3DXChat Community

Frequent Game Freezes on Laptop

Cheyenne

Hey Everyone,

my boyfriend is experiencing some very frequent freezes on 3dx Chat as of late, greying out the window until the client has to be restarted every few mintues, sometimes even the entire computer.

I would appreciate any form of suggestions and advice very much. I can't offer detailed hardware specifications for now but as soon as I have anything, my post will be edited.

Thanks in advance :)

well it's 2 people as for now, I don't have issue on any of my laptops.

But you say its the game.

What makes you think that? what are your laptop specs?

how about  av/fw? is your PC updated?

is your laptop overheating?  did you clean it recently / how old is it?

does it freeze on 30 fps or on 60fps? low details / high details?

It can also be related to your internet connection.

there are so many things that can be problem but we are unable to help you without you providing more than just ... well its game fault.

Laptops are fickle beasts due to the highly integrated nature of them and the variable hardware present from vendor to vendor. So a short snapshot of your system would help us or the devs try and help you a little. Literally this:

Notebook Make and Model

Processor Brand and Speed

Amount of RAM

Graphics Processor (Dedicated: Nvidia or AMD / Integrated: Intel or AMD)

If possible the types of physical drives in the machine: Hard Drive or SSD

Windows Version and Bit-age (32-bit or 64-bit)

Then a few important factors like driver versions. The quickest way is to press the Windows Key + R and type DXDiag and then save the report it generates as it will tell the driver versions and date stamp.

Next is determining if the machine runs NVidia Optimus or AMD Enduro (only with Nvidia or AMD graphics) where it switches between processor graphics and dedicated graphics where sometimes it will not switch and has to be set in the drivers manually. Notebook model will tell us this :)

Anti virus software could be blocking a certain action such as a registry or memory call causing the software to crash, or the firewall blocks an outbound or incoming packet causing the game to disconnect or crash.

Too little memory could cause the game to start caching to hard drive in which case performance is degraded or the application crashes.

Lastly is heating issues where a tin of compressed air blown at an angle into the exhaust vents of the laptop will loosen and mostly clear any clogged dust.

The game is based on a modified unity engine if I remember and most of the time it's crashes are due to drivers. Most laptops include a driver update tool from the brand and Nvidia and AMD drivers include an update notification. Sometimes it's even a software conflict that is not evident.

My suggestion is to run the driver update tools first, see if that helps and then diagnose from there.