3DXChat Community

Why alternative characters?

Guest MrRob

Hi everyone,

I've raised this before in-game and it prompted an interesting discussion. I wanted to add it here so that other people could air their thoughts or at least think about it because I think it's something players of this game should definitely consider.

There is a similar game to 3DXChat out there which has this statement on it's website:

"You will also be asked to choose a Gender. This can be whatever you wish, and does not have to be your true Gender. This is a fantasy world, so feel free to be whoever you want to be."

With each account in 3DXChat there are 3 character slots with 3 different profiles. I think this means that the above statement applies to 3DXChat too, however I have found that in-game there are many people who expect players to be true to their real life selves in character and profile, and that characters that are not are considered fakers. If this is the case why have three character slots with three profiles? 

Putting two people together who have opposing views on this often causes issues. I've seen it happen several times. So what is the correct approach?

Whew, that's a doozy that one.. ^.^

We have this quote on our website thusly "Join the world where all your secret desires come true, where you can be anyone and where you can do anything you want." Soo.. to me, that sounds like the choice is yours to make.

Naturally actions beget consequences whichever you choose, and some people have strong beliefs on the subject.. Whoever you decide to be, you should have a healthy respect for everyone else.

Personally I'm very easy going and carefree with this sort of thing.. but I'm bi, sooo... that probably makes it easy for me.

"Naturally actions beget consequences whichever you choose, and some people have strong beliefs on the subject. Whoever you decide to be, you should have a healthy respect for everyone else." as Polte said.

Ofcourse multiple characers offer players a chance to play to the fullest more of their fantasies, at the same time they also allow players to trick and play others.

Ofcourse multiple characters slots allows players to chop and change avoiding a times unpleasant situations, at the same time it also allows players to do what they want and not bear any consequences, as they can simply poof out of circulation and reappear as a total new person.

Much more could be said.....

But I truly beleive Polte said it all, whatever one does, we should have a healthy respect for everyone else.

Ofcourse multiple characers offer players a chance to play to the fullest more of their fantasies, at the same time they also allow players to trick and play others.

Ofcourse multiple characters slots allows players to chop and change avoiding a times unpleasant situations, at the same time it also allows players to do what they want and not bear any consequences, as they can simply poof out of circulation and reappear as a total new person.

These are interesting points which I hadn't thought of before. Perhaps there could be something in the profile that identifies "real" chars from "fantasy" chars. Would that ruin the fantasy of being someone other than yourself? At least then everyone can know then make the choice to be with you or not. This would be a lot safer.

These are interesting points which I hadn't thought of before. Perhaps there could be something in the profile that identifies "real" chars from "fantasy" chars. Would that ruin the fantasy of being someone other than yourself? At least then everyone can know then make the choice to be with you or not. This would be a lot safer.

Would that not defeat the whole object ? Kill the  whole *new* characterization? Maybe the tricking and playing others , is the exact purpose of some fantasies ? This is however the only server that has this facility, and Im sure time will bring us a lot of answers. I also ask, can ppl really hide, no matter how many characters they make up?

Guest AxelKool

Hello everyone ( and sorry in advance for my English ^ ^)

In a virtual sexgame, you can do what you want and without any limit:

You want to be like in your real life, find real friends or find true love.
You prefer to invent a new character completely opposite to your real life.
Or create a character that is a mix of both.
Want to be a good friend without sex.
Or you just want to be a fucker.
You want to be multiple people.

You can do what you want and there are certainly many other combinations .

Everyone's freedom is the most important thing about this game from the moment the freedom of the other players is respected. My character in 3DXchat is rather close to me, but I do not judge and I do not want to impose on others a way to do it. From the moment the rules regarding harassment, racism, etc. ... are respected, it does not have any problem for me if someone has different characters.
If I start talking to a person and our expectations on this site are different, we pass our way peacefully (as in real life in fact).

Would that not defeat the whole object ? Kill the  whole *new* characterization? Maybe the tricking and playing others , is the exact purpose of some fantasies ? This is however the only server that has this facility, and Im sure time will bring us a lot of answers. I also ask, can ppl really hide, no matter how many characters they make up?

