3DXChat Community

It's just a question. ang vs other languages

Briana

Yes...just a question,I really dont want to start any war here about languages used on world chat window ,but...after many complaints about the use of french or other languages there,some become angry to read me  french there and that make me sick. It is true a rule here specified the use of other language are prohibited on 3dx world chat? Thank u tell letting me know.

Love ya ;) xxx

Briana

Unfortunately, Briana, there does appear to be a restriction.

I am probably a lone voice in the wilderness but, as this is an international game, I think that it is appalling.

With all due respect to those non-English speakers, I would prefer to see native tongue (which, if I am interested, I can translate) than try and decipher poor English.

It is a difficult question, Briana. 
I hope I don't offend you with my statement. But I believe that, by using the global chat channel and the local channels linked to the non-private rooms, you should, by default, aim to make yourself understood by as many as possible.
Said channels serve as a way for people to engage in a grand conversation with others. By using other languages than English, one suddenly reduces the amount of people being able to participate greatly. And if only a minority of those present are able to take part in a conversation which is still being "forced" upon them, then what is the point of having a global channel? 

2.05. Spamming or posting nonsensical messages is prohibited in the chats. This also includes excessive use of caps.   :huh: 

2.12. Discussion on or linking to unreleased content cheats, hacks, Trojan horses, or malicious programs is prohibited. If you suspect that a cheat or hack exists or have any other problems or concerns on these topics, provide the necessary information to technical support.

:rolleyes: 

2.01. Excessive use of bad language.

2.02. Insults, personal attacks, abuse or harassment are not tolerated on any level.

:blink:

Y'a, I know Tipsy how badly I shitted on you... :( and many others in my role play

love ya ;) xxx

Briana

2.05. Spamming or posting nonsensical messages is prohibited in the chats. This also includes excessive use of caps.   :huh: 

2.12. Discussion on or linking to unreleased content cheats, hacks, Trojan horses, or malicious programs is prohibited. If you suspect that a cheat or hack exists or have any other problems or concerns on these topics, provide the necessary information to technical support.

:rolleyes: 

Oh shit. Like 90% of what I say is nonsensical. :unsure:

(And the other 10% is usually some pretty bad language. But good language to describe what I'm describiing usually feels wrong...  :blink:  )

Unfortunately, Briana, there does appear to be a restriction.

I am probably a lone voice in the wilderness but, as this is an international game, I think that it is appalling.

With all due respect to those non-English speakers, I would prefer to see native tongue (which, if I am interested, I can translate) than try and decipher poor English.

*Raises her hand* You're not a lone voice... I agree with everything you said. In fact I add that since this is an international game, there could be optional public channels of the 5 most spoken languages besides english or so.

I didnt know about this rule, and must admit im quite a bit surprised... I surely understand that the majority is english native speaking ingame, but does some words - from time to time -  in foreign langauge hurt so bad?

In times where tolerance is almost a forgotten word, this may fit well in the rules... out of standard ? not requested.... ;)

Nonetheless i'll surely follow the rules, im in no need to play the rebel in here..lol...these were just my few thoughts bout that...

I think I can clarify this a bit... This is a rule from the very beginning times of 3Dx land when there was a lot fewer people inhabiting the area...  This rule was instated because there would be times when nothing but people speaking a certain language would be in a place and you were unable to copy/paste it into a translator at the point... so for people that only spoke english it was a bit off putting to come into that and in the early days they had to build subscriptions.  So they simply had to standardize in public chat because everyone seems to be able to speak that language at least a little bit and it'd seem more inviting to newcomers.  I'm talking before group chat and PMs were enabled here too... I played this for two months back in 2013 before there was much of anything on 3Dx as far as content.  So don't beat up on it... the rules haven't been updated yet and I do think revisions need to be made.

So don't beat up on it... the rules haven't been updated yet and I do think revisions need to be made.

Oh, I don't know. They took out the "no sex on the dance floor" rule for no reason at all. So, it's not like the rules have never been revised.

This issue has come up more than once in the past, and there are more than a few people who have asked for this "English only" rule to be removed. But since there is no enforcement of whatsoever, the question of whether it should be removed or not is somewhat moot.

I am strongly in favor of letting people do what they want to do when and where they want to do it. But if someone asks me not to do it in their face, I respect that request, too.

I'm primarily an English speaker and I am overly fluent in the language having studied English and dabbled in writing from time to time. However I do not feel it is necessary at all to force a single spoken language to be the only allowed one regardless of whether it's an international trade language etc.

Not everybody is fluent in English however I have great respect and admiration for those who attempt to make themselves understood regardless of the handicap it forces upon them. They try and communicate in English and we could extend the same courtesy to them by attempting to communicate in their native tongue.

Personally I don't care what language is in local or world chat and if you want to speak your native dialect please go right ahead. I am also highly fluent in Afrikaans which is a form of Dutch that we adapted here and as such can make myself understood to Dutch speakers too and I speak with them regularly and I do this in WC. I also don't care if you don't like it :P

The English only point is a rather idiotic and short sighted rule considering the myriad cultures and languages in game and should be removed. It is only really useful if the game were aimed at a specific country or demographic which it clearly isn't.

This tells you which camp I am in.

Just my 2c as usual.

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, reading the revised rules that were posted by GIzmo today, I found this.

2.14. All Languages are allowed in public chats, but be respectful.

So three cheers to the Devs for listening to the users. And, hey, let's all be respectful out there. :P

Please_Be_Respectful_by_BeautifulDragon3

well I don't care one way or the other.

if people wish to talk to me it will have to be in English, that is all I speak, I don't have any wish to change,

it just gets to be a bit silly in the chat channels if a lot of different languages are being spoken at the same time ....pointless really I guess that's why other games have other channels for other languages....................................................

JUST SAYIN