3DXChat Community

Global Climate Change Real or Not?

Guest Eclipse

Global Climate Change Real or Not?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Global Climate Change Real or Not?

• Not Real: Chill we don't need to change a thing
    • Real - But not worried cause it won't affect me, sorry
    • Real - I'm Worried, but there's nothing I can do about it, sooo
    • Real - I'm Worried, gonna become more knowledgeable and make changes in my life
    • Real - Hauling Ass...moving to higher ground away from shore lines
    • Slow Down People - Need more proof one way or another
    • None of the above

The NASA data about a growth in Antarctic sea ice proves nothing about global warming as acknowledged in the article... Climate changes can manifest in unpredictable ways as sea flows are altered and a million other changes occurs as expected in a system as complex as the ecosystem on earth. In addition we've lost more ice from the Arctic than we've gained in the Antarctic. It is a global change so localised changes prove absolutely nothing, one way or another. (Same applies to the article about Perth sinking)

I found all the joannenova articles had a very nasty habit of selection bias when picking statistics to quote which backs up the authors obvious anti climate change bias.

Unfortunately, this is from the... the common broadcast news, which nobody should be running to for their news. There is climate change, but it is normal, there is no "global warming" as the media put it. I'm not going to post links, just do your own research, look at multiple scientific sources and you will find that it has been disproved time and time again. This is done with real science and real people, not computer plots that never come true.

The facts are that polar ice has not receded since 1979, that the AP and most media base their "facts" on what scientists are telling them which are in turn basing their "facts" off of computer models which have not been correct once. There is no real science here, no true scientific method, the building block of solid science. We are in a period of cooling, but just a year ago, weren't they yelling and hollering about a period of warming and that it's all caused by us? They just completely flipped their science, their spiel, their lives in ONE year because the "facts" they were producing were completely garbage. Do you realize how much money is tied into climate change / global warming? It's a juggernaut, with countless political proponents, countless books, movies, school courses, etc built around it. It's a giant money making machine because it proves, without a doubt, that people can be scared into believing something if enough people say it's true. Without doing their own research and trusting news.

The money argument does not wash. Flip the question around- how much money is there in maintaining the status quo? How much money is there in doing nothing? Quite a lot if you are a petrochemical company as it happens. Substantially more than in the sale of books school courses and other stuff you note. Now look at the source of funding for many a climate change denying think tank and opinion writer. I can provide many serious examples.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/feb/21/climate-change-denier-willie-soon-funded-energy-industry

http://www.zmescience.com/ecology/climate-scientist-oil-company-23022015/

You think our entire media, the vast majority of climate scientists are lying to sell a few books and wind turbines ? I'm sorry but I think we have now entered the realm of the conspiracy theory.

Ok I have to refute certain points in case someone believes them.

1 polar ice has not receded since 1979.
Incorrect Antarctic sea ice has risen slightly to its highest level since 1979. Land ice in Antarctica has reduced at an accelerating rate, with implications for sea level rise. In addition, Arctic ice has fallen sharply by more than the modest gains in Antarctica.

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

http://www.skepticalscience.com/antarctica-gaining-ice.htm

2 we are in a period of cooling
Incorrect we had a level period true, caused by volcanic events (a stratospheric emission from a volcano causes a little cooling) this period is now over and it caused very little impact on the trend upwards over a longer timescale

https://www2.ucar.edu/news/how-much-has-global-temperature-risen-last-100-years

3 climate change theory is based solely on unscientific models
Incorrect the evidence is largely based on detailed meta analysis of land and sea temperatures captured over a long time scale from many parts of the world. and all done using rigorous scientific method.

Thank you for raising this topic, dear.

We should be careful about

What we've done to Mother Nature.

She would give us her big reaction in return, some day.

I'm not rely on STAT,

it's good if not involved with human's deviation.

This world has changed by;

Population growth, Greedy Mass Industrial production.

Shrinking society, becoming slave of Digital world.

No human eyes contact like the past.

Just starring to human's made; Digital Display Device.

We become robotic according to Advertising Propaganda's trend.

Or being lured by Digital Selling Campaign this moment.

Maybe present or the next human generation

Do not care about how important of living in harmony.

with natural environment.

Simply for my prediction.

incoming of this half century.

We may have world war III

to get rid numbers of living human from this world.

Balancing the existing limitation of resources.

I hope I'll die before confronting incoming dooms day.

Epi has far more patience than I in refuting methodically all the nonsense denying climate change. Thank you Epi...I'm with ya.

Jaxxxis is right do your own research...even if...in my opinion...he's come to the wrong conclusion...but please use scientific papers not media articles to draw your own conclusions. Also pay attention to who sponsors some "science"...just like the sugar debate.

I think there's a huge danger in confusing opinion with science which seems to be what's happening in the thread. Also the term "global warming" is misleading and misused...climate change is what we're talking about.