I don't know if a system that tried to identify real people from fantasy characters would be 100% effective.. Wouldn't it require the person to tick one of two boxes? How would we know if they tick truthfully?

Either way, I think Bran might be right. This kind of system would dilute the fantasy.. and the person we're trying to identify, and what they are here for is important too.

Some people can hide behind a lot of masks. Others aren't so adept at that kind of thing. I believe that having a simple chat with the person you're interested in, and chatting often is the best way to figure someone out for yourself. It's not a sure thing, but a lot of the time the truth slips through the cracks eventually. You just have to have a good memory and keen eyes, hehe.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I created a female avatar once and although I never used it as such in the game it lost me a good friend so  I only have one avatar and it will stay that way. I wish I could regain the friendship of the person I upset but I'm resigned to it not happening :(

Lesson learned and noted .

I must say for me the gender behind the avatar does not count, why someone may ask.

This is a game and so everyone can play what he/she wants noone asks you when you register what gender you want to be. So its possible that the person on the other side is not what you think.

For me the person behind the avatar is an actor that plays a role and when he/she can play this role good and its fun to chat or what else why should I think about the gender.

I see this as a rpg were you can be who you want. Its part of the fantasy not to know who the person really is.

Well, I created a female avatar once and although I never used it as such in the game it lost me a good friend so  I only have one avatar and it will stay that way. I wish I could regain the friendship of the person I upset but I'm resigned to it not happening :(

Lesson learned and noted .

I'm sorry to hear that you lost a friend this way Denis. It highlights the problem that can be caused between two people with different points of view on this. It would be really good to have a solution but for the life of me I can't think of one without sacrificing some of the fantasy involved. I still think something to indicate "real" vs "unreal" characters is worth considering and could save a lot of pain.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very interesting subject. What is the real you in a virtual game ? I sure don't look like my avatar, hehe, lack of customization option  for the moment is the main reason why I am not closer to myself. But when it come to playing Skar, it pretty much me as I would be in real life except that I am playing a social/sex game. 

I find the use of alt characters very useful when it come to Roleplay different situation that would not fit Skar persona. The golden rule that I apply while using a alt it to make it clear to everyone you are playing with that this is a alt and avoid any useless confusion or awkward situation. 

I usually write in the profile : Character for RolePlay / A description (bla bla bla)  / Alternate Character of Skar.

It can be liberating to be able to wear a different skin once in a while, I think it expend horizon and shape perpective. And gosh, it just fun :) nothing like a good roleplay.  :wub:

. i agree with you there Skar .

. the whole entirity of having alternative characters is solely the main purpose of becoming someone that you're not .

. but with that being said, a lot of us put our real selves into our characters .

. thusly, making our experiences (whether they be filled with drama/love/fun/sex && everything inbetween ... .

. that is what makes it all so real to us .

. and since we all perceive it as such ... .

. who's to say on the outside what is real and what is not real .

. we all make 'real' friends that are in actuality 'real' people .

. and we all really care and love them in our own ways .

. so if by having these 'alt characters' is what it takes to feel 'normal' in this life .

. then who's to say what is real and what isn't .

. because it is real to each and every one of us .

. :3 .

I think we are diverging from the point here. I beleive what Skar meant (?) is precisely  that these 2 extra slots maybe used to create *fantasy* avatars to role play, getting away precisely from whom we are on our 1st  or main avatar ( the real person aspect).

He however feels he does not have the necessity to hide those fantasies, as he sees them as normal and approppriate for this type of game, and  has no need to  hide behind them, going as far as reflecting it on  the profiles.

However, the question goes deeper than this. Do people have the right to hide behind additional avatars to test, cheat, play, etc others ?

And here we have a world of answers ...

How seriously should one take this game ? Are the relations here real ? Do we get emotional ? Are we here just to have fun, just another game we switch on? Do we beleive people to be who they claim ? Is this an aid to jerking off ( let´s give it the proper name, we all adults here ) ? How does one cheat on an avatar ? Pixel love ? Real love ? Emotions emotions emotions?

