3DXChat Community

Favorite Quotes

Guest Mattttt

I like to deconstruct these pointless quotes. I’m bored, so here you go.

Stupid people take revenge blindly.

Weak people who like to think of themselves as virtuous pretend to forgive to appear as such.

Weak people, or stupid people who like to think of themselves as strong, ignore.

Rational people:

They don’t forgive, because to forgive means to relinquish power and leverage. The only time a rational person forgives is when they know that the other will not forgive themselves. In that case to appear to forgive increases perceived virtue without sacrificing power.

They don’t ignore, because to ignore gives others power over you. They tolerate minor things, for to react to those shows weakness.

They don’t take revenge, for the vengeful are easily manipulated, revenge is personal, and it’s moronic to get personal when 80% of the population are too stupid to be held responsible for their own actions. Instead they establish consistent rules which act as impersonal facts. Actions must have consequences.

It’s like training animals. You aren’t mad at your dog for doing something wrong, but you signal to it that it was wrong to train him to act the way you want.

All of the above can be intelligent. Intelligence and stupidity/vanity are orthogonal concepts. Intelligence says nothing about what a person values and how reasonable they are. It only says how quickly they can think, and how complex the concepts they can grasp can be.

Intelligent people can be stupid, and unintelligent people can be rational. The latter just need a little more time to reach their conclusions and don’t have access to higher levels of abstraction.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Litany Against Fear