3DXChat Community

Expressing your opinion

Guest Doll

Ok...before we start...although recent events have inspired me to post this...it's not about any particular individual...we're all guilty of abusing our much vaunted and oft misused freedom to express our opinion to varying degrees I think. I'd just like to solicit a discussion on what this topic actually means to everyone...

...I'll start with what I think are the things anyone posting their opinions online should consider;

Does expressing your opinion contribute in a positive way to the subject matter?

Does your opinion provoke further constructive discussion concerning the subject matter?

What do you expect to be the response to your opinion?

Does that response if/when you get it contribute to the subject matter or the discussion itself?

How do you think your opinion will make others feel?

How would you feel if others responded in the same manner to you?

Now...I fully realise that even I fail to adhere to these considerations all the time lol...but I try. I'm sure I've missed lots of things in the above but I wanted to start a discussion. I know it's maybe similar to the think twice before you post anything topic but a it doesn't hurt to have a refresh of what might be common courtesy right?

In essence the 3dx forum zeitgeist is what we make it...we know the Internet can be awful and each of us bring our demons with us but this is our corner of it...let's make it a better place for everyone in it.

I still love u all

I would add that a discussion between adults should be done respecting the elementary rules of courtesy.

A debate built on personal attacks for example, or without will to be constructive can not end in a positive manner.

Being courteous and neutral towards each other while sharing opinions is the best way to see a discussion continue in an interesting way instead of turning in muddle and rat race.

I think questions like these should be asked for access to any public forum, including World chat.

I am often disturbed at the childish behavior I see exhibited by certain individuals on public areas, forums, and chats. Some people here seem to love trolling and bullying, and it does nothing to contribute to the community, it only breaks it down by infecting it.

If just the questions of courtesy that Doll has outlined here were to be asked and the purpose understood, that I think we would have a great place to voice our opinions and exercise those freedoms without the disease of disrespectful behavior that keeps creeping in as of late.

I Agree with Doll and forgive me for say most of us have been guilty of it in one way or another, me myself included, it's funny I have so many on Block I can make my own Community Laughing, but what annoys me is when I Block and that person makes account after account, make it hard to be a Lady know what I mean?, Yes it wrong but for things to get better we all have to agree it is and work together to make it better, I'm willing, Who's in?

Guest SayaX

I fully agree with Doll. As a newcomer I have not really had any issues yet, although I rarely let things get to me anyway. Online there are a select few who act like complete douche bags. What those people seem to forget is that there are real people with real emotions behind the keyboard, so be as polite and courteous as you would expect to be in real life.

...so anyway

Something else springs to mind...

Is posting a sarcastic gif as a commentary on the fact that people are discussing a topic or disagreeing actually contributing to the discussion?

I loved ❤the gif post. It was hilarious to me and most are. They express the message in a clever and humorous way with little to no words needed to explain the meaning. If your referring to the group hug gif. I say bravo and well played to Rob I think it was tasteful and added to the conversation well espesially when some people (won't name names) won't take a hint. Tactful way of trying to bring the peace✌. Much better than a *sigh* and an anyways... So thumbs for gifs they stay

Nooo...not that one...it was a general comment not aimed at this thread. The group hug was lovely because it's a positive encouragement not a sarcastic attempt to discourage people from discussion

Like the ones of people eating popcorn/rolling their eyes/pulling a face etc...etc... as soon as any contradictory point is made...it's just not constructive or positive and usually just designed to make the poster seem somehow wiser/more mature/better than everyone else in the convo. In my opinion anyway...it's open for discussion. :)

Several comments on this topic have just been removed.

Please avoid personal attacks and giving out names or specific situations. If you have an issue with someone in game, use ignore, or send report to admins.

One on one fights will lead to nothing but this topic be closed, so please stick to the raised question and remain civil.

Thank you.

I think it's hard for many to stay positive because it's so easy to be an anonymous tough guy on the web. Most wouldn't be so troll-happy in person. I think sarcastic gifs walk a fine line....sometimes it's funny, but often it's rude. I understand, for example, if someone makes a new thread asking something that's been answered a hundred times before without bothering to search....it's obnoxious. However, one can simply ignore and let the thread die instead of being a prick. The rudeness and meanness in world/local chat is a real turn off sometimes. If anything, I begin to pity the people who are always on, always starting trouble.

oh nice topic doll ... i agree totally .. and i will admit i was guilty of such things in the past .. i cant stand ppl been bullied or trolled in a nasty way .. so i used to go after them .. sometimes it was sort of amusing .. but then i realised i was just adding to the crap in the chat i was in and probably annoying other ppl ..

so i started to do the next best thing .. and spamed my ignore button 

i agree with you doll in every way .. sadly some ppl on the internet think that because they are not face to face .. they can say and do anything they want regardless of anyone elses feelings .. and think anyone and everyone who does not agree with there opinion is a retard .. sigh 

in game use the ignore button on such ppl mostly there not worth knowing 

on the forums .. its simple dont be baited a reaction is what they want simply ignore the comment completly and continue the conversation is if there nasty comment didnt exist 

just my 10 cents worth i guess :) 

I agree with you Blackstar. I was the same, I don't like seeing people bullied or trolled for someone else's amusement. But sadly it does happen.

You can't talk reason with these people because then you become the target, they don't know when to stop and don't realise its them looking like the fool.

From now on ignore is my only resort, I have no time for people like that.

These expressing your opinion style topics are everywhere online... From simply finding a job to the most extreme player bases in games... Now a days it is near impossible to go to any site that doesn't have some kinda review/opinion about whatever is on that page... The internet is the birth of propaganda full circle... I share the mutual respect of everything that was posted above me... Better community requires better organization... I have never intentionally played 3DX to cause drama on the player base here... But I have been subject to opinions of others good & bad... I usually just nap on them :)

• 2 years later...

Ok...before we start...although recent events have inspired me to post this...it's not about any particular individual...we're all guilty of abusing our much vaunted and oft misused freedom to express our opinion to varying degrees I think. I'd just like to solicit a discussion on what this topic actually means to everyone...

...I'll start with what I think are the things anyone posting their opinions online should consider;

Does expressing your opinion contribute in a positive way to the subject matter?

Does your opinion provoke further constructive discussion concerning the subject matter?

What do you expect to be the response to your opinion?

Does that response if/when you get it contribute to the subject matter or the discussion itself?

How do you think your opinion will make others feel?

How would you feel if others responded in the same manner to you?

Now...I fully realise that even I fail to adhere to these considerations all the time lol...but I try. I'm sure I've missed lots of things in the above but I wanted to start a discussion. I know it's maybe similar to the think twice before you post anything topic but a it doesn't hurt to have a refresh of what might be common courtesy right?

In essence the 3dx forum zeitgeist is what we make it...we know the Internet can be awful and each of us bring our demons with us but this is our corner of it...let's make it a better place for everyone in it.

I still love u all

I've learned this lesson recently and am still perfecting the restricting of expressing my opinion. All those questions you posted are very good questions to ask before sharing an opinion about anything. I'll try to implement those in the future.

For me, I had the bad habit of thinking that my opinion was the RIGHT opinion to have. And when I didn't understand another's opinion then I'd attack them and belittle them because to me it didn't make sense. Terrible flaw of mine. I recently realized how tragic and venomous it is so I've begun to sort of put a cap on it in regards to my opinions on things and am a bit more tactful now.