3DXChat Community

Doom Room - September 7th

Sugar Bunny

This is actually a pretty PG rated event.

I'd like to try ding all kinds of events here on 3dx that nobody has tried before.

Some will flop. Some will be popular. But either way there's no harm in trying them out. :)

Bunny, I am all for you organizing different events.

But, some are just not my thing. (public nudity/sex) But, I do not say there is not a want or need here.

So I, as Bennet asked, will nudity be a thing at this event?

LOL, each person has a different idea of what is considered PG here!

It sounds fun, and I might be able to join!

Nellie

Well everyone, we had some of the greatest minds in 3dx challenge the Doom Room, but I'm afraid in the end they just couldn't solve it in time. Perhaps the puzzles were just too difficult, or perhaps it was that this was their first run at this kind of challenge and they simply took too much time getting organized to be left with enough to crack the code.

That said, below are the four walls of the Doom Room, as well as the solution to the puzzle...

rjfpzt.jpg

2ai3tcm.jpg

npmhpl.jpg

1zpmzio.jpg

SPOILER ALERT - THE SIX DIGIT CODE AND THE SOLUTION ARE LISTED BELOW!

The first digit of the code is 3.

The clue, found on the north wall, is "5+0".

If we look on the north wall you'll see it noted that "Blue = 5".

You will also see on the north wall that "Yellow = 0".

Blue and yellow mixed together make green.

You will see that on the north wall it says "Green = 3".

Therefore, the first digit of the code is 3.

The second digit of the code is 5.

The clue, found on the north wall, is "Children".

On the south wall is riddle. It reads, "Mr. Smith has 4 daughters. Each of his daughters has a brother. How many children does Mr. Smith have?"

The answer to this riddle is 5, as each of Mr. Smith's daughters shares a single brother.

Therefore, the second digit of the code is 5.

The third digit of the code is 4.

The clue, found on the north wall, is "Banana".

On the south wall is written "Banana is the sum of the digits in the number of cats."

On the north wall is written "Z = Cats".

On the east wall is written "Squares are X. Triangles are Y. Circles are Z."

On the west well is written "Everything on the opposite wall is a lie."

Therefore Z does not equal circles, and must, by process of elimination, be either squares or triangles.

On the south wall is written "Dogs are Y."

Since Triangles = Y = Dogs, then by process of elimination Cats = Squares.

On the south wall is a pattern of squares. If you count up those squares you will see that there are a total of 40 of them.

Therefore cats = 40.

Therefore banana = 4 + 0

There, the third digit is 4.

The fourth digit is 3 or 7. In this case there are two right answers!

The clue, found on the north wall, is "1" written in red.

On the east wall is written "Everything on this wall is the truth."

But, in fact, everything on the east wall is a lie, as stated on the west wall.

Written on the east well is "Number #4 is 2."

Since everything on the east well is a lie, the fourth digit is not 2.

Since 1 is written in red it can be deduced that the fourth digit is not 1.

Written on the north wall, in red, is "Number #4 is Mango".

Written on the north wall is Puzzle Piece + 3 = Mango. Since the corresponding puzzle piece is marked with a 1, Mango must be 4.

Therefore the fourth digit is not 4.

Written in red on the west wall is "Number #4 is blue."

It says on the west wall Blue = 5.

Therefore the fourth digit is no 5.

On the west wall is a number sequence. From it we can deduce that U=42.

On the south wall it states that U = 42 = Number #4 is not 6.

Therefore the fourth digit is not 6.

Written on the west wall is a scrambled phase which can be decoded to read, "Number four is not eight."

Therefore the fourth digit is not 8.

Written on the north wall, in red, is "Number #4 is 9".

Therefore the fourth digit is not 9.

Written in red on the west wall is "Number #4 is yellow."

It says on the west wall Yellow = 0.

Therefore the fourth digit is not 0.

Since the fourth digit is not 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 or 0 it therefore must be 3 or 7.

The fifth digit is of the code is 1.

The clue, found on the north wall, is "Marbles".

On the south wall is written, "How many marbles can be placed in an empty jar?'

Since after adding a single marble the jar is no longer empty, the answer is "one marble".

Therefore the fifth digit is 1.

The sixth digit of the code is 8.

On the east wall is written, "The number in the hexagon is not part of solving Number #6."

Since everything on the east wall is a lie, it can be deduced that the number in the hexagon is part of solving Number #6.

The number in the hexagon is 22.

On the west wall is another hexagon containing words. The word which goes with 22 is "catch", as in the term "Catch 22".

The fifth letter of catch is H.

H = Horse.

On the south wall it says, "Horse = The blue ring is the exception."

On the east wall, in a blue ring, is the number 13. Normally everything on the east wall is a lie, but the blue ring marks an exception.

On the east wall it says that 13 is more than 9. Since that is a lie, 13 must be less than 9.

On the east well is says that 13 is less than 7. Since that is a lie, 13 must be more than 7.

The only number less than 9 but more than 7 is 8.

Therefore the sixth digit is 8.

Now, I'm sure right now there are howls of protest that this puzzle room was WAY too hard to solve in one hour.

And, in hindsight, I would agree. I did mess up and make it too hard. But here was my reasoning.

I figured that none of the puzzles were too hard for a team of two people to solve in 45 minutes. Therefore, if the group split into six pairs, each of which worked on a single clue, they could deduce all of the answers in the allotted time of one hour. Even if they missed one they could still guess, giving them a reasonable chance of beating the room by chance.

But, well, that didn't happen. First of all we had three players quit on us within the first 20 minutes or so, thus reducing the "brain pool" from 12 to 9. Secondly the team took about 15 minutes to get organized, and then more or less worked down the list, trying to solve the problems one by one. Some individuals worked on individual problems, and indeed found the answers, but as a group they simply ran out of time before getting them all. 

In the end I think the team we had would have solved the puzzles except that this was their first doom room and they didn't know what to expect. By the time they formulated a strategy they were already on the cusp of my estimated solution time, and thus its no surprise that under pressure they failed.

In the end the fault is mine. :mellow:

All that being said, thank you to everyone who participated in the first ever Doom Room. I shall be having a (better designed) on next week, and hope that you all come back and give me a second chance.

2e69a4z.jpg

Pacing, time and difficultly in any event are problematic. This is not like putting on some music (those who do that please don’t take offence) it is far trickier to handle an event like this.

We could have had a genius who solved it all in 15 mins while we hung around looking like hangers on. So I don't see our failure as a problem, if it had ended early that could be seen as a problem too. :)

Who you get is quite random, so the result will be random.

It was great fun, look forward to anything like this again. As one person said, “I didn’t realise something like 3DXchat even did events like this!” That’s down to you. :D