Guest Eclipse

Interesting thoughts on Global Climate Change...

here's some more fuel for thought (god, I'm so childish)

...this just in to CNN

forgive my terrible Wolf Blitzer impersonation - I just can't stop myself

CNN-SitRoom.png

(CNN) Pope Francis warned Thursday (today) that modern trends -- from a heedless worship of technology to an addiction to fossil fuels and compulsive consumerism -- have swept the planet to the verge of a perilous "breaking point."

"Doomsday predictions," the Pope said in a sharply worded manifesto, "can no longer be met with irony or disdain."

Citing scientific consensus that we are witnessing a "disturbing warming" of the Earth, Francis embraced the view that humans are largely to blame for a dramatic change in the climate.

Nothing short of a "bold cultural revolution" can halt humanity's spiral into self-destruction, the Pope warned.

sapiosexual-580x387.jpg

Hmm, so much to ponder (thinking, thinking, thinking...DONE).

We need changes now !!!

Climate Change is a lot like Evolution. We have mounds and mounds of peer-reviewed, verifiable, statistically solvent scientific data that supports both. And then this handful of conservative nutjobs standing on the other side of the aisle using fear tactics, loud voices, confusing graphs and gross misinformation to 'dispute' the mountain of scientific evidence. And people the world over, but especially here in the US, are dumb enough to give these nay-saying wankers the time of day to preach their drivel, and actually listen to it. :blink:

And just for the record, if I hear one more person say "Well, I don't believe in the theory of evolution. It is, after all, just a theory," something inside of me is going to just pop and cause me to go on some sort of sexually-charged, despondency-driven murderous rampage. Actually, that sorta sounds like fun... :wub:

You know shit just got real, when we start debating global warming in a forum for a sex game.

Well it's not like it's going to be brought up to Congress or anything, so we might as well pretend something might get done.

Do you realize how much money is tied into climate change / global warming? It's a juggernaut, with countless political proponents, countless books, movies, school courses, etc built around it. It's a giant money making machine because it proves, without a doubt, that people can be scared into believing something if enough people say it's true. Without doing their own research and trusting news.

Not nearly as much money as there is in convincing you that fossil fuels are the only way to go and not irreparably damaging the environment.

Scientists are not congressmen. You cannot buy science. And even if you did buy a study, they study would be rejected by that lovely little process called peer-review.

Oh, and by the way, "BUT IT'S A CONSPIRACY ER MAH GERD" does NOT absolve you of the need to provide evidence.

In fact, it just means you have to provide EVEN MORE evidence, because now not only do you have to prove that climate change does not exist, you also have to prove that there is an active conspiracy to perpetuate the myth. Get to work, boy.

Well it is questionable is it real in the terms most of population think it is. It all depends on what scale you are looking at if you take 100 years back then yes climate is getting hotter and hotter, but take a bigger scale say before humans even exsited and the temperatures our scientist predict were then then it is actualy cooling off with this little small bump of hightened temperature. I would be more worried what comes after the increase in temperature as most of the time in earths history it was a small ice age. But then again, nature will have it's way, we people should stop and contempalte how insignificant we are to the nature (yes you can make arguments about how we destroy forests and such, but nature destroys us, Aid s, cancer, natural disasters.) we do not really matter to anything more then ourselfs and what ever comes of this global warming or ice age after that the nature will keep on rolling changing climate might destroy some species but others will thrive in that environment. 99% of all species that existed on earth are extinct now and we will join them sooner or later. In the end if we want to survive longer we should propobly consider what is best for human species, but in the grand cosmic timeline we do not matter at all :) 

Well it is questionable is it real in the terms most of population think it is. It all depends on what scale you are looking at if you take 100 years back then yes climate is getting hotter and hotter, but take a bigger scale say before humans even exsited and the temperatures our scientist predict were then then it is actualy cooling off with this little small bump of hightened temperature. I would be more worried what comes after the increase in temperature as most of the time in earths history it was a small ice age. But then again, nature will have it's way, we people should stop and contempalte how insignificant we are to the nature (yes you can make arguments about how we destroy forests and such, but nature destroys us, Aid s, cancer, natural disasters.) we do not really matter to anything more then ourselfs and what ever comes of this global warming or ice age after that the nature will keep on rolling changing climate might destroy some species but others will thrive in that environment. 99% of all species that existed on earth are extinct now and we will join them sooner or later. In the end if we want to survive longer we should propobly consider what is best for human species, but in the grand cosmic timeline we do not matter at all :)

But it isn't really all that questionable.

Yes, the Earth heats and cools cyclically over eons, but human beings have greatly accelerated that process in the past couple hundred years. Left unchecked, we'll force the planet into a period of 'extreme' weather that falls well outside its normal cycles.

And this can and most likely will have some pretty dire consequences. Small changes in temperatures in certain areas shift tidal patterns and gulfstream conditions, which could completely redraw the map for us in terms of what parts of the livable land mass of the Earth are arid, temperate, etc, affecting crop patterns, storm systems and severity, and the like.

The universe might not give a shit, but as people living on this planet (and not likely to colonize any new ones before the brunt of the change is upon us), we damn sure should, and should be taking steps to reduce the negative effects while we still have time to make changes that will have a significant impact.