Bran and the other in-game Mods quit.  Is my memory faulty in that respect?

Never refuted that, just pointed out that those flourished from that moment. I invite you to have a look in Events&Activities, years 2013 and 2014 ... The difference of events pre and post march 2014 (month where mods quit), along with the difference of event organizers.

Anyway, that's besides the point.

Did the players request for public dj'ing ? or did the chief-mod work it out on her own with the developpment ? I'd love to have some clearance on that.

I cannot remember any active insistence from playerbase in that order.

Did SDG at any point ever promise to pay for licensing?  Why wasn't this issue resolved before people agreed to DJ? And, if people agreed to DJ at their own expense previously, why are they now saying that SDG should start paying? These questions have yet to be discussed sufficiently. 

Now that is in jeopardy because the game doesn't protect that system, from the upcoming in-built download option.

So just like nobody asked those djs to provide anything, nobody is forcing 3Dx to do anything in the end. It remains their choice.

They just have to face the music for it :P

No one said they ever promised anything. But they now decide to turn a somewhat blind eye to a beneficial free service on the back of members, not actively willing to help them block those in-built addons.

Why now and not before? Because game grows, circumstances change, material changed to provide better service, laws get stricter, the download button didn't exist then... So you have to adapt yourself accordingly.

You seem to be wanting to argue only for the sake of arguing, so in another example, one asks for intelligence and respect one day, and fails to present it the next day. Happens.

You adapt, especially if you are running a serious business.

You have it for free, so even if you don't want to pay for it, and nobody asked you to pay for it, at least help protect it and don't turn a blind eye. (that's cost free)

From the bug report topic :

I tend to agree with you, but on the other hand, I do think that being able to listen to the same music as the other people in the room does enhance the experience.

If I don't like the music, I will just listen to my own, without complaint. But I do think it is rather stupid to be using a geo-locked radio station in a public room, which is the situation now in Sin Club. I like the music that station plays, but I can't listen to it unless I set my VPN to an access point in the US.

SGD never promised you a none geo-locked radio station. Yes you listen to something else, but why bother calling it stupid here ? Maybe you don't request it to be changed, but it's what's implied, as it would be a better experience. This discussion is the same to an extent.

Again, they could easily say, we do not wish to provide ad-free music or public dj'ing. Deal with it.  Which they do not, and want to keep benefiting from the feature, without investing anything, and going through some fishy methods. Can't have the cake and eat it too.

You seem to be wanting to argue only for the sake of arguing

Really? What part of my first post today was arguing for the sake of arguing?

The fact of the matter is that some of what you are arguing for is valid, but some of it is just plain wonky. 

The bit about the modded dlls that allow people to record streams is a red herring at best. That is like saying that YouTube should be responsible for shutting down other websites that allow people to save YouTube videos as mp3s. 

You wrote: "You have it for free, so even if you don't want to pay for it, and nobody asked you to pay for it, at least help protect it and don't turn a blind eye. (that's cost free)"  

What the heck is that supposed to mean? As much as I would like to agree with you, nothing anyone has said in this thread convinces me that SDG has any obligation to pay for licensing for public DJs.