3DXChat Community

Dragon Age : Inquisition (And the series... also spoilers.)

TheGreatNyeh

I'm sure some of you play it because I've talked to some people in chat that have... I have some questions.  Who's your favorite companion?  Character in the series? Romance option?  These questions burn in my heart and must be answered.  I shall answer first.

My favorites companion just to pal around with was Blackwall.  I know... brooding, rightous, and a murderer you say? Well what do I care if he killed some family somewhere? They probbably had it coming for something their ancestors did.  We all do anyway.

My favorite character in the series overall is Morrigan... It doesn't hurt that her mother is an old god herself and my Warden got in with her in DA:O.  And went through the portal to boot so they raised little old god up together too for a bit... Just figures he couldn't keep that soul.

Favorite Romance Option in Inquisition was Sera because the climatic scene was hilarious and my dwarf bow rogue and her looked quite interesting together.  My overall pick would be Merill... I just loved her dialouge in DA2.  Still makes me laugh whenever I see it in videos.

Oh boy... someone got me to talk about Dragon Age. Be warned, this post is likely to be big and with no TL;DR…

Favorite companion: Vivienne

I loved her character, she’s in a lot a ways the kind of woman I hope to be: the kind who turns a deck stacked against her on her favor and is the living proof that mages can (or at least could before the rebellion) hope for change working within the system. She’s also the only Loyalist fraternity mage that doesn’t sound like a spineless apologist. Made her Divine in my first playthrough, out of the three candidates, she’s the only one with the political prowess to handle the Sunburst Throne, imo.

Favorite character overall: Morrigan, I guess

Yes, “I guess”. I’m one of these people who enjoys the story and setting as a whole rather than one individual instance or character of the series. That being said, there are some highlight moments that make characters shine in my eyes. One character that’s had a good deal of these moments for me is Morrigan, she feels like the most humane and believable character of the series at some points, unlike some others that are either well known clichés(Isabela and Zevran as the promiscuous rogues.. Merill as the naïve dangerous girl.. etc) or personified ideals (Blackwall, Solas, Sten, etc). Nothing wrong both kinds of characters, they aren’t any less enjoyable ones because of it, but fiction is just way too filled with them for any character that fits those stereotypes to really stand out to me like Morrigan. One could argue that Morrigan is the classic “tsudere”, and I suppose that’s valid(ish)… but her passion for knowledge and her care for those close to her make her too much relatable for me.. I just can’t see her as a stereotypical character.. that part “I’ll not be to him the same mother you were to me” has my eyes moisty all the time *-*. Claudia Black’s sexy goes a long way too ^^.

Favorite Romance: ?

“?”, because it really depends on the character. My Dalish Rogue Warden in Origins felt a very deep love for Alistair, up to the point of intentionally keeping him out of the fray on her most dangerous mission, my mage Hawke had the cutest lesbian relationship with Merill (kinda like my previous relationship). My Knight Enchanter Inquisitor is enjoying a very good ride on her Iron Bull, having a fetish on Qunari and all (also, kinda like myself since Sten on Origins… and being the only girl player that I know of that wished for a flirt with the Arishok in 2). I enjoy every romance as they come, I don’t really have a favorite one, mostly because I’m so deep in roleplaying my characters that on each playthrough there isn’t really any other person in their eyes other than their chosen LI. I have however some characters that I couldn’t romance and don’t believe I ever will.. Zevran is one (he just doesn't attract me) and Blackwall is another (the whole lying about who you are bit hits way too close to home for my taste… and I can’t really put my characters through such disappointment.. having suffered from similar disappointment myself).

Also, if you’re looking for interesting talks Nyeh, I work at the local “Blooming Rose” (The Pleasure Nest). Would be nice to chat with a fellow geek ^^.

Just so happens I frequent there whenever it opens just for that very reason to chat up people... I reckon I can add ya to the list of fine folks I go there to visit!  That is... whenever I get back to a place I can actually logon to visit.  Nevertheless, I'm sure we'll talk at length at a later date on such things... also thinking of simply starting a conversation thread on here just to talk to people 'cause it's the only line of communication I've got open currently.

As for your choices... Very sounds judgement.  Morrigan is the most interesting character by a long shot to me.  I loved her approach to everything in Origins and the conversations you can have with her in Inquisition. 

A lot of people don't like Vivi for some reason but I made her divine on my first playthrough too.  I enjoyed her straightforwardness but I didn't too much enjoy her picking on Cole during banter... Cole would be behind Blackwall to as my favorite character in Inquisition too.  I read his origin story in Asunder and I was decently invested in his story by the time I got to Inquisition. 

Favorite character for me is probably Blackwall for the same reasons Nyeh mentioned.

