3DXChat Community

Windows 10

MadameDouleur

Guest SayaX

never change a running system and i never install a new windows on my main machine before atleast 1-2 patches were released...just sayin^^

It should be fine. It has been in preview for a while now with plenty of people testing it so most the bugs have been ironed out already.

Windows 10 is a disaster. Not just the bugs, but the way it looks, the way it sends data from your PC to others, the update thing where Microsoft knows graphics card drivers better than AMD/NVIDIA/ETC(which is obvious total bollocks), security issues(even worse than previous versions when they first came out) and fuck knows what other shit it's shoving down it's users throats.

It's "taking care of a few things" at the moment. I had tried running the upgrade earlier but I guess they can tell that you haven't been notified yet because it failed twice. However, now I've had the notification, it appears to be installing fine. 

About "it sends data from your PC to others," unless they ignore your mods in that regard, you do have the opportunity at install, let alone later on, to modify that.

Updated: Well, it completed fine and I can see that most, if not all, of the applications I have are running fine. The only problem I had, when it first started, was multiple instances of IM Magician (a webcam app) being started and failing because of a missing dll but I don't need the app anyway so uninstalled it.

Windows 10 is a disaster. Not just the bugs, but the way it looks, the way it sends data from your PC to others, the update thing where Microsoft knows graphics card drivers better than AMD/NVIDIA/ETC(which is obvious total bollocks), security issues(even worse than previous versions when they first came out) and fuck knows what other shit it's shoving down it's users throats.

I am not here protecting windows 10 or anything just being unbiased.

Those automatic updates I already seen guides on how to disable them as well.

Likely microsoft might change that within first 6 months based on how much trouble it causes.

On most technical subbreddits there are guides on how to disable every kind of feedback that windows 10 gives to Microsoft.

For the security issues that will get ironed out too, Microsoft plan with windows 10 is different than it was with 7.

They are offering free upgrade so the situation where most people run XP by the time windows 8 was released won't happen again. Ofc it is their marketing scheme trying to get everyone under same OS.

Second part about security lots of these issues are polished weekly and soon will be non existent but windows 7 support won't last for over 10 years as it did with XP. Then 7 will have way more holes. I think I read that MS will offer windows 7 support for only next 3 years? What then?

Let's go all linux where you won't run half of things you want and 90% companies in world where the employees are uneducated will run windows because users hate change and wont learn linux anyway?

Currently most things games / software / or just average speed all show big boost compared to windows 7 and windows 8, mind you windows 8 was already better in every technical aspect than 7 except it was designed badly which was the reason it is hated. In near future DX 12 rolls out and that shows improvements much larger than DX 10 or DX 11 were.

As I said in old post... you have 12 months for free update from 7 or 8. There are big changes and updates coming as were in every version of windows released during first half year. You can wait it out and you should wait it out.

Most things Iike bugs and issues I seen people having with sound and so on already have workaround or were solved already, in the next 6 months I do believe everything will be polished and there won't be reason to not stick to windows 10.

Once more about the security concern, you can turn everything off. Fact is windows 8 already had lots of these features.

And lets not pretend here that microsoft suddenly did something no one ever does

do you connect to this game with VPN ? If no are you sure you are secure? Even so do you then trust your VPN? are you using secure connection to every site?

do you use any android phone older than year? They have weakest security in whole world and google don't update old androids.

Do you use facebook? 

Or all the apple cloud bullshits? Remember the leak just few months back?

If any of these is yes then I am sorry your windows 10 security concerns are least of your worries, you can turn them off and you can monitor your traffic with third party application to make sure it does stay that way.

In fact I do know security is concern I always try best I can with no script adblock ghostery etc.

But let's face it microsoft didn't do anything that google / apple or every large piece of software with online features doesn't do these days. It is right? No. Can you turn it off? yes

Fact is there will be point where windows 7 will be less secure than windows 8 windows 10 and any newest window by that time.

