3DXChat Community

If you guys want to try the VR for around $15 instead of $1500

reddead

This is a little workaround if you're feeling ambitious,

To start you'll need an android phone, it may be possible with an iPhone but I don't intend to look into it.

Disclaimer: I've only tried this with the Note 4, and it works flawlessly.  The Note 4 has very high specs and I can't be sure how much this matters.

Moving on..

If you haven't already heard of Google cardboard, you should well...google it.  It's a very inexpensive way to experience VR and it uses the same concept as the Oculus Rift.  You'll  need to purchase a pair of cardboard goggles, and like I said they're around $15, just make sure you get the right size for your phone.

Next you'll need an app called Splashtop (hint to the devs) this is a really cool screen sharing app that lets you view your current computer screen from your phone.

You should be able to figure the rest out from here, there's some weird quirks with going into the oculus rift mode, but hey this isn't exactly supported.  All in all I think you'll find it was $15 well spent.

If you have any questions I may be able to get to it, but I'm not that active on the forums so I hope someone will help you.  Make sure you post your experience so we can know how well it works on other phones.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a little workaround if you're feeling ambitious,

To start you'll need an android phone, it may be possible with an iPhone but I don't intend to look into it.

Disclaimer: I've only tried this with the Note 4, and it works flawlessly.  The Note 4 has very high specs and I can't be sure how much this matters.

Moving on..

If you haven't already heard of Google cardboard, you should well...google it.  It's a very inexpensive way to experience VR and it uses the same concept as the Oculus Rift.  You'll  need to purchase a pair of cardboard goggles, and like I said they're around $15, just make sure you get the right size for your phone.

Next you'll need an app called Splashtop (hint to the devs) this is a really cool screen sharing app that lets you view your current computer screen from your phone.

You should be able to figure the rest out from here, there's some weird quirks with going into the oculus rift mode, but hey this isn't exactly supported.  All in all I think you'll find it was $15 well spent.

If you have any questions I may be able to get to it, but I'm not that active on the forums so I hope someone will help you.  Make sure you post your experience so we can know how well it works on other phones.

Another that works a lot better if you did not know of it is Trinus VR > http://oddsheepgames.com/trinus/. You will also find it has a lot better support. The first link is to a very simple understanding and introduction which I liked and wanted to share. However, for actual use and downloading go here > http://trinusvr.com/.

You will also want to make sure you get the Google Cardboard 2.0 which is the newest, 1.0 is obsolete and seemingly flooded all over the internet. So you will need to look specifically for 2.0. One place you can get it is here > http://www.imcardboard.com/cardboard-v2-0.html.

As far as costs to get current items and ones with better support overall.

Google Cardboard 2.0 > $19.95 + $5.00 S&H

TrinusVR > $6.49

---

Total : $31.44

Now you could get Google Cardboard 1.0 and something other than TrinusVR but you will spend a lot more time trying to get it to work, as well in the end it wont work with everything. So for the added $15 a lot less mess, a lot more fun, and right into VR. So I would strongly suggest not skipping on the cost. $30 is still far more manageable than $600. Now you could also build your own pair of Google Cardboard 2.0 and save the $20. Though that's entirely up to you.

Also be aware that TrinusVR is for Android

If your phone is different you can 'try' others such as :

Gagagu for iPhone > https://github.com/gagagu (FREE)

Google Chrome is also now starting to bundle Android functionality within its browser.

Also if you own a new laptop (not the bottom line variants) it may very well have sensors like a smartphone. As the newer laptops are now including them. Which would enable you to use a desktop environment for Android on a laptop with applicable sensors. Along with the 2 provided items listed above.

One example and by no means not the only option can be seen here > https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SNIVQofK1jI#t=3

You could also get something like Tobii PCEye which brings most any desktop up to speed in this way. Though its retailing for around $139. So in short you can either get the 2 items and use your phone. Or for the more adventurous run it all on a capable system bundling something like the Tobii PCEye, a android emulation, TrinusVR, along with the Google Cardboard 2.0. Which would still be cheaper than $600 but most likely with some work involved to get it working. For the lazy grab your phone and start right away.

One very cute video to show how its helping people with disabilities. It is helping those who before found themselves with limited communicative skills, now being able to speak with their eyes.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAvcquMd0vY