Photo

Character Name Cost

character creation cost xgold new

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: Character Name Cost (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Should creating a new character still require XGold?

1. Yes (18 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. Voted No (23 votes [38.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.33%

3. Allow the option of verifying the availability on names (19 votes [31.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 RobT

RobT

Troll Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:39 PM

Alts should be free. Maybe somebody created an alt to escape harassment or start afresh. I don't think it's right people should have to either wait until they have sufficient x-gold - maximum of just over a month of logging in daily, quit 3dx or pay extra money. From what I recall there was not a plague of rogue alts "mindfucking" as people are so keen to say.

that is one thing i will agree with, they should have been kept free however those days are gone. Why would any company start charging for something and then just remove said charge. plus if i want an alt, 10k isnt going to stop me from getting it, nor is it going to stop countless others. this was half about people complaining and half about making extra money which is understandable, thats why they are here.  wasnt just them outraged over someone getting feelings hurt or being fucked over.

• Athene likes this

#22 Sage Stoner

Sage Stoner

Scallywag and Rapscallion Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • LocationTokyo Japan

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:15 PM

actually  character cost is exactly about an alt since the first one is  free with the account, thats why its called an alternate,

Sophistry, thy name is RobT.  If you were half as smart as you think you are, you would only comment when you had something to contribute to the conversation.

#23 RobT

RobT

Troll Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:22 PM

sticks and stones will break my bones but dirty old men who troll parks will never hurt me

*edited for athene and Doll*

• Doll likes this

#24 Doll

Doll

Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • LocationIn my little bubble

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:34 PM

Play nicely or thou shalt be banned :D there's a place in my thread for everyone you know
  • AnyNameWillDo likes this

#25 Athene

Athene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:35 PM

Can you guys NOT get this thread locked, lol.

I agree with the 10k XGold charge being stupid and that they're not going to revoke it. It wouldn't make sense to, even though it didn't, personally, make enough sense to implement it to begin with. I think one of the woes right now in making a character is the lack of verifying the name you want is available. At least this way you know what you're getting stuck with and don't need to spend more $$ to fix it... 

I've been one for wanting the XGold charge revoked, but that battle is not going to be won. Let's see if we can find something that meets us halfway, at least?

• Doll and RobT like this

#26 RobT

RobT

Troll Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:35 PM

Play nicely or thou shalt be banned :D there's a place in my thread for everyone you know

ok, sorry :P

• Doll likes this

#27 RobT

RobT

Troll Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:36 PM

Can you guys NOT get this thread locked, lol.

I agree with the 10k XGold charge being stupid and that they're not going to revoke it. It wouldn't make sense to, even though it didn't, personally, make enough sense to implement it to begin with. I think one of the woes right now in making a character is the lack of verifying the name you want is available. At least this way you know what you're getting stuck with and don't need to spend more $$ to fix it... 

I've been one for wanting the XGold charge revoked, but that battle is not going to be won. Let's see if we can find something that meets us halfway, at least?

i will edit my response athene to be nice  and so doll doesnt ban me

• Doll likes this

#28 AnyNameWillDo

AnyNameWillDo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:38 PM

Said with authority, Doll. You made me sit up straight just reading it XD

• Doll likes this

#29 Doll

Doll

Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:40 PM

ok, sorry :P

Not just aimed at you Rob...Doll wields a broad brush lol

But anyway...since it's late and I'm grumpy alts seem mostly for the duplicitous...happy to accede exceptions before I get flamed...see broad brush comment above ok :P I say try just sticking with one avi always...face your successes and your failures as a person equally...and head on.

Edit - is slightly worried by the idea of having any authority lol

Also edit - I see the point about general having fun with silly alts etc when not used for evil...seems petty to charge for that but I think the devs were responding to the underbelly of their use...misguidedly mebbe.
  • Twiggy, Athene and AnyNameWillDo like this

#30 RobT

RobT

Troll Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:41 PM

But anyway...since it's late and I'm grumpy alts seem mostly for the duplicitous...happy to accede exceptions before I get flamed...see broad brush comment above ok :P I say try just sticking with one avi always...face your successes and your failures as a person equally...and head on.

i will protect you,  porcelain one

• Doll likes this

#31 RobT

RobT

Troll Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:45 PM

Edit - is slightly worried by the idea of having any authority lol

They can also be fun, sometimes they get a bad name because a select few use them for shady reasons

• Doll and AnyNameWillDo like this

#32 Doll

Doll

Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:56 PM

They can also be fun, sometimes they get a bad name because a select few use them for shady reasons

Yeah just edited to kinda say the same...that's a fair point...I feel like restricting it was a response to the storm of forum...I'll use the word "discussion"...around people messing with others using alts. I know the dedicated will always find a way to cause harm but I kinda always support anything that makes it less easy even if it means it restricts me. It's like airport security right lol...ok maybe not.