I am going to paste my answer from another topic:

This is a long post  :P Right so for clarification, and after a fun and informative day with Windows 10 at work yesterday where I spent the day in the recesses of the technical department, where they all need a tan and some fresh air (j/k) we took a wide range of hardware and built around 12 different machines and tried various configurations and ecosystems, here is a rough idea of what we used:

- various Z97 Mobos (MSI / ASRock / EVGA) with Haswell & Haswell Refresh processors

- various Z170 Mobos (MSI / ASRock / Asus) with an engineering sample of a 6700k
- various DDR3 & DDR4 Kits (Corsair / Kingston / Geil)
- various GeForce 5xx / 6xx / 7xx / 9xx cards (MSI / EVGA / Leadtek)
- various Radeon 6xxx / 7xxx / R7 xxx / R9 xxx and a Fury X for good measure (MSI / Sapphire)
- Kingston / OCZ / Samsung SSDs
- WD Black HDDs & a couple Raptors

We did various installs from fresh, as well as upgrading and also with a simulated older drive by writing tons of junk to it. Various versions of drivers etc etc. A deployment server was a godsend  :D

Disclaimer: EVERYBODY will have a different experience with Windows 10. What I experienced others might not but here are a few caveats with Windows 10.
- last night (05 Aug 2015) MS issued a large "servicing" update to Windows 10. It apparently has a large swath of fixes.
- Windows Update is less controllable (you cannot block updates)
- The EULA is less privacy friendly. If you want to fall asleep, read it.
- The explorer.exe is more prone to silent crashing/resetting
- The Notification/Action Center sometimes duplicates messages or loses them
- Changing Default apps is fine in the settings app. Apps can't change this anymore. Users have to.
- Battery drain on notebooks is all over the place. Good and bad.
- Manual IP configuration causes Windows to think it has multiple network adapters
- Razer peripherals cause the synapse installer crap to pop up OVER the windows installer and you can't fucking click anything (angry face here, doesn't always happen)
- GeForce Multi Monitor is hit and miss (works or fails balls)

- Hardware acceleration with Office 2013 sometimes causes odd and funny graphical glitches

- Windows will share WiFi passwords with friends using WiFi Sense. It is safe as it wont share with random people you dont know but the tin foil hat people hate it.

- This is a BIG ONE - Windows 10 has BitTorrent functionality built in that can and will download your updates from MS Servers AND other PC's on the network AND around the world... AND it will use your PC to "seed" updates to other users. This can be turned off in the Windows Update section of the Settings App.

Here is what we noticed. The problems are very very hard to reproduce. Some people will NEVER have a problem ever. Windows 10 will be amazing. For others you might have intermittent problems. A good point to note. Other than graphics drivers, MOST Windows 8.1 drivers work on 10, so if you know what you are doing you can pop into Admin Tools and Services, stop the Windows Update service, change it to Manual then pop into the Task Scheduler and edit it so it doesn't start with windows, disable driver signing using the winkey+r and typing MSCONFIG and install your more stable 8.1 drivers.

Here is an easier tutorial to turn off the Auto Updates in Windows 10: Link

Your mileage is going to vary like I said. A quick scan of the GeForce forums, the AMD forums, the MSDN and Technet sites and a few others shows a wide range of praise and cursing.

MS also has a list of games that work but no real tech spec on it. Found here: Link

Here is the Media Creation Tool if you want to FORCE a Windows 10 update: Link

If you are REALLY brave and do not mind messing in the registry you can go to the following key to FORCE Windows to give you the update:

Winkey+R --> Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Microsoft --> Windows --> CurrentVersion --> WindowsUpdate --> OSUpgrade --> Click on the OSUpgrade folder.

Then look for the following DWORD: AllowOSUpgrade

If you do not have it Right click in the right hand side windows - Create a 32Bit Dword called AllowOSUpgrade then right click and edit it and change the hex to 1.

Also check your reservation state. Make sure it looks like the attached image from my home machine  :)

For my part, last night I upgraded Windows this time (mainly due to a fresh install of 8.1 and it's better. A lot better. Ironic. SLI is still a little iffy, but overall far better. To answer Riela:
- there were/are SLI problems
- there were/are Single card problems
- I use SLI as my home machine is also used for work renders and needs the horsepower
- Some people are having more problems than others
- Windows update fights with any other driver auto update such as GeForce experience (Win10 will use hot fix drivers, GFEX uses latest WHQL)
- SLI performance varies by engine. Witcher loves it and chugs along at VSYNC cap on my 144hz monitor, Shadow of Mordor loves it. WoW and Wildstar don't need it. Arma3 benefits a tiny bit. Starcraft runs a little slower with SLI.

In terms of this I have rolled back to 8.1 again and I am literally just going to wait until the new year to give everything a chance to settle. Personal feeling.