Yesssssssssssssssssssss I could sit here for hours popping questions in favour and against. So , whats the answer ???????

Forgive me, for being so basic, but once again, I beleive it boils down to *respect* for others. We can feel, fantasize, dream, do anything we like.

But our freedom stops where the other person's privacy starts <3

. *lol* indeed i did divert from the actual point of the conversation .

. my apologies :) .

. but i think that just furthers even more questions? .

. why even have those extra 2 slots for our characters when i would believe that most of us just use the one? .

. && there is plenty of chat chat && rumor about men being women and/or women being men in game .

. but are we all so distrusting in this game that we have to use other characters ? .

. or are we just over-indulging in the pleasure of playing a game such as this ? .

. && i am not at all saying its wrong .

. and evidently it is not in the least against the rules (hence, why we have the extra two slots) .

. but who am i to say what we all do in our time playing this game .

. it is indeed 'a game,' and we all make it however we want to make it as .

. i do not think there is anything wrong with that in the slightest .

. so i suppose the bottom line is that we use those 2 slots however we want to . 

. because hey, we all have multiple personalities in our own special way :) .

. we just have two times the chance of expressing it now (if that makes sense) .

. :) .

Edited by JenaMiyu

Actually it doesn't....personally I only have one personality, unless I get diagnosed "Schizophrenia". Its not about playing multiple personalities, but *fantasies**fetiches*, these being the non harmfull ones and full of fun if met with receptness from others.

People playing the oppessite sex, has by itself many explanations, also not the issue here but yes, the possibility that they can on this server.

Blablabalbal

I still beleive that the *intention* behind using those 2 extra slots is what counts.....malice or pleasure ????

"There is no spoon"

Reality is boring, making reality in game turns it into boring place. I have 2 chars that ment to be quite opposite in behavior like the different sides of me (and yes Bran, we all Shizophrenics more or less. Coz we acts different at home with friends and on our work, public places even if we do not notice it). But im not that pro, so those two sides at the end merge into schizophrenic real me represented by Adelaide. But if i'll get some inspiration reading book or watching movie ill made third char to share that inspiration with others, letting them know that it's still me under that, ofc.

i believe this is the fantasy and each and every one of us is entitled to their own fantasy in which ever way they may enjoy. if it is a question of which sex one wants to play, it is also up to who ever is switching, this is the beauty of fantasy. (btw i am a woman an i have the curves to prove it lol) . but in many cases its a fact of just being able to feel what the opposite sex feels, maybe to help them to pleasure others or themselves, as we know boys and girls are pretty much different in most things, and yes i would love to feel what a man feels in so many ways, simply cause men are creatures with no description attached to them, but thats only my opinion and for me not enough reason to switch sex.

i guess what im trying to say is, if u do play the opposite sex than i hope u enjoy it for the fullest, its a unique way to experince the opposite of urself and i wish it was possible in rl.

so live up to what ever u do, it is ur fantasy and u live how u think u enjoy it  :ph34r:

Acting different does in no way reflect *Shizophrenia* or *multiple personalities* , merely how one opens or reacts to different situations, environments, people etc. Multiple personalities is exactly what is says, as if 2 completly dif. people in the same situations. An d I sincerly hope none of us are or have multiple personalities, its not a joke :( Imagination, fantisizing, fetiches,  one avatar or more ,,,at the end of the day, still us, in control, having a bawl:

P.s: Who would not like to try and be the opp. sex, even if for a short time :P Who hasn't tried this fantasy? Ops behave Bran...

P.s: Who would not like to try and be the opp. sex, even if for a short time :P Who hasn't tried this fantasy? Ops behave Bran...

. *raises hand enthusiastically* .

. ohh, that is one dark fantasy i wish i could fulfill, mmmm ;) .

. maybe not so much as being a man fully, but having the ..*clears throat* 'parts' to fulfill another's needs *giggles* .

. then again ... .