My favorite romance was one where my character was not involved. It was the romance between Iron Bull and Dorian that you hear about at some point if you have them in your party.

Favorite character in the series is definitely Morrigan.

I think people dislike Viv because she often makes a point of how pointless and nonsensical the mage's rebellion are in her opinion. While I disagree with her in some things I agree with her that the Libertarians were pretty stupid to rebel in the aftermath of two terrorist attacks on the Chantry, as they didn't grasp that the common man's fear of magic was pretty much at the peak because of said attacks.

Yeah, she wasn't the central figure in asunder but she was playing a part in it all trying to prevent the collapse of the circles. That book was a far better read than the other DA books in my opinion... I could never get around to finishing the masked empire because I generally found i couldn't bring myself to care about Briala or Selene and it was still the same when the wicked minds/hearts party mission came along. I just made them all work together like the spoiled brats they were... Even Briala seemed to have that haughtiness I hate.

I absolutely enjoyed Blackwall. He was just following wartime orders anyway. He's a survivor, doing whatever it takes to make it. He just happened to reform himself when he took Blackwall's name. I think he was a lot more like what Iron Bull is now before he took that Grey Warden role... And had to go into hiding because of some orlaisian prick went to hanging his men.

Yeah, she wasn't the central figure in asunder but she was playing a part in it all trying to prevent the collapse of the circles. That book was a far better read than the other DA books in my opinion... I could never get around to finishing the masked empire because I generally found i couldn't bring myself to care about Briala or Selene and it was still the same when the wicked minds/hearts party mission came along. I just made them all work together like the spoiled brats they were... Even Briala seemed to have that haughtiness I hate.

I absolutely enjoyed Blackwall. He was just following wartime orders anyway. He's a survivor, doing whatever it takes to make it. He just happened to reform himself when he took Blackwall's name. I think he was a lot more like what Iron Bull is now before he took that Grey Warden role... And had to go into hiding because of some orlaisian prick went to hanging his men.

My issue with Blackwall is that after that debacle I can't help but see him as preaching something he didn't quite believe in. I agree that as a soldier in times of war he can't be really responsible for following a shady order.. but... then he comes preaching ideals after comitting that atrocity? If he really believes what he says why didn't he desert when he was given those orders? I'm all for redemption stories.. but I feel that the truth about Blackwall came at too late a point in the plot for me to give him a redemption opportunity. By that point in the plot I was more intrigued by what laid in store for me in the Arbor Wilds then the stuff with Blackwall.. which is a shame, 'cause I really loved the character up until the truth came out... would have loved a more in depht. redemption arc for him

That is true that you didn't get enough plot after he comes out with his past. I sure would've loved to have gotten more redemption in the but i think as a character he's still pretty solid. He took up the grey warden ideals after the real Blackwall died and he took on that mantle. I'm thinking at the beginning he was playing the part of A rightous grey warden because no one had known he'd been conscripted so he was still trying to keep out of trouble. Then as he kept going with the Blackwall cover he adapted those ideals more fully and mulled over what the real Blackwall had told him. Finally the guilt drove him to confess as more of his former comrads were being hanged and it was time to put up or shut up if he was going to continue down the path to becoming a better man.

Oh.. I don' question that Blackwall is a solid character, that I care enough about his redemption arc (or lack thereof) is a testament to my appreciation of his writing. I like when characters cause a reaction on me, Blackwall is one of these characters.

He sure did so that. I had to play through his sentencing in the throne room more than once to see what his reactions would be to the various options.

Speaking of judgements... Duchess in a box's community service option has to be one of the funniest lines in video game history. I bloody damn near hurt myself laughing the first time I heard that.

He sure did so that. I had to play through his sentencing in the throne room more than once to see what his reactions would be to the various options.

Speaking of judgements... Duchess in a box's community service option has to be one of the funniest lines in video game history. I bloody damn near hurt myself laughing the first time I heard that.

I'll have to see that xD. The moment I laughed the most in gaming so far was on ME 3 Citadel DLC: "It appears this drone is preparing to rebel." - Javik

I played only Dragon age Origin so my choice will be limited i think , but :

My favorite compagnon : Leliana and Morrigan

My favorite romance : Well as it seem that its not possible with Morrigan when you are lesbian , i would say Leliana :D

I played only Dragon age Origin so my choice will be limited i think , but :

My favorite compagnon : Leliana and Morrigan

My favorite romance : Well as it seem that its not possible with Morrigan when you are lesbian , i would say Leliana :D

Leliana is my canon romance, she's friggin cute ^^.

