3DXChat Community

so i guess if you can't afford Traktor, Serato, VDJ etc with a bunch of DJ drops you can't win because then you'd just be streaming...

also because there is a prize for winning does that mean the music being played is now for commercial purposes? wonder how that affects 3dx and copyright of the music? wonder how many people pay licensing fees for music for commercial use?

Ow wow sounds super fun and somebody is being very generous with a prize - either 3dx or sugar and rob. Sugar can you provide further details on fairydusts comments re technology or how it will be judged?

I'm no legal eagle, but suspect there is no commercial aspect to this and no fee is charged to enter the room nor a fee to enter the competition and and SB will not personally gain from this.

The event is free to get into and the DJ's who participate in the event are all gaining personally regardless of whether it's a prize or if it's becoming known. All the DJ's will win, but the BEST DJ will get something extra. and of course it's out of Sugar's pocket because she wants to do it, not because the best DJ is entitled to a prize.

As far as legalities go, each DJ is encouraged to be properly licensed under BMI, ASCAP, and SESAC, as well as a Statutory license from the copyright office of their country. However, we will not require DJ's to be licensed, and it will be the individual DJ's responsibility should anything happen.

This is why we can't have nice things...

In all seriousness though, I participated in the first event as DJ Ukari and all I can say is I had loads of fun DJ'ing at that event. For me it's not about the popularity or showing off, it's about the music. I was given a platform to play the music that I love and I did, and I was so happy that I did. As long as the music I love gets the exposure, that's all that matters to me. I don't intend to be the best DJ and I'm sure as hell won't win the prize, I just want to put my favorite music out there. That is all.

Can't wait to see you in action, Uki. :)

And please understand that the prize I'm offering up as a gift to the winner serves two purposes for me. First of all I think that for some people it adds excitement to the event - the equivalent of playing cards for cash as opposed to matchsticks - and I want to help make Event 2 as memorable and successful as I can. But secondly, and more importantly, its my way of honoring the DJ community of 3DX and the amazing creative abilities of builders like RobPathfinder and Ayon. To me the money I'll part with to pay for this gift is worthwhile in that it demonstrates that I'm not just paying lip service to these groups but proving my seriousness and sincerity. I'm not a rich person, and the money I'll be parting with represents a significant part of my monthly income, but its my money and I'll do with it as I please.

Lastly, let me make one last thing clear to all who care. I have been working with other players like Solace and Gordian trying to develop content for 3dx. I'm doing this because I care about my fellow players, and want to be part of the solution to 3dx's infrequent content updates if I can be. Thus far I have been granted a clear avenue for submission, but we are not yet ready to put forth a portfolio of work comprehensive enough for the developers to accept. That doesn't make me a "big shot". That doesn't mean I have some kind of intimate relationship with the developers. All it means is that I'm trying my best to help make this game better for everyone and I think the developers recognize that. If that offends anyone then tough luck, because for every nasty comment I get - and believe me I get my share from a certain clique - I get fifty nice ones from those who support my efforts. And its those nice comments that keep me going.

I've a question about your contest :)

With which aspects will your DJ rating works? You want to judge the taste of each DJ or you want to use a DJ battle contest judgement?

Because to judge the music taste sounds for an DJ Drama contest with already known winner and not for an fair DJ battle like in real life.

To judge the taste will not work because the taste for the used music of a DJ doesn't shows his capability.

To use a DJ battle judgement will also not work in a Game like 3DXChat because the judge aspects are to different between the Music genres.

Electro DJ's have other voting aspects as Rock DJ's.

For example a Electro DJ battle judgement: Be rated are the amount of Songs in a short time, mixed in a clean line. Used FX, Used Filters etc...

A judgement like this will never works fair for Rock an similar DJ's.

Interesting is also the question, how you want to disqualify this "DJ's" who use the DJ work of other DJ's, I mean the "just press play DJ's with downloaded mixes of YouTube etc"? :huh:

Achilles, it's good to see you're still around :) as far as I know, we havent come up with a way to judge it yet, unless they know something I don't (and they probably do) :P I would imagine the audience is going to be a big part of the deciding factor but that is all I really know.

Hi there Achilles!

Excellent questions, and right now I don't have hard answers to most of them.

Let me explain:

Part of the reason I posted this event, even though its three months away, is to give DJs tons of notice that its coming, and thus have time to give their feedback and ideas.

My present concept for judging is that every person who attends the event can cast a vote in PM for any DJ they like, while that DJ is playing. They can't vote more than once per DJ, but they can vote for multiple DJs if they like. Votes would be tallied not by me, but by a neutral party, and in the end whichever DJ gets the most votes wins. In the event of a tie I would gift each of the two DJs with a 6 month 3dx membership.

Now, I realize that this method is not without flaws. It could be argued that DJs who are part of groups, or who just have tons of friends, would have an advantage over those that don't. Likewise, it could be said that DJs who play less popular types of music might also be at a disadvantage. No system we come up with will be flawless, but I'm hoping that constructive criticism and debate will lead me to the best answer, if not a perfect one.

As for who participates, I'm leaving that in the hands of RobPathfinder. Ultimately this event is his brainchild, and it will be he who selects which twelve DJs get to compete. Part of this simply comes down to who wants to be involved, and part of it is based on Rob's personal judgement. I don't think we want "press play" DJs at the event, or those that just ripoff other people's mixes.

I know that the above is something and nothing - I'm not really answering your question in a solid way - but I shall endeavor to have a clear system set in place within the next two weeks. In the meantime please send me your suggestions, and thank you for posting your questions! :)

Well, I'm happy to report that the two parties responsible for the previous flame war (one of them being me) have talked it out and settled our differences as best as they can be settled. We still don't like each other, but suffice to say I don't think we'll be crowding the thread with nonsense anymore.

Now speaking of EVENT 2, I'd love to hear from the DJs and their fans about how they'd like to see this contest judged and organized. Both RobPathfinder and I have an open mind when it comes to how to run things, so any suggestions or constructive criticism is appreciated. Also, if you're a DJ who'd like to be involved in EVENT 2, please let us know! We're eager to have both fresh new faces and old pros playing.

It's a funny thing, but at the last Event nobody complained about lag. And nobody has complained about lag in parties I've held that attracted lots of people. And strangely enough I don't see any other big group events getting comments like Britney's. Hmmm...

I suppose it all comes down to your computer and connection, Britney. If they suck then, yes, you'll have lag. Just like at every single other event that will ever be held in 3dx by absolutely anyone. But thanks for the comment.