. why only choose to have a slice of the pie && not the whole thing ... ;) .

Some thought to share about this topic

For those of you who don't know me, I used to play female avatar called KitCat. I played it for almost a month. I think I was very good at it, and managed to fool almost everyone. And yes, that includes sexual interactions with girls. I didnt try sexual interactions with the boys, so maybe they would have cought me if I did, but im not attracted to the male genitalia.

Now lets get on to the imprtant stuff. The reason which made me play female. I must say I tried several avatars when I just started playing 3DXChat. some of them were males and some females. I felt more comofortable playing female. I still do.

For those of us who try to interact with others in 3DXChat world, and I mean meaningfull interactions, as one might suggest that cold invitation and mute intercorse are also ways of interaction, but im not talking about those ways. Im talking about conversation, both in pms and in public chat, about all sort of topics, not just sex, social interactions as we experiance them irl. In those interactions, I felt more free to be myself, while playing female avatar. let me give you an example. One of the days we were a group of 7 on the beach. 5 girls and 2 guys, one of them was semi afk. Im counting myself as one of the girls. We were having lots of fun, and all the girls were dancing in a cricle around the guy who wasnt afk.  At one point one of the girls crashed. after a few minutes she came back. and crashed again. I said its not fair, and we should protest against the server kicking her. I sugested that we all take off our bikini tops as protest. now imagine the whole situation but with me as a male there. I couldnt be dancing in a circle around the guy, couldnt I? How would you interpurt my sugestion to take off our bikini top, had it been said by a man? knowing I have a libido and sexual drive, seeing the girls as potential partners? just think about it.

We all take our interactions experiance from rl and use it here on 3DXChat world. There is no escape from it. And we all treat males and females differently. And im not talking about discrimination here. Im talking about basic expectations we have for proper conduct from each gender. Thus if I played male avatar on the example I gave, I would have missed the fun. You can say I had a chance to get a different kind of fun. But this is disrespectful. I know myself good enough to decide what kind of fun I like. And if you think my fun comes from cheating the girls to take off their clothes... for all I care you can stop reading now, cos obviously Im not getting through to you.

I remember kindergarden. At that early age of 4 and 5 we already were devided to gender groups, crated by sociaty and not by the teacher. The division was not complete so I got to "cross the lines" occasionaly. My personal experiance from that was profound. The boys where pushing, shoving, shouting, and competing. The girls were quiete, laughing, helping and sharing. Im not ashamed to say I liked playing with the girls more than I enjoyed playing with the boys. I still do. I think this experiance can help shed more light on my playing female decision.

Now I play male avatar. I miss playing female. In most part, girls precived to be more communicative than males. They have to be that way, since solving conflicts using raw power is hardly an option for them. So they communicate themselvs out of conflicts. Being the communicative person that I am, I can totaly relate to that. and this is why I miss playing a female. Not to mention all the pretty clothes they have...

There is one thing im not missing. That is lying to my friends. It was never comfortable for me. I dont like to lie and Im trying not to lie at all when I dont have to. My reason is simple: there are many lies but only one truth. Its so much easyer to remember the truth, than many lies told to different people. Lying here wasnt hard in that sense, since I told the same lie to many people. But it was still a lie, and I feel better, now that I dont have to lie.

I think this is all I had to say, but feel free to ask me here or ingame any question. Worse thing I will not answer it. Have a nice day.

Now I play male avatar. I miss playing female. In most part, girls precived to be more communicative than males. They have to be that way, since solving conflicts using raw power is hardly an option for them. So they communicate themselvs out of conflicts. Being the communicative person that I am, I can totaly relate to that. and this is why I miss playing a female. Not to mention all the pretty clothes they have...

. based on this post .

. i believe people should be comfortable playing whoever they wish to play as .

. this is what is part of playing in a 'fantasy world' .

. where you can be whatever fantasy character you wish to be .

. && as far as lying to others, that of course i do not ever agree with .

. but being yourself and who you are comfortable as i do agree with .

. just as long as you let people know the truth and your intent then that's up to them to be understanding of you .