#33 Sage Stoner

Sage Stoner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • LocationTokyo Japan

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:58 PM

alts seem mostly for the duplicitous..

Yeah, that's me. As anyone can see from my profile pic.

And this pretty much sums up what this issue is about. I am not saying that there are no bad apples, but the vast majority of players here have more than one character and are open about who their characters are, but a much smaller group of individuals insists that "alts are mostly for the duplicitous." Thanks so much.

• Athene likes this

#34 Doll

Doll

Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:05 PM

Yeah, that's me. As anyone can see from my profile pic.

And this pretty much sums up what this issue is about. I am not saying that there are no bad apples, but the vast majority of players here have more than one character and are open about who their characters are, but a much smaller group of individuals insists that "alts are mostly for the duplicitous." Thanks so much.

As I said broad brush...and mostly...and observation by proxy is my only evidence. I've heard much more about people being duplicitous than I have about those that play nicely...I cannot say sir into which camp you might fall without extensive study :)

As for majorities vast or otherwise...no evidence for that or to the contrary...I'm all about gut feeling me sorry

And I almost never insist...:P

#35 Sage Stoner

Sage Stoner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • LocationTokyo Japan

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:34 PM

As I said broad brush...and mostly...and observation by proxy is my only evidence. I've heard much more about people being duplicitous than I have about those that play nicely...I cannot say sir into which camp you might fall without extensive study :)

As for majorities vast or otherwise...no evidence for that or to the contrary...I'm all about gut feeling me sorry

And I almost never insist... :P

So you basically admit you are opining from ignorance? Great. In which case, where does "painting with a broad brush" end and "perpetuating stereotypes" begin?

And that is my whole point. This thread was never about whether people use alts to be duplicitous or not. It was about how to make the current system easier to use. Until it was hijacked by those with an "everybody should just use one character" agenda, that is.

• Athene likes this

#36 RobT

RobT

Troll Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:46 PM

actually the thread was about the fact that alts should be free but dont let facts get in the way of an argument. Some people feel they shouldnt be due to the fact people abused them and voiced it. Its called voicing an opinion in a open forum discussion. now if that hurts someones elses vagina by stating it, not their problem,

b97b851daceb45d4913a383e329d7c98.png

• Doll likes this

#37 Shanti

Shanti

𝔅𝔬𝔰𝔰𝑦 𝔅𝔦𝔠𝔥𝔢

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • LocationASSylum

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:51 PM

If what I have been told is correct soon after that thread a friend of one of the forum mods had trouble where an alt was miss used, because of that and the threads that continued to be posted discussions were held between the 4 forum mods on what could be done.

They decided the best solution would be to have a charge for the 2nd and 3rd avi slots and put that forward to the devs.

There are quite a lot of people that still feel the coloured names will have been the best solution.

I still don't understand why when there had been threads on the subject going where very much the majority of who agreed something needed to be done agreed the coloured name option to be the best option, why is it that the mods chose to do something else.

This is ridiculous.

As a matter of fact, I know exactly where you are trying to shift the blame, but let me make some things clear :

ForumMods were just that ForumMods, handling the forum issues when it needed to be, not making decisions on how fix the game because of forum issues.

ForumMods didn't have discussion on how to fix their friends' personal issues within the game.

ForumMods never decided that a cost for alts was the best solution at hand.

ForumMods did however sometimes point admins towards threads that needed action or involvement from them.

Little bit of history, so I'm gonna bounce from Camden's post (thanks Camden for making me think of that topic).

IgnoreSystem was changed from account block to character block, along with the alt cost.

Why was the Ignore changed ? It was not simply about people ignoring one to find out who were the other two alts.

Here you said it yourself, and it's a fact :

Edm7KWL.png

It was changed back due to : Ignore System

On the poll, you can see that Gizmo was already trying to find solutions against "mindfuckers", due to threads on forum, reports.. not because mods pushed their own agenda about their friend dilemnas.

There has been a lot of threads in the past on alts and being able to distinct an alt from a main avi.

There was one in particular where coloring the alts names above our avis different to that of our main avis.

It was argued strongly by both sides with a number of other suggestions being put forward.

The colored names was the most accepted as being the best way to lesson the problem of miss use of alts.

Any suggestions however were strongly argued against by people who simply did not want any change.

It was suggested that coloring the names would be an invasion of privacy and would cause witch hunts to see who owned that alt.

There are quite a lot of people that still feel the coloured names will have been the best solution.

Charging for 2nd and 3rd avis has had an effect but I believe that coloured names will have done much more.