My system spec for gaming has changed a little so for reference here is my current system spec: The 5960x is now purely a work machine.

Core i7 4790k (4.0Ghz base/4.4GHz Turbo - Running at 4.7 OCd with Corsair H110 closed loop water cooling system)

ASRock Z97 Extreme9 Motherboard

32GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR3 2133 using XMP profile

Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD x2 in Raid 0 (Primary OS Drive)

WD VelociRaptor 1.0TB x2 in Raid 0 (Gaming Drive)

WD Green 6.0TB for random junk and the Backup of my OS raid and Gaming raid.

All other info is kept on a 5-bay Synology NAS

Gigabyte GeForce GTX980Ti Gaming G1 x2 in SLI

Acer XG270HU Monitor

Corsair AX1200i Power Supply

(Added the Screencaps to show the config)

In all of this 3DX is hit and miss. Running it in 8.1 Compatibility mode fixed all my issues.

So after this huge post, the only way you are going to know is to try, so read a few reviews, read a few forums, play with 10 on a friends machine, and remember if you do upgrade your existing 7/8/8.1 using the free upgrade you have a month to revert back. You accepted the upgrade so it's free for the life of that machine and you can re upgrade at any time.

Otherwise my suggestion is to use something like VMWare or Parallels Desktop, and run Windows 10 in a virtual machine and see if you are happy with it before moving across.

It is VERY hard for me to say that everybody will have problems. You wont, or you will or you might or you might not. It is going to vary wildly but for the most part Windows 10 is very stable.

EDIT: For the Tin Foil Hat people. Read the following:
Windows 10 Privacy Concerns: Ars Technica: Link

Microsoft Responds to Privacy Concerns: Link

The Guardian: Windows 10 Privacy: Link

There is a virtual fuck ton of stories on Windows 10 Privacy, google it and give it a read  :P

• 5 weeks later...

Today I upgraded my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

After the update, 3DX didn't open anymore :(.

So I deleted the game and reinstalled it but the problem remains the same :angry:.

So I can't play 3DX anymore.

Does anybody has the same trouble ?

Does anybody know how I can solve it ?

Please help me !

Edited by Achilles
Topic Merged with existing topic

Latest INFO: I've just upload to Windows 10 64 bit three days ago. There was no problem at all.

Every software that I have, they work very well with it.

No re-configure, no registry overwrite at all.

Except Screen Solution on 3DX game does not support 4K solution but it's not big issue.

I don't like new add-on app like Groove Music, it doesn't support my country.

Including with quick access that try to track & record your favorite website and everything on PC automatically.

It's good for personal PC,

Don't do nasty thing or pirate surfing with Office PC.

It will leave your footprints everything you did.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I run Windows 10 Pro 64bit and I run 3DX just fine, as Rochi said above, remove the game from your systems registry then reinstall as it could be some registry registered values were corrupted or removed during your upgrade from 8.1 to 10 which is stopping it from opening. A simple registry removal of 3DXChat should fix it for you.

Regards

Ash

3 Days ago, Upgraded, installed new Nvidia drivers - that was all I did, everything works without single issue, then upgraded some other drivers but 3DX worked well before.

I did had few little bugs which normal users won't really notice but nothing that did not had workaround, was related to 3DX or would made me go back to windows 7 again.

1) Update drivers

2) Clean registry

3) Run as Admin

4) Compatibility mode 7 or 8

One of the above or all of them should 90% fix your problem.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

little offtopic but for GNU/Linux fans:

also running smooth and fine with Linux Mint 17.3 and with Debian Jessie by using Wine and proprietary NVIDIA drivers.

So should also run fine with Ubuntu.

Cheers

Oli

Zero issues with running Win10 and 3dx. 

The only issue I have in the game is the nVidia drivers crapping out on me. I get the error saying that it failed but then recovered. 

I don't get that from any other game I play (SWTOR, Star Citizen, Shadows of Mordor, Battlefront)

I had the same issue with my NVIDIA drivers doing the same. Now before everyone jumps on me I know nothing about computers/ laptops, but I have on my desktop a shortcut called EVGA PrecisionX, if I go into that I can adjust the GPU offset clock..(-51) and mem offset clock.(+163) once this is applied I have no issue with my drivers failing while on 3DX. Please note those numbers were given to me from someone who played 3DX previously and worked for that person and do me. If anyone knows of a better setting it should be at please let me know and I will try it.