. && whether they like it or not, that's their own decision .

. now, of course, not everyone will agree to it .

. && that's understandable .

. you can't ever force someone to agree with your decision .

. but you should never hide it just out of respect for others .

. && FYI, the female clothes are HOT! :D .

I would have tought a moment of chilling and regaining ppls  trust would have been a beter choice but meh  thats my opinion, but ofc I have to answer your post, or at least make a few comments, at least in defense of  the *men* I know.

".....I sugested that we all take off our bikini tops as protest. now imagine the whole situation but with me as a male there. I couldnt be dancing in a circle around the guy, couldnt I? How would you interpurt my sugestion to take off our bikini top, had it been said by a man?.........Thus if I played male avatar on the example I gave, I would have missed the fun."

You are assuming that all guys are a stereo type, narrow minded idiots here. My male friends, whether hetrosexual, bisexual or gay , have absolutly no issues in doing both of the things you mentioned above, and on their male avatars. Gawd I have seen them do much worse lol.

"...And if you think my fun comes from cheating the girls to take off their clothes... "

Suprise, hate to shock you into reality, but thats exactly what you did, you lied in order to get girls to take of their clothes. Whether you did it with malice or not, is not for me to judge, and only you can know the truth. but lets not pretend or camouflage what you did, you lied and y pretending to be someone you were not, you cheated those girls of their choice.

"...since solving conflicts using raw power is hardly an option for them. So they communicate themselvs out of conflicts"

I dont know in what social groups you hang, but the above pretty much applies to the men in my life, whether family or socially etc. What century you live in, where men solve their issues by the muscle ? Sorry to say but once again you are giving a very low, narrow , sad opinion of the male sex.

To sum up things, you can spend eternity trying to excuse yourself for lieing to your friends but what you did was wrong. Let me clarify, playing a female char if you a male is by no means wrong, its fun and thats what we here for, but all the additional lies are uncalled for and not necessary. Being honest to your friends is always a better option, and quite frankly who gives a ..... what avatar you play.

With all the above said, Im glad you told us the truth, but what I really hope is that you have no more *need* or *excuses* to lie again. Because in this whole  story,  very cool people got hurt by the lies and deception.

You will to some have to prove yourself, regaining trust, from the people that were once your friends or are still, if they mean or are worth to you. Because no matter how you paint the picture, we all grew up with "... At that early age of 4 and 5 we already were devided to gender groups" and we handle it, its the society norms we live in, thus not an excuse for our *not so cool * behaviour.

I am not judging you, merely responding to a post you felt you had to write <3

I wish you all the best and I hope you remain with us for a very long time and WTH I would like to see you in your female avatar again, having fun with the girls ( if they girls) hahahahaha

<3

Now on a more general aspect, this is a public forum, this particualr thread a debate on why alternative characters, please do not use it for personal messages etc, it s a generic debate based on opinions, not for personal use to convey messages, as I said before and repeat,  a lot of ppl are involved, some are hurt, and I will not stand by and allow the begining of any drama, so any further posts on this matter will be deleted.

"My male friends, whether hetrosexual, bisexual or gay , have absolutly no issues in doing both of the things you mentioned above, and on their male avatars. Gawd I have seen them do much worse lol."

*whistle...*  :rolleyes:  :wub: 

• 4 weeks later...

And what if I don't want to know who is behind the character? I don't care about it, I don't want to be told the truth. Nothing serious in this game for me.

I want people to play good the role they chooses, that's all. And I'm going to do the same.

I do think you should be able to play this way, but here is the problem, there are people who expect you to be truthful about who you really are and there are people who don't. The trouble is, they don't mix too well.

So how do you solve it? With something that identifies a real avatar from a fantasy avatar? Where does reality end and the fantasy begin? Not an easy question to answer. How about separate areas? A place to live fantasy and a place to be yourself? At least then if you go to a certain area you know what you are getting. That might reduce the problem down a bit, but do you allow fantasy chars to enter reality areas and reality chars to enter fantasy areas? I don't know.