This is nothing but wishful thinking, and biased comment. A lot did agree with you that it could be a solution, but just as much, if not more, disagreed with you.  So besides you wanting this to be implemented absolutely, doesnt equal to it being the "best solution". It's all about perspective.

Ignore System was changed back (and thank god it was). Yet alt cost is still here. I always believed it was a temporary fix that would be removed but here we are, over a year later. 

It is what it is, and it doesn't bother me, but I don't think it's right to add a fee to something that was free to begin with, and helped promote the game.

I always had my main character, + 2 toons, and I never paid a cost for them, so I don't think as paying customers of the same product, any newcomers should be met with it. The cost didn't change anything to "mindfuckery", besides making a very few mindfuckers try to find new ways about it. On the other hand, it removed a lot from community, from which vast majority isn't harmful.

I fully support that there should be a way to check availability, for example, I don't know, typing first few letters would bring in a list of names beginning same way, or whatever else. There is a fee to it, so it's to be expected to give us more guarantee then overcharge people on some potential typos. Same applies to the game gifts, that you cannot check before sending, or aren't even stopped when the characters limit is reached. Quite silly.

Also I think something very important, and I hope admins will read it.

Character cost was introduced by the development team as "a solution to mindfuckery". So I think it's a bit contradictory when  said solution is then helped by cheaper Xgold deals on BlackFriday and CyberMonday events. I understand the need to bring in money for the game, but I don't think you can be on both sides of the coin here.

• Chilles, Camden, Maxxim and 5 others like this

#38 Nymphpott

Nymphpott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • LocationCanada, Montreal

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:18 AM

Should be free. 

Like the good old days. 

Was fun making alts whenever we wanted. Ironically i met a few people in this thread for the first time on a alt at some roleplay event 3 years ago. For me Alts have never been a problem. 

• Shanti, Sage Stoner, Maxxim and 3 others like this

#39 Sage Stoner

Sage Stoner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • LocationTokyo Japan

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:35 AM

actually the thread was about the fact that alts should be free but dont let facts get in the way of an argument.

In fact, the thread is about the cost of characters as well as having a way to verify whether or not a particular name is available.

But we all know that you will never let facts get in the way of your trolling, either, so what the hey.

• Athene likes this

#40 Twiggy

Twiggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:42 AM

Shanti

Why make the comment that Gizmo was trying to find a solution to the alts problem in that post as a defence on you having nothing to do with it.

That post was started after the 10k charge was for 2nd and 3rd avis was added, not before, that decision had already been made and added to the game.

I have been told by different people who's integrity and honesty I trust that you and the mods put the charging for 2nd and 3rd avis as a solution to the devs and I believe that to be true.

Yes it is up to them to decide which way to go and they did, but we all know the weight your opinion carries with them.

In that thread Gizmo was looking for answers and was considering different options that were presented until you posted this.

Account wide ignore is back. That should cover enough troubles. Whether you block #1, #2 or #3, you are now again rid of all 3

Against multi accounts, there is no easy way to counter it, it can be bypassed in many ways, as gizmo has pointed out.

About any new systems you want to implement, it's bound to drama, however you look at it. Whether it's color coding the alts, or giving hints on profiles, or anything else... It will be the haves and the haves not. It will create even more secluded groups and separations within the community than we have already. Some say it will restore trust, I say it will add a feeling of distrust even more,  against whoever doesn't fit in the right category according to each and everyone.

At the risk of being repetitive, someone who wants to hurt you, will always find a way, but turning 3dxchat into 3dxmilitarycamp, will not help anyone.

Keep in mind that you are on the internet, and act accordingly. Giving trust is one thing, but being blind and wishing for a wonderland is a whole other story.

Ps : Thank you devs for the quick patch.

Again I will say that the colour name system was not my idea, I had actually suggested a different idea but thought that one showed more merit.

There was more that were against it yes, I even said that, but they were against anything being changed at all, not just the colour system.

Most of who wanted something brought in thought the colour name system to be the best is what I said, and if you look back through that thread and others before it you will see that to be true.

For some reason though you were one of the ones that didn't seem to want anything brought in.

You said in that comment above it would create a "haves and haves not" how so would it do that ?

You said it would create even more secluded groups and separations in the community than we have now, again how would it do that?

In fact I think it would help bring people back into the local areas and make it so new players are more easily accepted as being new players and not alts.

You say it will add a feeling of distrust even more, that it will not restore any trust, again how do you come up with that?

For me anyway, I would have more trust in a person showing it to be his or her main avi, especially when it comes to someone that shows they are new.

Yes some may make 2nd accounts just to fuck with others, but the way things are they don't even have to do that, just pay 10k and go for it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: character, creation, cost, xgold, new

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users