Leliana is pretty cute but she's too serious all the time for my tastes. I don't get enough luls out of Leliana for me to like her a whole lot. Even Blackwall was able to make a funny now and again.

What about her pet nug in Origins? That was one of the funniest things in the game. Though in Inquisition I'll agree that shr's way too serious.

Leliana in DA Inquisition kinda remind me of Shaundi in Saint Row 3... They are a more focus, darker outlook and more driven version of there original character. 

I do remember when Leliana use to talk about shoes in Origin and other much lighter conversation. 

I am not trying to compare the two games. lol But only that aspect of those two characters. hehe

Leliana in DA Inquisition kinda remind me of Shaundi in Saint Row 3... They are a more focus, darker outlook and more driven version of there original character.

I do remember when Leliana use to talk about shoes in Origin and other much lighter conversation.

I am not trying to compare the two games. lol But only that aspect of those two characters. hehe

I'm not sure I would go *that* far. Leliana in Inquisition looks pretty much how she described herself as a bard in Origins

I'm not sure I would go *that* far. Leliana in Inquisition looks pretty much how she described herself as a bard in Origins

I still think that the lost of Divine Justina had a profound impact on Leliana and she is now ready to do whatever is needed to be done to make sure the Divine didn't die in vain.

There no one more dedicated to the cause of the Inquition then Leliana. She give a pretty good exemple when you go throught the alternative timeline with the Rebel Mages. 

I think it goes much beyond the court game in Orlais back when she was a bard and then becaBackme the spymaster of the Inquisition. 

Sure, the actions of the Inquisitor can help smooth her a bit, but I do beleive is been changed after the death of Justina. 

Back to my little comparison, I might find there a ressemblance between those two because much the characters are impacted by the death of someone close. 

Only my opinion :)

But see.. Shaundi in SR3/4 is the stark opposite of the Shaundi we get to know in 2. It's up to the point that she's a completly different character, and that's even before Gat "dies". While Leliana has been hardened by Justinia's death she hasn't turned into a completly different person.

But see.. Shaundi in SR3/4 is the stark opposite of the Shaundi we get to know in 2. It's up to the point that she's a completly different character, and that's even before Gat "dies". While Leliana has been hardened by Justinia's death she hasn't turned into a completly different person.

Point taken :) I just thought there was a similarity.

And yes, they even make a joke in Saint Row 4 about how much Shaundi had changed. (More like they rewrote the character) I kinda like when they put the new and the old beside each other. I guess one of the good thing of being in a virtual world. 

Oh.. I don' question that Blackwall is a solid character, that I care enough about his redemption arc (or lack thereof) is a testament to my appreciation of his writing. I like when characters cause a reaction on me, Blackwall is one of these characters.

His fucking betrayal got on my tits that much, i made that little asshole my slave by conscripting him to serve the inquisition! muwahaha

Dragon age origins i actually played a female dalish elf on my first playthrough, and i romanced Alistair, but the bastard broke it off with me (on my first playthrough i wasn't aware that you could choose that dialogue option to "harden" him then you can convince him to let you be his mistress :S)

Alistair's romance was just SO GOOD! it was the first time i ever experienced such a thing in a game that intimate and i loved the fact that he was so goofy and innocent! there are actually some dialogue options you can pick that are on the verge of bullying him! how could anyone do thaaaaat!?

also SPOILERS:              I had the most hard fucking decision in inquisition, because the save state i used had Alistair in place of Stroud as the Grey warden (in the save state, i made alistair not take the throne and just stay as a grey warden), meaning i had to choose between Hawke or Alistair during that scene in the fade....so....yeah...i dont want to think about that moment ever again lol

My favourite character in inquisition was probably Cassandra! I just love the whole tough girl attitude, and i love that she's older too (she's in her 40s i believe) but idk, during the course of the game i got this "mothering" vibe from her towards my inquisitor which i liked. Plus her reactions to anything romantic or personal are just amazing.

In terms of romance in inquisition, as a gay male you probably all expect me to say "Dorian", but my god i fucking HATED HIM! I understand why people like him because of how sassy he is, but upon first getting him into my party and in skyhold, some of the scenes with him, he actually made some bitchy and undermining comments towards my inquisitor in a rather vain way, as to big himself up. I fucking hated him. I still decided to romance him on my first playthrough, and i liked him a lot more as it progressed, but my first impressions of him just stick in my mind, and i honestly don't really like his personality that much. Not to mention the fact that he's from tevinter and just talks about how fine it for people to be bloody slaves! he's just too bloody full of himself and i just don't like him all that much.

Atm, im playing a Qunari male rogue and plan to romance the Iron bull, since he's fucking awesome and not annoying like dorian: "IM TOO PRETTY TO DIE" *SLAPS*